The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

The stoppage was perfect. It was all going to be downhill from there - Conor's legs were jelly. No way the ref was going to let a 0-0 fighter get knocked down multiple times.

Conor was 100% class in defeat as usual. Aldo was 100% classless on Twitter, as usual.

Enjoyed the fight. I don't feel as deflated as I thought I would after a loss. Conor did himself proud.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conor's enemies/haters, like Aldo, always look like utter plums on fight night I think. For all the bullshit and bravado that goes with Conor when he's building a fight, on the night, whether he wins or loses, he always comes across as this massively humble (ish), likeabale bloke who dreams FUCKING BIG and achieves pretty fucking big too.

Regardless of all the other nonsense, come fight night he comes across as exactly the sort of bloke I wish I was.

Official scorecard:

21105775_10156266503479057_8712360928811

As a huge Conor fan, I'm really happy with that fight. Conor seemed to surprise him early with his weird ass movement and stance- to me it seemed like he was trying to incorporate as much of his MMA style as the boxing rules allowed. Thought Conor definitely had the first 3, maybe even 4, but those judges that only gave McGregor one round... that seems really fishy to me. Floyd barely threw punches until he sensed Conor was tiring.

Conor did excellent for a pro boxing debut against someone considered the best ever by many in Floyd Mayweather. Unfortunately, there's a really loud segment of people saying this embarrasses Conor and the UFC, which seems ridiculous. I think anyone hoping Conor would win was going heart over head, and most rational people's heads would give Floyd the victory. But Conor truly performed better than he had any right to... even the commentary team from what I could hear in the club seemed taken aback by his early success.

Really enjoyable fight.

6 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

In a warped way I'm actually half looking forward to watching the Showtime version of the fight just to hear Paulie Malignaggi making Carl Froch sound impartial. 

I've only seen the Showtime version and Paulie was fine, was giving Conor props during the fight and called it like any other fight. So glad the version I downloaded when I woke up wasn't the SBO version I don't think I could manage listening to Froch being a bellend

• Paid Members

As far as I know Shane O, yeah. 

Thinking about the fight, I don't think McGregor did any worse than Ricky Hatton did against Mayweather. They both lasted until the 10th but I think McGregor actually landed more and better shots. And Hatton was 43-0 going into the Mayweather fight. I know Floyd's 10 years older now but still, not bad for an 0-0 guy. 

25 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

but those judges that only gave McGregor one round... that seems really fishy to me.

Yeah, that's a little wonky. Floyd did nothing in the first two rounds, and whilst it was part of his strategy, it was still doing nothing, so how those judges gave Floyd those rounds does raise eyebrows.

The coverage I'm listening to now is from the US, and it's a lot more objective than the prattle we got from Carl Froch and most in the UK. They're actually willing to give Conor his due.

16 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

As far as I know Shane O, yeah. 

Thinking about the fight, I don't think McGregor did any worse than Ricky Hatton did against Mayweather. They both lasted until the 10th but I think McGregor actually landed more and better shots. And Hatton was 43-0 going into the Mayweather fight. I know Floyd's 10 years older now but still, not bad for an 0-0 guy. 

No way man. Hatton pushed a prime Floyd in a rough fight. Ricky wasn't saved by the ref either. He caught Floyd with some nice stuff on the inside that did damage. Conor landed nothing that troubled Floyd all night.

• Paid Members

Don't think that disappointed at all. Conor put in a decent showing, landed some decent shots & impressed in the early rounds. Once Mayweather's game plan became apparent it was fairly one sided. It was still exciting throughout & it's one of those fights where everyone involved (inc the fans) can go home happy. I was also surprised at McGregor's tank running low as quickly as it did. I thought after the halfway mark he might struggle but after he went balls out, early on he paid for it. Back to the UFC for either Nate 3 or Khabib in Russia?

• Paid Members

I don't remember Hatton doing much of anything really. My main memory of that one is Joe Cortez not letting Hatton work on the inside, and Floyd KOing him into the corner post like a crash test dummy. He might not have been saved by the ref but he was put out more viciously. 

I haven't seen it in a while. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But it's not like this fight was massively different in terms of competitiveness. 

Archived