UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Renzo Gracie is predicting a CM Punk win via guillotine;

“I love the guy. I love CM Punk. He’s a great guy, and he’s a very tough guy,” Gracie told SiriusXM Rush. “He trained for a long time with my cousins in Los Angeles, and now he’s training with Duke Roufus. For sure he will represent well this sport. I can’t wait to see his debut.”

“He’s going to be against a tough guy, but I think he has a big chance to win,” he said. “(I think he wins) with a guillotine. I believe, second round.”

I hope so! I've got £50 on Punk to win, then another fiver to win by submission, tenner to win by submission in the second round and another tenner to win by submission in the third.

I've Gotta back my guy. Plus the odds are really good

My mate who works for William Hill online has said they is a lot off money coming in on Punk by sub, apparently when there is a big volume off bets coming in against expectations its as a result of "insider" into but all his seniors seem happy its just wrestling fans backing there guy.

If he does win the bookies will lose a fortune. If Punk gets it in the third round by submission I'll take about £2000.

I know it's not likely, I haven't started planning how to spend it*. But the odds against him are really good. Combined with the amount of people who want to support him that could really leave the bookies out of pocket if there is an upset.

*this is a lie. I know if I win £2000 exactly how I'll spend it

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

lol - Punk was fucking awesome at the weight ins. Got a little chill - he looks confident now. Looking forward to this!

Spot on. Punk mentioned during his interview with Helwani that he's always been mentally tough and it's really coming across.

I'm actually is awe just how much he's taking this in his stride and I sincerely believe everything he has said. He believes he's got absolutely nothing to lose tomorrow and this belief has insanely made start believing he can win.

Gall seemed a rattled there to me and the nerves could quite feasibly get to him tomorrow.

I wonder what a triple on Overeem, Faber and Punk would bring in?

• Paid Members

He showed Gall up at the weigh in. There only looked like one person on the stage when they went face to face. To be fair, like, he should be able to do that. Showbiz is what he does for a living. Gall's had a lot of cheap shots towards Punk since the fight was announced, though, so he deserved to be bitched out like that.

Surely only going to be one winner, though. If Punk wins I'd be absolutely blown away, but as someone said recently (Joe Rogan maybe), you can never predict when the big light comes on. Gall might bottle it. Doubt it, but I reckon that's his best hope. Punk's experience on big nights in front of large crowd and his mental strength is a big plus for him. If he has to right game plan on a night Mickey Gall bottles it, you just never know. I'd laugh if he does, but everyone is so fucking confident he's going to get a kicking, it'd amuse me if he came good.

Its an odd fight, though, because if Punk wins Gall win be called a nobody who they fed him to and if Punk loses he'll be seen as a fake wrestler. To a lot of people he cant win either way. I bet Vince and Triple H will be wanking over the replays if he gets his orbital bone smashed in, though.

• Paid Members

Its an odd fight, though, because if Punk wins Gall win be called a nobody who they fed him to

Yeah people probably will but they really shouldn't. We don't know loads about Gall but from what we do know, he's a pretty tough fight for anyone making their MMA debut. Let alone a guy in his late 30s whose body's been through a load of shit. Punk being 0-0 should render that criticism useless if he wins. They could've easily given him another 0-0 guy and they could've given him an opponent he was more likely to beat (a Strangebrew Thacker off TUF 1 type or something). I'm not Punk's biggest fan but you have to admire what he's doing. And even his harshest critic will have no choice but to give him his due if he wins tonight. Even if he gets his head caved in, he gave it a go and he put the graft in for two years with a top camp. Can't knock how he's gone about it.

Does anyone know how much Punk's making on this fight? No doubt he'll be getting a nice chunk of the PPV money as well but I'd be interested to know what he's picking up as his base pay. He's surely going to be the highest paid MMA debuting fighter ever, right? Or at least since Brock Lesnar debuted on K-1 Dynamite.

If he wins, would it be the most impressive "pro wrestling to MMA" conversion to date, given the circumstances?

I mean Brock impressed people, but there was no reason to expect he wouldn't succeed. Punk's got a laundry list of potential disadvantages going into this.

I sadly missed Jeff Jarrett's debut though so perhaps there's a more even comparison there.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know how much Punk's making on this fight? No doubt he'll be getting a nice chunk of the PPV money as well but I'd be interested to know what he's picking up as his base pay. He's surely going to be the highest paid MMA debuting fighter ever, right? Or at least since Brock Lesnar debuted on K-1 Dynamite.

We won't know until after the fight and even then we'll only get the base. All that's really known about it is he signed for 8 fights, which is hilarious given Punk's age and the rate at which the first happened.

I've read and heard a few people in the know types say they've completely over estimated the value of Punk though. Whether that's due to them knowing the money he gets a fight, or their faith in him as a draw is unknown. Be interesting to see how this does. Meltzer said on the MMA Hour that if the show does well over 300k then that surely all Punk.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if this show does well it's undeniably mostly on the back of Punk. As good a fight as Miocic vs Overeem is, it's a complete afterthought really. I've barely even thought about that fight myself, to be honest. And it's a hell of a fight. But it's not like Overeem's a proven PPV draw and Miocic definitely isn't. No mistake, Punk is the draw here. His next fight (if there is one) mightn't be such a draw but the curiousity of him making his UFC debut under these circumstances makes this fight way more intriguing than it has any right to be given the skill level. It's a fight unlike anything the UFC have ever done. Even Couture vs Toney pales in comparison because, although he wasn't an MMA fighter, Toney was a pound-for-pound great in boxing at one time.

But yeah if this PPV draws well, and I think it will, it's on Punk. The fact it's being promoted as if it's the main event speaks volumes.

If he wins, would it be the most impressive "pro wrestling to MMA" conversion to date, given the circumstances?

It's got to be #1, if not up there, hasn't it? There's been a few pro wrestlers who have done well in MMA. Kazushi Sakuraba is the big one for me. He had some catch wrestling knowledge but to go from pro wrestling to clowning four Gracies (when the Gracies were considered almost untouchable) in a few years is going to be hard to top. Brock's got to be in the convo as well for winning the UFC title in only his fourth pro fight. There's Josh Barnett as well but he was a fighter before he started wrestling. But yeah, all the odds are against Punk here. If he wins it'll be some achievement.

I sadly missed Jeff Jarrett's debut though so perhaps there's a more even comparison there.

Double J would've ruled the MMA world if he wasn't busy grounding and pounding Karen. That shows how bad a motherfucker Jarrett is. Shagging Kurt Angle's missus and Kurt did fuck all about it.

He looked like a fucking superstar, there. Dana White had that big fucking balloon headed smile on, that he does when one of his cash cows performs.

Leaving Mickey Gall hanging with the handshake, then staring him down as he scuttles off, might prove to be Punks most dominant MMA performance ever. But, fuck it, it was great.

• Paid Members

Ha, yeah. At the very least Punk won at something this weekend. He did it so well even I started to think he had a real chance.

Yeah, if this show does well it's undeniably mostly on the back of Punk. As good a fight as Miocic vs Overeem is, it's a complete afterthought really. I've barely even thought about that fight myself, to be honest. And it's a hell of a fight. But it's not like Overeem's a proven PPV draw and Miocic definitely isn't. No mistake, Punk is the draw here. His next fight (if there is one) mightn't be such a draw but the curiousity of him making his UFC debut under these circumstances makes this fight way more intriguing than it has any right to be given the skill level. It's a fight unlike anything the UFC have ever done. Even Couture vs Toney pales in comparison because, although he wasn't an MMA fighter, Toney was a pound-for-pound great in boxing at one time.

But yeah if this PPV draws well, and I think it will, it's on Punk. The fact it's being promoted as if it's the main event speaks volumes.

Definitely. This week really proved a point when it came to what draws people in, because when I mentioned there was a big UFC heavyweight title fight featuring Stipe v Overeem this weekend, to the same people that were losing their mind over the Diaz/McGregor 2 hype/fight they couldn't give a care until I mentioned CM Punk is fighting too. They may watch it now.

• Paid Members

Regardless of what happens in the fight Punk deserves credit for what he's done up until now. He's silenced many of his critics simply with his attitude and work ethic, considering he's already a multi-millionaire and given the setbacks he's faced he's gutted it out and made it to the fight . He's carried himself like a pro, good on him.

• Paid Members

What sort of time is the Punk fight likely to start? Got a 6 year old who has swimming lessons first thing Sunday morning so no chance am I seeing the whole show.

Well the main card starts at 3am and Punk's fight is the third fight on the main card. I think you'll be looking at somewhere around 4am when 'Cult of Personality' kicks in mate.

Archived