The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

If he is fighting Diaz next then he should give up the title and let the division move on without him.

The very notion of a guy who's 2-3 in his last 5 lightweight fights, and who hasn't even fought at the weight for almost 2 years getting a title shot would be ridiculous really.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think a lot of it comes down to what the UFC are going to offer him to fight. The Paulie fight means he's the A side in this, so he's getting the 60% of all the profit. It's a crafty way to up his percentage of his UFC events.

Dana wasn't against changing his deal too. Maybe they just give him that percentage in the company?

16 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

I'd love to see him beat GSP for the MW title (November permitting) and then Woodley for the WW title.

Imagine?

Conor is in a position where he can call the shots in regards to his fights; whatever fights he wants, he’s going to get. The UFC don’t have a choice unless they want to lose their only major drawing card. Where this has a knock-on effect is that it also puts his prospective opponents into a position of power as well. They know that they still need to agree to the fight for it to take place, and if they’re smart, they’ll play their position for all it’s worth. And if it’s Tyron Woodley, you know that A) He will play his position for all it’s worth, and B) It’ll royally piss of Dana White.

• Paid Members

Imagine Conor somehow ending up with the MW title through GSP. Conor has no business fighting at 185, but GSP beating Bisping could actually allow this to happen. Then do Woodley for 4 titles in 4 divisions. Now THAT would be my plan if I were Conor. Id' be saving the Diaz fight as a backup plan - it's always on the table because it's not based around titles.

I don't see Conor fighting GSP for the welterweight title. It would require Conor to fight above his optimum weight and we've already seen what happens when he does that. Not to mention that GSP would be so much bigger. Conor vs. GSP for the welterweight title would probably play out like Penn vs. GSP for the welterweight title. I do see Conor fighting GSP, because it's a big money fight, but I see it happening at a catchweight, probably around the 164lbs mark.

• Paid Members

170lbs was always a tough cut for GSP. Now he's older, 164lbs would be near impossible.

Why can't Conor just make the minimum limit for MW by loading up on water for the weigh in, and fight GSP if he beats Bisping? If both guys & UFC want it, why not? It'd be the biggest fight for Conor.

• Paid Members

If Conor's ever going to fight GSP, it should be at 170. Fuck 185. That's a step too far for me. I'm not even sure I like him at 170 really, but it might've been that Diaz was is just a problem opponent for him. I just think Conor going anything above 155 ends up working against him a little bit. The extra bulk on him seems to sap some of his speed, agility and cardio to me. 155's about right for him, I think. I think he'll end up fighting GSP down the line at 170 but 185 would be venturing into really silly territory I think. Doesn't he walk around at like 175 or something? He'd have to pack on even more weight than he's been naturally conditioned and used to carrying around. And for what? A bit of extra money? The cunt's got 'fuck you' money for days, to match his 'fuck you' suit. Of course he still wants paying big for anything he does here on out. But if it's going to keep coming at the expense of him dropping losses on the regular I think it's foolish in the long term. If GSP comes back looking good, I wouldn't fancy McGregor to beat him at 170. The idea of doing it at 185 seems crackers. That's getting into BJ Penn wanting to challenge Andrei Arlovski for the heavyweight title in 2004 territory there. 

Just now, herbie747 said:

Why can't Conor just make the minimum limit for MW by loading up on water for the weigh in, and fight GSP if he beats Bisping? If both guys & UFC want it, why not? It'd be the biggest fight for Conor.

Conor's best fighting weight is around 155lbs, maybe a little bit more. For Conor to fight above that weight puts him at a major disadvantage. You’d be asking Conor to fight at almost 30lbs above his best fighting weight, against an opponent who will have 15lbs or more on him. Such a fight isn’t going to happen.

• Paid Members

Conor walks around at 170lbs max. Fighting at 185lbs doesn't mean he has to weigh 185lbs for the fight though. GSP will be a very small MW, which is the only thing that would make this MW "title snatch" possible for McGregor. Take advantage of the situation. GSP is only really 1 weight class above him. Conor only needs to weigh 170lbs on the scale to make weight for the fight.

Anyway - just an idea. The weight classes here are moot really - all I'm talking about is Conor vs GSP, which is a fight talked about for a few years already. 

8 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

Conor walks around at 170lbs max. Fighting at 185lbs doesn't mean he has to weigh 185lbs for the fight though. GSP will be a very small MW, which is the only thing that would make this MW "title snatch" possible for McGregor. Take advantage of the situation. GSP is only really 1 weight class above him. Conor only needs to weight 170lbs on the scale to make weight for the fight.

What you're suggesting still makes no sense for Conor, given how much weight he'd be giving up in the fight. GSP is a small middleweight, but his fighting weight is still around 185lbs, which would be way bigger than Conor would be. The reason I only see the fight happening at a lower catchweight is that it would at least minimize the weight advantage GSP would have, something that would not be possible in either a welterweight or middleweight fight.

I do think that McGregor is going to save the Diaz trilogy for his last fight before retiring (which to be honest I can see in the near future) - it's probably the one fight in the UFC that will draw massive money and buy rates regardless of momentum, weights, titles etc. I think Woodley is next for him. With Woodley out of action with his injury for a bit that will give Conor a solid amount of time to readjust and accustom himself back into MMA, and then after that win or lose they'll try and get him against GSP. 

Archived