Agatha Christie's Paige discussion.

IANdrewDiceClay

Should traffic wardens be armed?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The most successful British women's wrestler there has been.

Is she though? Layla had a far more successful run in WWE if you ask me.

But saying she's the most successful British female wrestler is like saying Wade Barrett is the most successful wrestler from Preston or Rusev is the most successful wrestler from Bulgaria. It doesn't mean anything when your only options are Layla and Paige. You can say how great she's done (which she has) without adding useless caveats that are meaningless.

The most successful British women's wrestler there has been.

Is she though? Layla had a far more successful run in WWE if you ask me.

But saying she's the most successful British female wrestler is like saying Wade Barrett is the most successful wrestler from Preston or Rusev is the most successful wrestler from Bulgaria. It doesn't mean anything when your only options are Layla and Paige. You can say how great she's done (which she has) without adding useless caveats that are meaningless.

That isn't true at all though. There have been hundreds and hundreds of British female wrestlers over the years, there aren't just two options.

• Paid Members

At least Paige got to be THE champ a couple of times, Layla was prancing around with half a belt in the era of two belts.

So any future women's champ of this era won't be as big of a success as the one's previous?

Layla held a title, McCool held the other and then they unified them. Layla also held the the title away from Laycool.

As part of that gimmick the Divas were centered around everything they did. The were the premier heel act of that division for a long time. NXT season 2 heavily featured the pair and they even made LowKi interesting for a while.

Paige was interesting on her debut. After that she's pretty much been mundane and uninteresting throughout.

She featured heavily in the pissbreak period of the Diva division also and that era has only just come to an end, and as much as she clings to thinking she helped start the "revolution" Paige was nowhere near the NXT work that did start it, her stepping up allowed the quality on NXT to shine.

Paige can't promo, she's highly annoying and her in ring work is below par. She's 'successful' by virtue that her look appeals to wrestling fans that basically just want a go on her. And she plays up to that.

Layla owned that division and had excellent angles and runs, even the Piggy James stuff, although cringey to view was a big part of the show. Paige hasn't done anything to level.

Fair play to her though, she made a success of herself and that can not be denied.

I just think Layla was the more successful of the two.

Also, I think she'd be fucking foolish to walk out on WWE.

Edited by Teedy Kay

Since coming up to the main roster from NXT I’ve found the potential of Paige more interesting than what we were actually given in reality. She’s suffered from some poor booking with face/heel turns in quick succession over the last year or so, which made it hard for me to keep caring about her character. 

If she’s done with the WWE then i’m intrigued to see what happens next. I think that just like her mother she’s much more comfortable in the heel role and I’d like to see her on a stage where she can just let loose as a heel and commit to it 100%, without the worry of having to deal with an out of the blue face turn the following week.

Edited by Mattyc

• Paid Members

I think they'll fight to the death to keep Paige. She's not much in the ring in my opinion, but she's got a great look. I've often seen her on ads, posters, billboards etc even without any storyline in the company. She stands out. I don't think WWE will let her go.  

I'm also amazed about any promotions being chuffed with an ADR booking. It really shows the power of WWE if fans will buy a ticket to see a dull wrestler, just because he used to work for them.

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Paid Members

It's a yawn of patriotism to try and claim Layla as a British success. She did no wrestling in the UK, moved to the U.S. as a dancer, and became a wrestler from there. Paige is undoubtedly the most successful female British wrestling product and that's coming from someone who doesn't even particularly like her stuff.

It's a bit of a hollow claim anyway when the only other candidates are (the disqualified from your rankings) Layla and... Who else? Klondike Kate? Katie Burchill, who isn't British and couldn't even do the accent?

Who is the most successful male British wrestling product at this point? Is it still Davey Boy or has Sheamus overtaken him?

• Paid Members

Katie Burchill was British - she was Nikita, right? The lack of success for British women is a whole debate in its own, with its roots in various bans, women's wrestling on the continent being scarce, and the late start for joshi - Europe & Japan (to a much lesser extent) being where UK wrestlers traditionally worked outside the UK.

As for men, it's tough because they are such different eras. But Billy Robinson would also have a claim, main-eventing in several US territories & Japan, alongside Bulldog & Sheamus (listen to the Irish bristle at that).