The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Moderators

Yeah one of the most amusing parts of all this was people going on about Conor's power. Which is not to say that he doesn't have power, but the assumption that no boxer has ever seen such power is completely ludicrous.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, neil said:

Yeah one of the most amusing parts of all this was people going on about Conor's power. Which is not to say that he doesn't have power, but the assumption that no boxer has ever seen such power is completely ludicrous.

And the thing is, this isn't some Rousey Holm hindsight.  As I said in the thread, you can tell who is a boxing fan and who isn't.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

:laugh: i didn't see it, but i loved the little Eubank/Cube clip. I find Senior fascinating, he's barking mad but it's great when he's around.

You've got to watch it when you get chance. 

I wonder if Eubank ran into Nate Diaz this weekend. Imagine that conversation? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, neil said:

i put much of that down to people just drinking the Conor-cool aid. Conor's effect and bond his fans is un-like any other, it's got a lot to do with the positive post-fight reaction i think...fans, especially these days are so quick to kick someone when they are down (see Amir Khan vs. Canelo Alvarez which in itself was a crazy gamble, Amir exceeded expectations before finally getting KO'd...Amir was widely ricidiculed), yet besides a few funny memes and the standard unavoidable trolling it's been very positive. I'm actually starting to believe many of the people backing Conor didn't truly believe he could win, they simply went on the ride with the guy and dared to dream so to speak. The fans are living vicariously through Conor and it's a lot of fun to do.

• Paid Members

There's probably some of that, Ebb. But I also think a lot of them were predicting the upset so that if it somehow happened they could be all smug about it after. Sounds pathetic but I honestly think that was part of it for a lot of people. 

16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I'm actually starting to believe many of the people backing Conor didn't truly believe he could win, they simply went on the ride with the guy and dared to dream so to speak.

I can safely say I was firmly Team McGregor and completely rooting for him, yeah there was always that "if he catches him" you'd hope for, but no way did I realistically think he would win. People always support their favourite football teams even when they're not first in the premier league so I don't see why boxing/fight fans can't do the same.

I mean a guy had his debut boxing fight in the biggest combat sport fight ever. He's come so far in such a short time and has achieved things that always seemed impossible.

He came out that fight looking no worse off physically than when he went in. He was outclassed in one boxing fight against someone who'd had 50, what else did anyone expect?

A lot of people calling it a farce and hype but I'm not sure what people expected. Conor went round saying he was going to knock him out and do what no one else has ever done, it captivated the world. I'm not sure what the alternatives were? "Yeah I'm going to jump into the boxing ring I'm not as experienced but let's see how it goes!" Who's going to want to get behind that?

I personally think the fight couldn't have gone any better really. Conor's got stats he'll likely use forever; Mayweather got to 50-0, Conor gave a good account of himself but the whole "Conor was embarrassing" is farcical. The Box Office feed really annoyed me too, I watched it again with the Showtime version and fair play to Ranallo and Paulie they were great.

I spent my time getting lost in the build up  and money on this fight and I was entertained. Everyone's a winner. Expect those poor girls who worked for Corona who had to be in front of the camera at the event and presser...

14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

(see Amir Khan vs. Canelo Alvarez which in itself was a crazy gamble, Amir exceeded expectations before finally getting KO'd...Amir was widely ricidiculed),

There was an element of racism and Islamophobia in the Khan hate, plus ignorance lumping him into the same brash bracket as Prince Nas what with them both being brown.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Zaheer said:

People always support their favourite football teams even when they're not first in the premier league so I don't see why boxing/fight fans can't do the same.

There's a difference between supporting and predicting stuff though. I supported McGregor. I fully expected him to lose but I still badly wanted him to win. You can support someone without losing all sense of being realistic. And McGregor beating Mayweather in a boxing match, while a nice thing to think about, wasn't ever the realistic outcome. It was fantasy. 

What I'm getting at, and what I think Ebb's getting at, is that a lot of McGregor fans became so overbearing and blind in their McGregor support that they were making all kinds of claims about his power, his chances, trying to say Mayweather looked scared etc. It got silly. I get why you'd get swept up in it but fuck me, there was some really goofy shit talked going into this fight. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Zaheer said:

I can safely say I was firmly Team McGregor and completely rooting for him, yeah there was always that "if he catches him" you'd hope for, but no way did I realistically think he would win. People always support their favourite football teams even when they're not first in the premier league so I don't see why boxing/fight fans can't do the same.

I mean a guy had his debut boxing fight in the biggest combat sport fight ever. He's come so far in such a short time and has achieved things that always seemed impossible.

He came out that fight looking no worse off physically than when he went in. He was outclassed in one boxing fight against someone who'd had 50, what else did anyone expect?

A lot of people calling it a farce and hype but I'm not sure what people expected. Conor went round saying he was going to knock him out and do what no one else has ever done, it captivated the world. I'm not sure what the alternatives were? "Yeah I'm going to jump into the boxing ring I'm not as experienced but let's see how it goes!" Who's going to want to get behind that?

I personally think the fight couldn't have gone any better really. Conor's got stats he'll likely use forever; Mayweather got to 50-0, Conor gave a good account of himself but the whole "Conor was embarrassing" is farcical. The Box Office feed really annoyed me too, I watched it again with the Showtime version and fair play to Ranallo and Paulie they were great.

I spent my time getting lost in the build up  and money on this fight and I was entertained. Everyone's a winner. Expect those poor girls who worked for Corona who had to be in front of the camera at the event and presser...

yeh, valid points but there had to genuine belief that he was going to win, there wouldn't have been so much money put on him otherwise. There was a lot of delusion mixed in with people willing and hoping for him to win though. It really is unlike anything that's ever happened before.

The guy looked ok, didn't deliver what he promised but still came out smelling of roses, and that's where i think it's down to the fact that it's just fun to be a Conor McGregor fan. Like you said, you got lost in the build-up, as did i. If you are one of the sour nosed grumpy fucks who refuse to almost suspend disbelief and go with it, it's your loss.

• Paid Members

In fairness to those that did (and I don't disagree it got silly), McGregor sort of made a habit of doing the "impossible". Doing so was almost part of the gimmick. To think he could beat a 49-0 boxing genius was nuts, but I get why some would gladly get carried away with the hype that McGregor could do the impossible, because to some logic is sometimes not part of the McGregor narrative.

EDIT: I should have read Zaheer's post; some of what he said.

FYI, Eubank was on the MMA Hour earlier, recapping the fight.

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I supported McGregor. I fully expected him to lose but I still badly wanted him to win. You can support someone without losing all sense of being realistic. And McGregor beating Mayweather in a boxing match, while a nice thing to think about, wasn't ever the realistic outcome. It was fantasy.

Yeah completely agree. I felt the same as yourself.  Conor goes have ko power but it's in mma with completely different movement patterns and smaller gloves it was never going to transfer over.

Also wand I know it's said before many times but I've been lurking on this forum for donkeys years and you're definitely my favourite Poster round these parts especially the epic fight build ups. Kudos sir. Please keep them up! 

• Paid Members

@Zaheer Thanks mate and yeah as said, get involved. 

I was going to reply to some posts here but then I saw this...

50 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

FYI, Eubank was on the MMA Hour earlier, recapping the fight.

And I'm off to look for it. 

• Paid Members

The Mcgregor support has existed in its own bubble, spurred on by sites like Ladbible pushes clips of him that get shared a silly amount ( which I am still 90% sure was a fantastic advertising ploy by the McGregor camp and had been since the buildup to the Aldo fight) 

Hes the first fighter in any sport to not only successfully capture the casual audience, but to do it to excess through social media. This led to all the 'heavy hitter, not seen in boxing' type comments. Myth and hearsay becoming reality, purely by the number of people sharing it.  It's been amazing to watch and there was a fantastic stat on the BBC on Friday. 98% of bets leading up to the fight had been on McGregor but the majority of money placed was on Mayweather which really shows the split between the die hard boxing fan and the casual fan  

• Moderators

One thing I am shocked about is Conor gassing so much. I guess on paper perhaps I shouldn't be that shocked given he gassed in the first Diaz fight (although did fine in the rematch), but still, how on earth did he gas so badly.

Archived