The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

11 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I do think that McGregor is going to save the Diaz trilogy for his last fight before retiring (which to be honest I can see in the near future) - it's probably the one fight in the UFC that will draw massive money and buy rates regardless of momentum, weights, titles etc. I think Woodley is next for him. With Woodley out of action with his injury for a bit that will give Conor a solid amount of time to readjust and accustom himself back into MMA, and then after that win or lose they'll try and get him against GSP. 

Personally, I rank Woodley up there with Khabib as the match ups that would give Conor trouble. I think Woodley isn't far off being the best fighter in the game today, regardless of division.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Personally, I rank Woodley up there with Khabib as the match ups that would give Conor trouble. I think Woodley isn't far off being the best fighter in the game today, regardless of division.

Agree.

But at least with Woodley he could win a belt. With Kabib he gains nothing - if Kabib even turns up or makes weight or it's not ramadan or something.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Agree with that. 

I'd honestly say Ferguson would be a more difficult style for Conor than Khabib would. With Khabib I could see McGregor rocking him early on and being able to use his speed and movement, as well as the threat of his counter striking to nullify the dangers caused by Khabib's wrestling game. Khabib is genuinely liable to taking a few decent shots before reverting to his bread and butter, and if Conor can crack him early I think he could take that.

Woodley on the other hand is a different story. Moving up in weight would mean Conor giving up that speed advantage which could be exploited for days. Woodley has a fantastic wrestling pedigree and I could see him taking Conor down at will. Even if he doesn't fancy going to the ground, he's got that explosiveness and legit one punch knockout power that I don't think Conor has come up against yet. 

One thing about a Woodley/McG fight is that it could be the fight needed to push Woodley to the next level as far as his promotion goes. The dude has all the tools in the cage, he just needs to sort out his reputation as a moaning-faced cunt and he could become a big star.

Dos Anjos has tried piling in on McGregor today, calling him out and referring to him as 'McChicken'...

Less than 24 hours after he stepped into a boxing ring with possibly the GOAT and hung around with him, is there a more misjudged line of attack?

Also weird Nate Diaz having a pop at schaub and saying Mayweather 'wasn't even trying'. Diaz is a right contrary cunt, isn't he? When everyone was having a pop at Conor, he stood up for him, and now everyone is team Conor again, he's gone the other way.

Personally, I think Diaz, Pauline and Khabib are the 3 big money fights left for him now.

Froch is loaded, money ain't the issue. His problem I'm guessing is he never had a big Vegas fight. He has moaned about that before. Seeing Conor get a huge one in his first fight as a boxer probably wound him up something rotten. His rather fragile ego couldn't handle it.

He has been rather biased in his commentry before usaully against any British Super middleweights and Light Heavys. I was watching the Showtime feed and Paulie was really good, put all the BS aside and called the fight fair.

I think the fallout and reaction from people on either side of the MMA/Boxing divide who should know better has been laughable. 

I sometimes wonder if some of the MMA fraternity have been kicked upside the head one too many times when you hear them talk. Simple truth is, if McG comes back to UFC and makes demands for more money it'll be because he's bringing more eyeballs to the sport, which, in turn, could mean an upturn in fortunes for other fighters who are willing to put themselves out there and do some work to promote themselves as well as deliver in the cage, obviously.

The publicity that the sport has gotten these past few months can't be a bad thing, and couple that with the fact that Conor didn't disgrace himself (and in turn, the sport of MMA) last night and what you have is a rise in the stock of MMA. Any fighter from the UFC who was actively rooting for McG to lose is a fucking idiot, and the response I've seen today from the likes of Aldo and Dos Anjos actually made me cringe.

The problem with a lot of fighters is that they're plain lazy. 

If you want to enjoy the kind of lifestyle and recognition that McGregor does, then put together a plan and make yourself stand out. Even today, all I see is guys lazily trying to rip off Conor. The suits, the glasses, the walk, the talk. Fucking hell man, do something original. Look at the likes of GSP, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, and to a lesser extent guys like BJ Penn and even Urijah Faber. Sure, they ain't pocketing multi-millions, but they're not suffering a lack of cash. Take what you have, make it work, and put yourself out there.

And as I've said many times before, if you don't want to? Then that should be absolutely fine. There should be no pressure on those guys who just want to clock in, fight their fight, and clock out again to be someone they're not. If they put the wins together they should still get their shot at the strap and the recognition.

But they have to accept that they're not gonna be earning the top dollar, and neither should they unless they're on top and holding titles.

But yeah, I have to admit that I'm kind of surprised by the sheer jealousy and envy that I'm seeing following all of this. I think there was a few who were waiting silently for Conor to get embarrassed and stopped early, and when that didn't happen they've kind of boiled over with jealousy.

Sad times really, when they could be instead using the wave of popularity to help themselves get into a better position.

• Paid Members

Just downloaded the fight to archive, and the US commentary is 100 times better than those dildos on Sky. And the crowd was mic'd way better. The US fight had far more energy than the UK feed.

I caught a rip on YouTube earlier, which was just the world feed with Sugar Ray Leonard on comms. It was pretty good. Him and his partner gave Conor plenty of praise, as well as pointing out his flaws.

Seemed the best commentary going, don't know why the broadcasters felt the need to add their own tracks.

Its a shame I don't speak German though, apparently Klitschko was a hoot on DAZN.

42 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

Just downloaded the fight to archive, and the US commentary is 100 times better than those dildos on Sky. And the crowd was mic'd way better. The US fight had far more energy than the UK feed.

I didn't even bother with the UK feed, I knew what to expect from them. The US guys were far more objective from what I've heard. I felt they called the fight down the middle, even Malignaggi, which surprised me a little.

• Paid Members

This is from before the fight but sod it. As a huge fan of both I marked out for this. Chris Eubank Sr and Ice Cube talk May vs Mac...

What other event would've brought these two together? 

Eubank was a good laugh during the build up to this fight. Really got a kick out of his input. 

"McGregor can take a beating. You see those vegetables on his ears."

Archived