The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the way Paulie just hung around on the outskirts, with not one journalist giving a fuck that he was there, only for him to eventually be grabbed by local police who he had to inform that he was "a fighter".

The fact he was dressed like Joey Tribbiani's baw-faced brother made it all the sweeter.

• Paid Members

I'm currently sat in the pub of Dublin airport, waiting for transport to other parts of Ireland (am visiting friends in Offaly and family in Westmeath). Massively looking forward to watching this with a gang of Irish.

This was over 10 years ago but it's well worth a watch, probably Floyds greatest ever performance in my opinion. He has since stated he intentionally toyed with him. For non boxing fans, Gatti is one of the toughest fighters of his era and was rarely in a bad fight. He'd take one or two to get one in. But this was a masacre, i know Floyd has changed his style slightly since this but the skills are still there i imagine. 

Gatti was being trained by world renowned trainer Buddy Mcgirt at this time who had refined him a bit. 

• Paid Members

Why did you have to post that Porky? Poor Gatti :( 

It was one of Floyd's best performances though. The Diego Corrales fight was another. Hilarious looking back at that Corrales fight though, that Floyd said something in the build up like - 'Diego's a woman beater. I'm doing this for all the battered women out there'. Which is richer than him in hindsight. 

I know, i love Gatti but this was such a masterfull performance it should be appreciated from a boxing standpoint. I think people in general underestimate Floyds power, Pacquio got caught with a few coming in early and it changed the fight.

With all the bravado from Mcgregor about 1 and 2 round knockouts etc, and i genuinely think he does believe this, i think once he gets a few solid shots of Mayweather to the gut or the head his perspective on the fight will change. 

I think the only way Mcgregor can possibly win this is with a one shot total knockout like Marquez against Pacquio. As even if Floyd is caught and survives he will do what he done with Moseley and dominate. 

If i was a wealthy man i'd lump a load on Floyd at 2/7, it's free money. I think the odds may even come down further by fight night.

The gloves thing is a nice little spin on things. I read today Floyd has fought in 8 ounce gloves for 46 if his 49 fights!

• Paid Members

The thing is as well, people keep banging on about Conor's power as if all he has to do is touch Floyd with the left and it's done. But when you think about it, he sparred 20 total rounds/60 minutes with an out of shape and retired Paulie Malignaggi and couldn't knock him out. And when Paulie was coming to the end of his career, I could swear he was saying in interviews and stuff that he just couldn't absorb the shots like he used to and that was part of his decision to hang the gloves up. Yet he managed with McGregor's power. Even the very best version of Malignaggi is leagues and leagues below Mayweather as a boxer and this wasn't the best version of Malignaggi that Conor sparred. And even from the little few seconds we saw of the sparring, Conor did land that left flush at least once and, despite it looking a hard as fuck shot, Paulie didn't go down or even really buckle. If his power was as lethal as people are going on like it is then he should've been putting Paulie down heavy with a shot like that. 

I guess it's a testament to Conor's self promotion that he's got so many convinced but I just don't see it at all. 

Really hope I'm wrong but I just think a lot of people are getting carried away and swept up in McGregor's talk. I can see why but it's crackers to me that so many seem to think he's knocking out Mayweather in a few days. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

If his power was as lethal as people are going on like it is then he should've been putting Paulie down heavy with a shot like that. 

True but I guess they were wearing head protection. Also, even in a heated spar like that you aren't throwing with 100% fight night power are you?

Just caught the presser. Did Mayweather just face turn!? He came out of that looking like an alright bloke!

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Meh, I don't blame Paulie for doing this. In the McGregor bubble, it's exactly the move to make to secure your biggest pay day. Not going away and making this so public only helps him sell this fight to McGregor and the public; he knows, like this Mayweather match, if the public really wants it McGregor will go where the money is.

His patter is shite, though.

yeh i dont blame Paulie one bit. He stated on his podcast that as soon as there's a hint of a rivalry he will drum up the smack talk cause he's a bit of a worker. Paulie just gets it. You may not like the patter and the animosity might be genuine but Paulie is responding to the press because he knows it drums up interest and gets people talking about him.

Im actually looking forward to fight night when he can actually spill the beans a little on Conor's preperation (which he's said he will do)...hopefully Sky get to use him for a bit.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I think it's just two guys with a clue running with something that has slowly been building since Paulie said some silly things. While not completely phoney, the altercation yesterday, it was two guys hyping a fight.

spot on.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chunk said:

True but I guess they were wearing head protection. Also, even in a heated spar like that you aren't throwing with 100% fight night power are you?

they probably were in their case, they do wear 16oz gloves though to minimise the damage though. That said, Paulie's headgear was minimal, his entire face/chin was exposed.

Archived