Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I wonder if part of the reason various streaming services and YouTube, etc, aren't taken full advantage of is because there's no sense of urgency.

When we were kids we'd watch everything we could because we'd never get the chance again, so we had to drop everything else and prioritise. We sought out whatever we could find because actually getting something else was rare and special.

Nowadays it must feel like everything's a mouse click away and always will be, so there's no rush, no impetus to seize it while they can. And as a result, they never get round to it.

I think this is 100% true, and you see it with the music industry as well - when I have everything I could want at my fingertips, I'm actually discovering less cool new music than I was when I was younger, because the amount of choice is just staggering. I don't have the feeling of having stumbled on something new and exciting, or having rifled through record shops until I stumble on a long sought after gem. It's all just right there, and there's no psychological satisfaction in finding it.

Someone smarter than me has probably written something about how it triggers dopamine responses or whatever, but I think media almost has to be curated, to an extent.

35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think this is 100% true, and you see it with the music industry as well - when I have everything I could want at my fingertips, I'm actually discovering less cool new music than I was when I was younger, because the amount of choice is just staggering. I don't have the feeling of having stumbled on something new and exciting, or having rifled through record shops until I stumble on a long sought after gem. It's all just right there, and there's no psychological satisfaction in finding it.

Someone smarter than me has probably written something about how it triggers dopamine responses or whatever, but I think media almost has to be curated, to an extent.

What you're saying here reminds me of a book I read a while back, written by Barry Schwartz titled "The Paradox of Choice."

It's maybe not exactly the same thing, but it does suggest that having too much choice can lead to anxiety over making your decision, and in many cases leads to not making a decision at all.

I do this with Netflix. I sit down and by the time I've scrolled through the choices of what to watch, I've wasted an hour and no longer have the time to watch anything!

• Paid Members

I can't remember which it was, but I remember seeing a scene in a TV series I saw a few years ago, and for some reason, just that bit of the scene stuck with me: a young woman's showing her uncle or grandfather around a stationery shop. He sees this massive section with just pens, and he stops, looking horrified: "Who needs this much choice? It's oppressive."

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Did he say he lives in China now? 

Yip.

Watched that and he's saying the supermarket is in the mall like it's weird but we've got a Tesco like that up here so not so. Jewellery counter on the way in like it's weird but I've seen that in Morrisons around here. Frozen Fish out on display like it's weird and that's normal in Asda or Morrisons. Then he gets to live fish. Now that is fucking weird. And then a frozen whole chicken. Head and all. Yep, that's fucking mental.

10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Yip.

Watched that and he's saying the supermarket is in the mall like it's weird but we've got a Tesco like that up here so not so. Jewellery counter on the way in like it's weird but I've seen that in Morrisons around here. Frozen Fish out on display like it's weird and that's normal in Asda or Morrisons. Then he gets to live fish. Now that is fucking weird. And then a frozen whole chicken. Head and all. Yep, that's fucking mental.

Hull and China level-pegging on the Weird Index, confirmed 

• Paid Members

RE: Cena in China - he’s been making a movie over there with Jackie Chan, and WWE did a house show in Shanghai at the beginning of the month on which he wrestled (according to Google) so he’s likely been over there for a while, but he’s not like seriously LIVING IN CHINA from now on is he?

We know he speaks Mandarin from that press conference a few years ago, but it’s still be really bizarre.