The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

not really buying that stat, it's accurate but Conor threw so many nothing pitter pat punches the landed figure was always going to be high. 

I'm not as impressed with what Conor achieved as most of you seem to be. He certainly didn't embarrass himself but for such a seemingly well conditioned athlete to run out of gas before Mayweather even started to fight back was a little strange.

His lack of any really snap on his punches and how quickly the steam went out of his punches completely was alarming too...i said pre-fight too that i believed people would be deflated when they realised that Conor wasn't the devastating puncher they were led to believe and he wasn't (people believed he was a bigger puncher than Canelo Alvarez for fuck sake).

Conor's "i turned him into a Mexican" comment after was funny but the reason Mayweather fought like that was because he had zero respect for what McGregor was throwing back at him. It was the most un-like of Floyd Mayweather performances. 

Best thing i've seen in this thread. Some are talking like it's Eubank- Benn. Conor doesn't have real knockout power in a boxing situation. Indeed, McGregor normally ride and use bigger reach to counter, not against someone with similar reach who's rolled with punches since forever. Striker wise McGregor's advantage was to roll back and counter with long arms, against Mayweather, can't be done. Similar reach, and Floyd is more skilled. Mayweather was taking the piss out of a man who was gassed after 9 minutes (Not to take anything away from Conor, only more work and movement is done in Boxing with less rest than MMA). You can't knock the man for trying, but as soon as Mayweather felt that uppercut in the first,  and knew he's not that powerful compared to what he's had in the past, he'd fought the likes of Cotto.  Floyd knew he could do as he liked after that. Fair play to Conor for going out of his zone, but it was like someone slowly reeling in a fish. And I really mean respect to McGregor, to be out of puff for that long and soldier on in a game you're outclassed in. Fair play. Balls like canteoupes

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, David said:

I didn't even bother with the UK feed, I knew what to expect from them. The US guys were far more objective from what I've heard. I felt they called the fight down the middle, even Malignaggi, which surprised me a little.

Sky's mic'ing was awful for the Crawford fight last week too, crazy atmosphere muted by commentary feed (i thought that was more to do with the team not actually being present at the time though and simply recording from a studio in the UK). I'll always try and grab the US broadcasts if possible, much better but to watch live you don't have much choice.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

as soon as Mayweather felt that uppercut in the first,  and knew he's not that powerful compared to what he's had in the past

Yeah, you could see Mayweather's whole body language change around that time. Not sure if it was after the uppercut or what but I think it was, and then he was smiling between rounds and stuff. And after that he really upped the aggression. 

Also, when Malignaggi came out after he first sparred with McGregor and said his power wasn't anything amazing. It wasn't long then until Floyd decided to change to the 8oz gloves. Once he knew McGregor's 'punchers chance' was even slimmer than he thought. 

Loads of people were talked into believing that all McGregor had to do was touch Mayweather with the left and it would be lights out. But like I said before, if his power was that strong then an out of shape, retired and (a self admittedly) kind of chinny Paulie Malignaggi wouldn't have been able to go a total of 20 rounds with him in sparring. 

One criticism McGregor did kind of silence, I thought, was the 'quitter/no balls' thing Malignaggi was putting out there before the fight. He was out of gas early and hung on til the 10th against someone who had him massively outmatched skills wise. 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Loads of people were talked into believing that all McGregor had to do was touch Mayweather with the left and it would be lights out.

McGregor does have power in his punches; we've seen the proof in his MMA fights. The problem is that McGregor’s power doesn’t translate to boxing when he’s using the bigger gloves, and it seems that a lot of people didn’t realize just how much zip would be taken off of McGregor’s punches with those bigger gloves.

• Paid Members

That's what I'm saying. He does have power, not disputing that. But it's a different kettle of fish when you factor in the different gloves, the way you have to completely alter how you stand and transfer your power, your footwork, your pacing, it's very different. And especially when you're fighting Floyd Mayweather who's crafty and slippery as fuck to land anything meaningful on. 

One thing I kept hearing going into the fight was 'well McGregor's won all of his UFC fights with punches so he's got a good chance' but it's not the same thing. For one, he sets up a lot of his fight ending punches in MMA with kicks. And two, that's McGregor landing punches with the small MMA gloves, on fighters who are easier to land on, and he was allowed to follow up with punches on the ground to finish them off. Even the Aldo KO, in boxing he still probably would've been done, he was fucked, but we'll never truly know because he wouldn't have taken those follow ups on the ground. He'd have been given a count after the initial knockdown. All Conor's UFC knockouts were a mixture of knockdown/follow up punches on the ground. He never one punch KO'd anyone in the UFC so under boxing rules they'd all have been given the standing 8 count and would've had the opportunity to recover and fight on. It's not as straight forward as people were making out.

For him to KO Mayweather it would've had to be some perfect, one in a million situation where Conor was fresh and at full power (that limits it to the first 2-3 rounds), Floyd got reckless (and how often does that happen?) and Conor throws a perfectly placed, perfectly timed punch that also Floyd moved into. Like a Bisping vs Rockhold 2 thing but on a much grander scale and even less likely. The chances of that were always ridiculously slim. 

• Paid Members

Schaub going 'Conor tee'd off on you' then edging away made him look a right dick. Plus, what's Conor teeing off on Nate got to do with what Nate was saying anyway? Nate was just saying that McGregor only won those first couple of rounds because Floyd took them off to see what McGregor had. What's wrong with that assessment? I think that's fair. Schaub just didn't want to hear it because he was going around for months on end talking like McGregor was going to shock the world, hits harder than Canelo/Cotto etc. So all he could come back at Nate with was 'well...he battered you'. 

I saw a thing the other day with Mayweather, Malignaggi, Schaub and a few others talking about the fight and someone mentioned Floyd's fight with Zab Judah from years ago. Schaub jumped in immediately going 'Conor hits harder than Zab Judah'. They literally laughed in his face. He was embarrassing throughout this whole build up for me. And it's not just because I dislike him, he was fanboying his way through the whole thing and saying McGregor had more power than boxers he clearly doesn't know much about. Based on nothing. How would Schaub know what Canelo or Cotto or Judah hit like in comparison to McGregor? Especially, as we say, with all the differences between MMA-Boxing and Boxing-Boxing. He's a proper idiot. 

• Paid Members

That's brilliant. You know Schaub's feeling got hurt too. And, aye, Schaub is not very good; saying Conor hits harder than Canelo will always stay with him, particularly after Saturday.

Luke Thomas made a good point about McGregor's jab. At least early doors, he showed he's really developed it, and will be interesting to see how he uses it in MMA.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, you could see Mayweather's whole body language change around that time. Not sure if it was after the uppercut or what but I think it was, and then he was smiling between rounds and stuff. And after that he really upped the aggression. 

Also, when Malignaggi came out after he first sparred with McGregor and said his power wasn't anything amazing. It wasn't long then until Floyd decided to change to the 8oz gloves. Once he knew McGregor's 'punchers chance' was even slimmer than he thought. 

Loads of people were talked into believing that all McGregor had to do was touch Mayweather with the left and it would be lights out. But like I said before, if his power was that strong then an out of shape, retired and (a self admittedly) kind of chinny Paulie Malignaggi wouldn't have been able to go a total of 20 rounds with him in sparring. 

One criticism McGregor did kind of silence, I thought, was the 'quitter/no balls' thing Malignaggi was putting out there before the fight. He was out of gas early and hung on til the 10th against someone who had him massively outmatched skills wise. 

the power thing is what annoyed me most in the build up, i'm not expert but that's what everyone who was backing Conor was hinging their bets on like Conor had some kind of super power (Paulie said it best "he aint carrying Thor's Hammer"), i said from the beginning that the power wouldn't be that much of a factor, you can just see in Conor's technique that he doesn't have the weight in his shots to be effective in boxing, of course Conor could have worked on that and come out with a different kind of stance/tecnhique but he didn't. You can clearly see that in MMA he doesn't carry massive punching power, he's just incredibly accurate and picks his shots brilliantly, mixing between punching and kicking. In MMA any kind of shot that lands on the chin can do damage, the Diaz brother's are the best example of that. Boxing power is just a different beast and Conor was found lacking completely in that department. In rounds 1-3 Floyd basically gave McGregor free-reign to unload and he didn't put a dent in Floyd.

As for the last statement, Paulie said post-fight that he believed Conor stumbling around the ring and not throwing punches back was him looking for a way out, we'll never know that for sure, but i did 100% agree that the stoppage was justified because no matter how much you say 'i would have preferred to have gone out on my back' if you start stumbling around the ring getting tee'd off on the ref has to stop the fight. Conor brilliantly spins things to his favour though and those comments won him a lot of plaudits and gave his fans something to throw out there when discussing the fight.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

you can just see in Conor's technique that he doesn't have the weight in his shots to be effective in boxing, of course Conor could have worked on that and come out with a different kind of stance/tecnhique but he didn't. 

Yeah, and even if he worked on that tirelessly throughout camp, it wasn't going to be enough in a 2 month camp or whatever it was. It's something that would take some time to adjust to and he didn't. Either through lack of proper preparation, lack of ring time or more likely a bit of both. 

On another note, I only just got around to watching Helwani's interview with Chris Eubank. Meant to watch it before the fight and forgot all about it. Fucking hell, it was better than the fight. Love Eubank. And I don't care what anyone says, I still want to see another Nigel Benn fight. 

Archived