The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Dana said 9 of Floyd's last 12 round fights his opponents landed less than 100 punches. Conor landed something like 111, in 10. Decent.

He's tried phoning Max Kellerman to remind him he said Conor would land none. Kellerman has vanished.

Bear in mind Floyd was a lot more open in this fight than he usually would be. Also I think he knew McGregor had no power in his punches once he took that uppercut in the first round and it didn't even move him. You can also look at the amount of illegal punches he hit (there must have been over 100) and what was considered legal by Compubox.

• Paid Members

The thing is as well, as much as I really want to see that Khabib fight and as great a fighter as Khabib is, he never fights. If it's not injuries it's weight missing tiramisu binges and if it's not tiramisu it's Ramadan. For all the Diaz's faults and weirdness, if they're booked to fight you can guarantee they'll show up. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Dana said 9 of Floyd's last 12 round fights his opponents landed less than 100 punches. Conor landed something like 111, in 10. Decent.

He's tried phoning Max Kellerman to remind him he said Conor would land none. Kellerman has vanished.

not really buying that stat, it's accurate but Conor threw so many nothing pitter pat punches the landed figure was always going to be high. 

I'm not as impressed with what Conor achieved as most of you seem to be. He certainly didn't embarrass himself but for such a seemingly well conditioned athlete to run out of gas before Mayweather even started to fight back was a little strange.

His lack of any really snap on his punches and how quickly the steam went out of his punches completely was alarming too...i said pre-fight too that i believed people would be deflated when they realised that Conor wasn't the devastating puncher they were led to believe and he wasn't (people believed he was a bigger puncher than Canelo Alvarez for fuck sake).

Conor's "i turned him into a Mexican" comment after was funny but the reason Mayweather fought like that was because he had zero respect for what McGregor was throwing back at him. It was the most un-like of Floyd Mayweather performances. 

I think McGregor's gas tank would have lasted longer had he gone into the fight lighter than he did. It looked like McGregor went in big so he could be a power puncher, but it backfired when his power punches weren't landing, and all they did was tire him out. I think had McGregor gone in about 10lbs lighter, closer to what Mayweather was weighing, he could have had the gas to last the final couple of rounds.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

His lack of any really snap on his punches and how quickly the steam went out of his punches completely was alarming too...i said pre-fight too that i believed people would be deflated when they realised that Conor wasn't the devastating puncher they were led to believe and he wasn't (people believed he was a bigger puncher than Canelo Alvarez for fuck sake).

Wand spoke about this earlier in the thread. There's such a cult of personality around Conor a lot of his fans lap up & repeat all kinds of shit. It's nothing that' unique to Conor or that we haven't seen before ('Jon Jones has never faced a wrestler like Chael though....'). People get swept up & talk shit, see any pub during any bit football game. Easily ignored.

Like McGregor, 2 judges had Hatton winning only 1 round prior to it being stopped. The other judge gave Hatton 2 rounds, which is 1 less than the judge that gave McGregor 3 rounds. I guess you could argue that McGregor won more rounds outright than Hatton; given that 2 of the judges were a bit kind in giving round 2 to Floyd and probably round 3. I remember Hatton being competitive in some rounds, but not winning many outright. 

The contexts of the fight were a bit different though. McGregor lasted as long as Hatton, but I would say McGregor unwinded earlier than Hatton. It was clear after rounds 5/6 that Floyd would likely stop Conor. With Hatton at that stage, things were still more open ended. Floyd was on top, but it wasn't clear yet that Hatton would be stopped. 

• Paid Members

True Jim. But like I said, I think you also have to take into account that Hatton was 43-0 when he fought Mayweather. McGregor was 0-0. When you factor that in, the two fights even being comparable is a bit of an achievement in itself for McGregor. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

not really buying that stat, it's accurate but Conor threw so many nothing pitter pat punches the landed figure was always going to be high. 

My point is, whether you liked his performance or not, considering how written off he was (yo, Max Kellerman), he had a decent showing. I'm aware his punches were diminished, for a chunk of the fight, but he was still in there.

Having had a nap. It's only just dawned on me how outrageous the judges score cards were.

I'm not as impressed with what Conor achieved as most of you seem to be. He certainly didn't embarrass himself but for such a seemingly well conditioned athlete to run out of gas before Mayweather even started to fight back was a little strange.

I think Cruz summed it up best, pointing out he can sometimes do an awful job pacing himself and his punches. Obvs, he comes out like a hurricane for 7 minutes or so, which has been very effective, but it also showed his lack of pro boxing experience, I guess. Even Joshua gassed a couple of times during his last fight, but he also knew how to survive that, which McGregor was struggling with towards the end.

Brendan "Showtime" Schaub, innit.

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

True Jim. But like I said, I think you also have to take into account that Hatton was 43-0 when he fought Mayweather. McGregor was 0-0. When you factor that in, the two fights even being comparable is a bit of an achievement in itself for McGregor. 

Oh of course. 

Relative to expectations, McGregor's was the more impressive performance hands down. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

'm not as impressed with what Conor achieved as most of you seem to be.

I'd say that's because you're a boxing fan and have a good knowledge of the sport.  You can tell the difference in posts between boxing fans and non boxing fans in this thread.

21 hours ago, David said:

On the eve of the fight, I honestly don't see Mayweather KO'ing him. I don't think he has the power to do it. The only way I see the fight being stopped in Mayweather's favour is if the ref jumps in and stops the fight due to Conor taking shots and not responding late on if he runs out of energy.

I can see Conor catching him early and causing a scare, but I'm not sure that he has the boxing knowledge to put Floyd away. I think if Conor catches him Floyd will be able to ride it out and survive.

My gut tells me that we're gonna see a Floyd win on points, where McG looks good early but eventually Floyd takes over the fight. 

Just call me mystic Dave, y'all. If anything I overestimated Conor's piss poor cardio, but still. 

Fools chatting about his "insane" knock out power and other such silliness. Like I said, Mayweather has faced the likes of Canelo and survived. Why would McGregor's punching power be more of a threat than his?

Hi guys, I rarely venture in here but this thread has kept me suitably informed and entertained the last few weeks so thanks.

I have zero interest in MMA and am a casual boxing fan, but know enough about the sport to get by. To me it looked like Mayweather absolutely toyed with Connor the whole fight and could've started unleashing at any point but maybe wanted the public to have more than 2 rounds. 

I'm probably wrong and I was entertained enough but the class gulf was apparent. Fair fucks to McGregor. 

Archived