The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'd say that's because you're a boxing fan and have a good knowledge of the sport.  You can tell the difference in posts between boxing fans and non boxing fans in this thread.

I wouldn't say that...im actually surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Conor's performance. It's usually the more casual fans who are the first to turn on someone but from what i can gather McGregor fans are very proud of what he achieved and how he performed considering he came nowhere near close to doing what he promised. 

(im not talking about this thread either, more a generalisation of what im seeing online).

• Paid Members

Aye. The only overwhelmingly negative response I've really read/heard was Froch, during the broadcast. IDK, I think the fact most people found it to be an entertaining scrap is maybe why they're a little forgiving. Although, some also had the fight a lot closer than makes sense too.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I have zero interest in MMA and am a casual boxing fan, but know enough about the sport to get by. To me it looked like Mayweather absolutely toyed with Connor the whole fight and could've started unleashing at any point but maybe wanted the public to have more than 2 rounds. 

Yeah, that's what I saw. The people I was watching with were all excited after 2 rounds, but it looked like Mayweather was just letting Conor do his thing & laughing about it to himself. I also noticed Conor gassing at the end of the 2nd - I know that look on his face after the 2 Nate fights. His facial expression changes - he looks worried & mildly panicked, knowing how much time is left.

Would have loved Conor to do the impossible but my "real" prediction pretty much called it. I knew Conor would definitely gas - I just didn't think it'd be so soon. 

Ah well - the whole thing was great fun to be honest Well worth €24.95!

Also - how is he selling that "McGregor Fast" fitness programme when he's gassed badly in 3 of his last 4 fights?

19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I wouldn't say that...im actually surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Conor's performance. It's usually the more casual fans who are the first to turn on someone but from what i can gather McGregor fans are very proud of what he achieved and how he performed considering he came nowhere near close to doing what he promised. 

(im not talking about this thread either, more a generalisation of what im seeing online).

I would generally put that down to one of two reasons.

1) Deep down, people knew Conor would be outclassed and that what Conor promised would happen and what would actually happen were two different things. They might have got caught up in the hype, but once reality set in, their expectations were lowered, yet Conor looked passable enough that he wasn’t embarrassing and he did better than what their expectations had been lowered to.

2) The boxing side were slating Conor and his perceived lack of ability from the moment the fight was announced, and they were so heavily knocking Conor that there was no way, even with his lack of experience, that he could be as bad as the boxing press were portraying him as. They’d so driven home the idea that Conor would be embarrassingly bad, that when he looked passable, he exceeded the expectations that had been set for him.

• Paid Members

Don't know how much of this is rumour and how much is just the announcers putting the pieces together, but the Five Live crew were flat out expecting McGregor-Malignaggi at MSG on St Patrick's Day. I'd guess that would at best mean his next MMA bout would be July in Vegas which would be 20 months without defending the lightweight title.

22 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Don't know how much of this is rumour and how much is just the announcers putting the pieces together, but the Five Live crew were flat out expecting McGregor-Malignaggi at MSG on St Patrick's Day. I'd guess that would at best mean his next MMA bout would be July in Vegas which would be 20 months without defending the lightweight title.

If we're honest, why the fuck would he entertain the idea of coming back to face Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee for a few million quid now? I'd love him to come back and face the likes of Ferguson and Khabib, but I'm a fan who just wants to see the best fights. 

For him, the Paulie fight makes all the sense in the world. He wouldn't make anywhere near what he made last night, but I'd reckon he still makes more than he would facing a contender in the UFC at this point.

• Paid Members

You're spot on, David, and it's a shame. I just want to see him back in an Octagon, but unless the UFC make it worth his while, the boxing makes the most sense, financially.

You wonder if the UFC change their pay structure for Conor, seeing as they badly need him back.

• Paid Members

I really don't see the upside of a Paulie fight. It would be nowhere near this level of buys, and he would likely lose again. The damage his rep would take losing to Paulie would hurt his future drawing in UFC.

Right now he can say it took the GOAT 30 mins to beat him. He can use that going forward - work the numbers to say he lasted longer & landed more shots than XYZ, etc.. But start losing more gimmick fights in boxing, you become a joke.

Saying that, if he could somehow tempt an actual name in the boxing world into the UFC that would be even better. Get Paulie in the cage. Mayweather had the bargaining chips for their fight, but I'd say Conor is the one with the bargaining power now.

I'd love to see a boxer get absolutely leathered in the cage, shut the boxing cunts right up.

Really enjoyed this whole thing. On the whole, it's been a really fun ride with an exciting conclusion.

Zero surprises that Floyd won. His strategy and game plan worked to a tee, allowing McGregor to tire whilst simply absorbing and riding out his bigger blows. He did well chasing him down as well, as we've seen from the Diaz fight and what Paulie was saying in sparring, McGregor is liable to catch a second wind, but his relentless pressure just completely nullified any chances of that happening. As Herbie says, it's really easy to tell when Conor is flagging. He does a really shitty job of trying to hide how tired he is. Floyd is on a completely different dimension, but we all knew that anyway. 

Fuck it, Conor is the real winner here. Zero expectation on him, no pressure on his shoulders and he lasts ten rounds with the greatest boxer of his generation. And I'd say it's fair to argue most of those rounds were equal enough. Obviously towards the end, Mayweather was completely pissing all over him, but the first 5-6 rounds were competitive enough. That's a monster achievement for him within itself, despite what dickhead Froch was trying to get across. As the man said himself, he's $100 million richer than he was and his stock has never ever been higher. He's genuinely defied most expectations and has come out even bigger than he went in.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's a balancing act from the point.

He's realistically set for life...  No idea what sort of numbers he could make from Boxing Paulie, but I can't imagine the payday there would have any real impact on him after this, As Herb said, another loss could have some detrimental impact on his MMA drawing power. Whilst what he did is admirable, he could undo a lot of the good work if he goes out and loses again in that kind of circus.

The trilogy fight with Nate or something at 170lbs with GSP are the best options in my book.

Archived