Agatha Christie's Paige discussion.

IANdrewDiceClay

Should traffic wardens be armed?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's a yawn of patriotism to try and claim Layla as a British success. She did no wrestling in the UK, moved to the U.S. as a dancer, and became a wrestler from there. Paige is undoubtedly the most successful female British wrestling product and that's coming from someone who doesn't even particularly like her stuff.

To confirm, Layla was British AND a wrestler. Yet can't be considered a British wrestler?

Does Nigel McGuiness fall in the same category of British wrestlers who aren't now British because they learnt their trade in America?

I'm lost.

Success, is obviously subjective, I'm just highlighting that I think Layla who is British, female and a wrestler has had just as much and in my opinion more success in her WWE career than Paige did.

• Moderators

I think it's a fair point for discussion. Layla would never count if you apply the rules from annual UK top chart on here. However, other sports outside of wrestling "claim" competitors / have on national teams people who have some lineage or descent but weren't raised in the country.

Fuck me that is a terribly worded point. Really tired and hungover. Hopefully it makes sense.

Considering why Layla was hired and how utterly dog shit she was at the beginning, she improved a hell of a lot and became one of the better wrestlers in the division. Paige, to me, has gotten worse over the last couple of years. Don't know if it's her being overshadowed by the better NXT girls or if she has genuinely just regressed. So while I think Layla was better, Paige has the potential to really surpass her. The grand split is the best thing for her. More spots for the women, more matches to get better and more women to work with over time. There's probably only six girls on the roster that her better than her which is nothing to sneeze at for an early twenties girl in the main wrestling company.

• Paid Members

Nigel McGuinness went back home and learned his craft. Even did a few shots as a fake Kane on Dixons shows (which Kevin Owens was utterly jealous of when he spoke about it on his shoot interview). McGuinness was considered one of the shittest wrestlers ever when he was in HWA. It was only when and learned how to work over here he became a star in the US. Layla was more like your Chris Adams. Her arse (as nice as it is) fit in the Union Jack pants when it suited them.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I apologise, this isn't the place for a discussion on patriotism.

I am genuinely interested in this opinion, I personally don't care where in the world a Brit learns their trade, as they are still British, surely they can be seen as a successful British act?

• Paid Members

I concur, and if they become successful elsewhere they are a success and due to their nationality should be considered a British success.

One of the things that probably helped Layla was the fact her Britishness was never really played upon. To be a Brit in America and just be cast as normal in the WWE is a big achievement in itself. Had any other Brit managed to do that?

Was Layla even billed as being British? I didn't even know she was from here until well into her WWE run.

Paige being the greatest British female wrestler of all time is a bit of a stretch. Yes she was a featured performer on WWE TV which gives her far massive exposure all round the world. But I would say the likes of Mitzi Mueller and Klondike Kate had a far better shout at that distinction.