UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Just watched the latest embedded. Stipe is a bit of a knob.

I haven't watched ep 3 yet, so I'm hoping you're right and Miocic does a double turn and I can go back to being fully behind Overeem. 

He's not a dick or anything - he just has a bit of a David Brent vibe off him. Playing up to the cameras, etc. His banter with the other firefighters reminds me of Brent & Finchy.

"Yeah, I'm probably a chilled out entertainer first, fighter second. Bantersaurus Rex third."

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, Stipe doesn't really actually do anything dickish but he just seems a bit of a prat. I don't strongly dislike him or anything but there's something about him that's started to bug me over the last year or so and I can't put my finger on what it is. He just seems like the big div kid at school who tries too hard. He's one of those fighters people seem to like but I don't really know why.

Saying that, I've never found Overeem exactly likeable either so I don't really have a horse in this race. He's done exceptionally well to turn his career around from the slump it was in just a couple of years ago but he's still not someone I root for. I'd be quite happy to see Cain, Werdum or JDS twat the winner of this one.

In the end, I'll probably be pulling for Overeem. Simply because I think that result leads to the more interesting fights in the title picture. Miocic's a good fighter but he lacks...something, for me. I don't know what, I just don't really get excited to watch his fights usually.

• Paid Members

There is something charming about the oafishness of Stipe, I find. He seems like a lovely guy. Him screaming "I'm the world champion" with that look like he'd just seen Alexa Bliss' prolapsed arsehole, instantly made me like the man. I hope he wins.

Overeem is a dick, but he's brilliant at hurting people.

In the end, I'll probably be pulling for Overeem. Simply because I think that result leads to the more interesting fights in the title picture. Miocic's a good fighter but he lacks...something, for me. I don't know what, I just don't really get excited to watch his fights usually.

Miocic vs Cain is the fight at heavyweight for me. Until at least Derrick Lewis gets to the top of that mountain. 

What's the crack with Jimmie Rivera? 19-1 and on a 18 match unbeaten run...I can't recall ever having seen him fight and now he has Faber.

I can't say I'm too fussed about the CM Punk fight. I was really looking forward to that documentary, more than the fight itself, but it was more E4 than HBO. Almost no insight at all into what it takes to become a mixed martial artist. 

• Paid Members

There is something charming about the oafishness of Stipe, I find. He seems like a lovely guy. Him screaming "I'm the world champion" with that look like he'd just seen Alexa Bliss' prolapsed arsehole, instantly made me like the man. I hope he wins.

See, that's one of the things I was thinking of that made me think Miocic a bit of an idiot. Fair play, the guy had just won the UFC gold, but he just looked a right dopey twat to me. Like a hard Rodney Trotter.

What's the crack with Jimmie Rivera? 19-1 and on a 18 match unbeaten run...I can't recall ever having seen him fight and now he has Faber.

Yeah, I wondered that as well when the fight was booked. But apparently Rivera is thought to be a top prospect. I'm not sure really as I don't recall seeing him fight and he hasn't had any real standout wins yet that make you sit up and take notice. Good record but this is by far his first big test. Even a Faber in his late 30s who's been making noises about retiring is still a top 135er. If Rivera beats Faber, he's definitely one to keep an eye on. Jury's out though.

• Paid Members

Someone mentioned on hear before but there is definately a Tim Slyvia vibe to Stipe Miocic

Steady on. 

He can't be that bad.

Maybe a touch harsh but I can shake it. Theres something there.

I really think a win over Faber would be hugh for Rivera. Personally I would still side with Faber, quite strongly actually

I haven't had much exposure to Miocic's personality. I attended his fight with Struve in 2012. Beforehand, I was walking around Nottingham City Centre when I noticed a small commotion. A modest crowd had spotted Miocic in public view, and had approached him pictures. From what I could tell, he was enjoying the attention, and was quite comfortable with it.

However, I've never been particularly interested in him as a person. I enjoy watching him fight though - as I have a soft spot for the Heavyweight division. 

Turns out Punk is meant to have had five amateur fights before being allowed to fight pro by the Ohio State Athletic Commission, but they've bent the rules to allow this fight to happen, ie Dana White has got his chequebook out

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2662038-cm-punk-may-have-needed-special-permission-to-fight-at-ufc-203

Would've been easily fixed (ahem) anyway.

First opponent: Colt Cabana...

(Edit: I need to keep up with the news, evidently.)

Archived