The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Maybe, but even McGregor admitted during sparring he'd always struggle at the half way point. Granted, he was doing a Scott Steiner after only three, but he was coming out swinging.

I just think he did an awful job managing his gas tank. He did the exact same thing with the Diaz fight, where he admitted he was throwing bombs, but too many were landing on arms and what not, which was what ended up happening with Floyd.

"Inefficient with my energy".

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, neil said:

One thing I am shocked about is Conor gassing so much. I guess on paper perhaps I shouldn't be that shocked given he gassed in the first Diaz fight (although did fine in the rematch), but still, how on earth did he gas so badly.

That is the overall most disappointing thing for me. I ain't accepting the 'he isn't experienced enough in the format' excuse either, because for years one of MMA's fans biggest arguments when defending against the boxing crowd was to bring how much better conditioned you needed to be when grappling and throwing kicks etc. To see Conor struggle gas wise early on also rubbishes Conor's talk of it only being 'half a fight'. I know there's many factors that can lead to someone running out of energy in a fight situation but for me, given Conor's experience in high level fights, his clear belief in himself and the fact that he fought rounds 1-3 at his own pace, i don't think there's much excuse for a high level athlete to running out of puff at that point, he battled on but it was clear after 3 that he wasn't the same guy. That's just 9 minutes of boxing.

There was a fight on HBO over the weekend where two guys stood two-to-two for 12 rounds and one of them endured ungodly amounts of punishment and never appeared to badly fade or stop coming forward despite being clearly out-matched. I know people are talking about Conor's heart and desire but when i see fights like that take place there simply is no comparison between the two. I don't think there's a lot wrong with Paulie's observations that Conor is a bottler.

Christ, im being so negative :laugh:

Conor came in too heavy. We know what happens when Conor fights above his ideal weight; we saw it in the Diaz fights, although he did get his second wind in their rematch, and we saw it again here. Conor went for size and power and it backfired.

As for the idea Conor is a quitter, Conor was gassed out and getting battered in the Diaz rematch, but he kept fighting, found his second wind, and won the fight. Conor was gassed out and getting tagged at will by Mayweather, but he kept fighting and was stopped on his feet. He didn't pull a 'No Mas', he didn't quit on his stool; he kept going until the referee stepped in.

I would sincerely like someone to explain how that makes Conor a quitter/bottler.

7 hours ago, neil said:

One thing I am shocked about is Conor gassing so much. I guess on paper perhaps I shouldn't be that shocked given he gassed in the first Diaz fight (although did fine in the rematch), but still, how on earth did he gas so badly.

Another factor to remember is that, as much as he puts on the brave face and swagger, there's no way he came into that fight feeling zero pressure. 

He's went from being a nobody on benefits, what? Five years ago? To coming into the biggest boxing event of all time, making £100 million or whatever they're saying, and facing one of the very best of all time in front of a worldwide audience.

I know he has self belief and all that jazz, but there's no way that occasion didn't get to him. He must have had a fear at the back of his mind that he could have went in there and been embarrassed. 

We've heard it talked about in the UFC when fighters suffer a dump in adrenaline, and I reckon McGregor could easily have done the same in this fight. 

• Paid Members

Ok, that's overly harsh, but i'm definitely not against the idea that Conor was perhaps looking for a way out in the 10th round. I mean there's only a couple of occasions where we've really seen Conor in deep water and he doesn't tend to get out of them.

10 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Conor came in too heavy. We know what happens when Conor fights above his ideal weight; we saw it in the Diaz fights, although he did get his second wind in their rematch, and we saw it again here. Conor went for size and power and it backfired.

As for the idea Conor is a quitter, Conor was gassed out and getting battered in the Diaz rematch, but he kept fighting, found his second wind, and won the fight. Conor was gassed out and getting tagged at will by Mayweather, but he kept fighting and was stopped on his feet. He didn't pull a 'No Mas', he didn't quit on his stool; he kept going until the referee stepped in.

I would sincerely like someone to explain how that makes Conor a quitter/bottler.

I'm not a Conor fanboy by any stretch, but anyone calling him a bottler is a moron in my opinion. 

I think people need to realise exactly what he did at the weekend. He didn't come in for his first boxing match for a relatively low key fight with a mid-level fighter, or even a lower end champion like Cotto or Paulie.

He came in and fought one of the very best on the planet, in a fight that received worldwide attention. He was under the kind of spotlight that no other combat athlete is likely to ever face. He wasn't a respected boxer who had worked his way up the ranks who was fighting Mayweather, he was a complete boxing novice who was given a shot, and who knew that most of the world expected him to fail miserably and make a roaring cunt of himself.

And no doubt there was a nagging feeling in his mind that it could unfold that way. Cutting through all the bravado and shit talking he probably had an aim of getting through the first four rounds or so without being made to look silly, which is why he likely dumped all of his energy early on.

The guy did remarkably fucking well considering the circumstances. I don't think there's a mentally stronger athlete in the game today.

What he did was the equivalent of a popular boxing champion walking into the octagon and facing Anderson Silva. Which would never happen. Why? Because not one of them have the fucking balls to even think about trying it.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Ok, that's overly harsh, but i'm definitely not against the idea that Conor was perhaps looking for a way out in the 10th round. I mean there's only a couple of occasions where we've really seen Conor in deep water and he doesn't tend to get out of them.

Have you been sniffing glue, Ebb? What are you on about man?

Looking for a way out? He was getting repeatedly smacked in the head by one of the best boxers of all time. There's talk of him suffering a concussion. He hung in there with Floyd fucking Mayweather. Do you actually realise what he accomplished?

He's been beaten twice in recent times. Once by Nate, and once by Floyd. In neither of those fights did I think he was looking for a way out. He simply got beat by the better man on both occasions. Nate survived his onslaught early on and eventually rallied for the submission win. That's how it goes. One man wins, another loses. Fuck all to do with bottling it or reacting badly to deep waters. To then went on to correct his game plan and went back into those "deep waters" and came out on top, didn't he?

• Paid Members

It's been a mental few days so just getting around to reading the posts in here. 

I can't fucking believe there's any talk of bottling or hoping to find a way out on Mcgregor's behalf. Just absolutely shocking. David has pretty much said it all, he stepped in there with arguably the greatest of all time, and lasted 10 rounds. For half of those 10 it was competitive as well. Mayweather is just simply a master.

I'm not saying I was completely happy with Mcgregor's performance, because him gassing out by the midway point of round 3 wasn't good. But, to suggest he wanted out is crazy. He gassed out in 3, and hung in there for another 6/7 rounds. 

Bizarrely, I think Mcgregor has/had a better gas tank fighting at 145llbs. I don't think he can make that weight now, but it seems since he's gone back up in weight he's had these issues. Whilst obviously he never had many fights going that far in his cage warriors/ufc run at that weight, he barely looked like he broke a sweat when he fought at featherweight. Outside of the Mendes fight, he's always looked fresh. The Max Holloway fight is perfect example, fought at a high pace, and basically on 1 leg, and didn't look flustered come the end of the 3 rounds.

I just don't think his body and style is built to last a huge distance when he's in the cage/ring weighing 170llbs. It's not that he can't do it, as Diaz 2 says he can last, but I think he certainly performs better with less weight. 

• Paid Members

In fairness he did Dave. I still have my suspicions though. 

I think im just bitter at the fact that people believed it was a genuine 50/50 fight going in and now the overwhelming reaction is "well, we all know he didn't really have a chance but he did better than we ever could have hoped".

Plus im a Paulie Malignaggi fan :)

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

It's been a mental few days so just getting around to reading the posts in here. 

I can't fucking believe there's any talk of bottling or hoping to find a way out on Mcgregor's behalf. Just absolutely shocking. David has pretty much said it all, he stepped in there with arguably the greatest of all time, and lasted 10 rounds. For half of those 10 it was competitive as well. Mayweather is just simply a master.

I'm not saying I was completely happy with Mcgregor's performance, because him gassing out by the midway point of round 3 wasn't good. But, to suggest he wanted out is crazy. He gassed out in 3, and hung in there for another 6/7 rounds. 

Bizarrely, I think Mcgregor has/had a better gas tank fighting at 145llbs. I don't think he can make that weight now, but it seems since he's gone back up in weight he's had these issues. Whilst obviously he never had many fights going that far in his cage warriors/ufc run at that weight, he barely looked like he broke a sweat when he fought at featherweight. Outside of the Mendes fight, he's always looked fresh. The Max Holloway fight is perfect example, fought at a high pace, and basically on 1 leg, and didn't look flustered come the end of the 3 rounds.

I just don't think his body and style is built to last a huge distance when he's in the cage/ring weighing 170llbs. It's not that he can't do it, as Diaz 2 says he can last, but I think he certainly performs better with less weight. 

the weight things goes against all usual logic though because its always been believed that a massive weight cut leads to cardio issues.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

I think im just bitter at the fact that people believed it was a genuine 50/50 fight going in and now the overwhelming reaction is "well, we all know he didn't really have a chance but he did better than we ever could have hoped".

It was just an opinion though Ebb. Why were you that bothered? Surely the result is enough vindication? 

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

So the glue sniffing part was right? ;)

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, lambyUK said:

It was just an opinion though Ebb. Why were you that bothered? Surely the result is enough vindication? 

its just a case of getting caught up in the hoopla of it all, its all good natured , i love this kind of stuff.

Archived