UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I think with Punk is, he's fallien into a 'humble, respectful, let-my-fists-do-the-talking' model of fighter, and there's no fucking way that's what they hired him for.

At the presser where he said 'I'm glad to be free of having to cut promos and having to try to sell pay per views with my personality' I could imagine Dana, under his breath, saying 'fucking twat'...

• Paid Members

What I think with Punk is, he's fallien into a 'humble, respectful, let-my-fists-do-the-talking' model of fighter, and there's no fucking way that's what they hired him for.

At the presser where he said 'I'm glad to be free of having to cut promos and having to try to sell pay per views with my personality' I could imagine Dana, under his breath, saying 'fucking twat'...

I'm not so sure about that Daz. I think both guys were clever enough to know that there's no possible way you could trash talk another fighter whilst having no fighting experience whatsoever. It would actually be a mockery if Punk turned the trash talk dial to 11 whilst his opponent would just retort with something like "you're a fake wrestler" every time. 

Dana is banking on the popularity of Punk and the following on social media he has. He has 2.62m followers on twitter alone. I'm guessing a massive % of them are WWE fan who have never even watched a UFC fight. Even if only 5% of those that follow him pay for the event, that's 130k extra buys that were never going to be there. 

He's hoping for something similar from what happened with Lesnar. People tune into to see his fight, but fall in love with the sport and continue to watch. 

• Paid Members

I'm not so sure about that Daz. I think both guys were clever enough to know that there's no possible way you could trash talk another fighter whilst having no fighting experience whatsoever. It would actually be a mockery if Punk turned the trash talk dial to 11 whilst his opponent would just retort with something like "you're a fake wrestler" every time. 

agree 100%, Punk's pretty much played this thing perfectly. I don't think for one second that Dana expected Punk to come in and start making outrageous claims, before Punk was even involved with MMA anytime he talked about the sport he was highly respectful and came off as a genuine fan.

I heard on a podcast that they thought Punk has fucked up by not ramping up the shit talking...but considering there's a large portion of fans, pundits and fighters who think the whole thing is making a mockery of the sport, i  dont think Punk has done anything to fuel that argument. He simply signed on to fight, showed everyone respect, got his head down and trained his arse off, huge respect to him.

Must admit I agree with Daz on this.

Why else would they sign a 36 yr old with no experience and a history of injuries!

I'm sure they wanted 'Cm Punk', the polarisng c**t to ramp up interest and upset people etc.

What they've got is Phil Brooks in humble mode. That can't be what they thought they signed!

Kinda like signing Hogan to promote an event and quiet Terry Bollea shows up!

• Paid Members

but why? how false would that be? Punk is in no position to be a polarising cunt, he's a treating this whole venture with the hubleness and respect it deserves. What good would it do Punk to come into MMA and have the entire scene and everyone involved in it turn on him because of his attitude?

Even some fighters who were very critical of the whole affair to start with (Askren, Nate Diaz), have changed their opinion and praised him for the way he's approached this.

Punks comes across great. I like him. And I think he's done a great job of endearing himself to the MMA crowd.

But I just can't believe they hired someone with Punk's CV and expected him to be vanilla and humble, like everyone else they've got.

You're right, he can't come over and give it the billy big bollocks 'best in the world' schtick, but there are other ways he could have stirred the pot, I think.

If he wins though, I want him cross legged in the ring, dropping pipe bombs. GTS'ing Rogan.

• Paid Members

but why? how false would that be? Punk is in no position to be a polarising cunt, he's a treating this whole venture with the hubleness and respect it deserves. What good would it do Punk to come into MMA and have the entire scene and everyone involved in it turn on him because of his attitude?

Even some fighters who were very critical of the whole affair to start with (Askren, Nate Diaz), have changed their opinion and praised him for the way he's approached this.

Precisely.

I think both Daz and JRPO have got their pro wrestling fan's hats on here. This is a sport at the end of the day, and yes, whilst promotion is essential, and pro wrestling is an influence when it comes to promotion, it has to at least feel authentic.

There really is no middle ground here, it's either the Punk we are seeing now or a fake trash Punk who would be openly mocked by both his opponent and mainstream media. It would be a black eye to the sport for me if it just became a joke.

Punk just fighting was a potential black eye to the sport too but with the way he's gone about things that talk has now died.

Joe Rogan when Punk was signed said it was his fanbase and following as to why the UFC decided to sign him. The potential for new eye balls on the sport was a main driver in the deal. There was nothing mentioned at all in relation to Punk fake trash talking his way into a public mockery. 

As mentioned, both he and Dana are cleverer than that. 

To note, the above interview with Helwani is why he was signed as well. It's absolutely magnificent and Punk truly is fascinating.

Archived