The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

I like Froch as a rule, but he's been acting weird all week. He got into a silly argument with US journos about Andre Ward.

Anyway, some of the scorecards floating around on Twitter are a bit generous to Conor. I had him winning 1 and 2. Probably round 3 as well, although it became obvious in that round that Floyd was about to take over. 87-83 seems fair, which is how one official judge had it. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's not that it annoyed me Egg, I'm just surprised that he was surprised. I thought the majority of the boxing community thought this exactly what would happen, in spite of the Conor hype, so I would have thought he'd have said that Conor was doing exactly as he expected. 

McGregor did way better than he really had any right to, and should be proud of himself, while he struts to the bank to collect his many millions. 

• Paid Members

Froch was writing him off before the fight though, wasn't he? "0-0 v 49-0" etc.

If someone has "no chance" and they last 10, taking 2, how did he expect more? I understand he's precious about a sport he worked his arse off in (and maybe I'm a bit sensitive because I'm a Conor fan), but his analysis was filled with a seething agenda

1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

I understand he's precious about a sport he worked his arse off in (and maybe I'm a bit sensitive because I'm a Conor fan), but his analysis was filled with a seething agenda

I don't think you're being sensitive at all. Froch's commentary was loaded with bias.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I like Froch as a rule, but he's been acting weird all week. He got into a silly argument with US journos about Andre Ward.

Anyway, some of the scorecards floating around on Twitter are a bit generous to Conor. I had him winning 1 and 2. Probably round 3 as well, although it became obvious in that round that Floyd was about to take over. 87-83 seems fair, which is how one official judge has it. 

two of the official cards only gave Conor round 1. 

Conor's gas tank is an odd one, isn't it?

All this talk of him ramping up his cardio, 'changing his physiology' at the UFC performance centre...and he gases after three rounds of less than MMA length. Strange.

My favourite comment I've seen about Froch is 'he's the sort of bloke who spends an hour watching WWE videos on YouTube, and 2 hours commenting that they're fake'

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Conor's gas tank is an odd one, isn't it?

All this talk of him ramping up his cardio, 'changing his physiology' at the UFC performance centre...and he gases after three rounds of less than MMA length. Strange.

It's annoying too, because if his cardio and style was built for more than 10 minutes, he'd maybe have gone the distance.

What do we all make of the stoppage? I thought the ref was doing Conor a favour, but I can see Conor's point, he wasn't on the receiving end of a total killer mauling when it was stopped.

Also, going by Twitter, the fight was perfect in regards to getting both men over. A lot of love for both fighters.

• Paid Members

Result aside, I actually enjoyed that more than I thought I would. McGregor didn't embarrass himself, lasting 10, winning a couple and landing decent shots even in a lot of the rounds he lost. For someone making their boxing debut against an all-time great, he exceeded most expectations. And I thought it was easily Mayweather's most entertaining fight since Maidana 1. 

I'm a big fan of Froch but he was being a div. I mean, Mayweather was bossing most of the fight so you can only call what you see. But he was so fucking overly negative about McGregor. Even after the fight when he'd got the result he wanted, he just couldn't bring himself to give McGregor anything positive. Macklin was the most spot on and cool about the whole thing. Hardy was as fair and balanced as I expected. Even knobhead Bellew said fair play. Froch just came off as a right bitter twat. 

Oh well. It was fun to watch. 

Archived