UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UFC aired a live training session with Punk yesterday (it's half an hour and still on you tube). He definitely looked better than the doc has shown, but nowhere near the level you'd expect of a pro fighter.

I've seen nothing to suggest he's not going to get dead.

To play Devil's Advocate (although I think Punk gets beat, and in the first round), all the talk of Punk "getting destroyed" and not being at the level of a pro fighter... I think some are forgetting how inexperienced Mickey Gall is. 2-0, and his last fight was against a media reporter who was basically a practice dummy. His debut fight ended quickly too. For all the questions about Punk, there's a ton about Gall too.

What happens if Punk tries to pressure Gall? Does Gall have good striking defence? Clinch defense? Takedown defense? Or is he a front runner that is only good being the bully? Mike Jackson didn't even try and hit him.

But again, just playing Devil's Advocate. Gall by 1st round TKO or sub.

To play Devil's Advocate (although I think Punk gets beat, and in the first round), all the talk of Punk "getting destroyed" and not being at the level of a pro fighter... I think some are forgetting how inexperienced Mickey Gall is. 2-0, and his last fight was against a media reporter who was basically a practice dummy. His debut fight ended quickly too. For all the questions about Punk, there's a ton about Gall too.

What happens if Punk tries to pressure Gall? Does Gall have good striking defence? Clinch defense? Takedown defense? Or is he a front runner that is only good being the bully? Mike Jackson didn't even try and hit him.

But again, just playing Devil's Advocate. Gall by 1st round TKO or sub.

Also, what if pro wrestler Punk, the worker, is knowingly turning in substandard performances when the cameras are on, because he wants to catch Gall by surprise?

I mean, think back to the carny origins of pro wrestling. The pro would make himself look beatable so that lads in the audience would fancy their chances and everyone would bet in the challenger's favour.

I'm not saying this is what's happening, but I will be singing Punk's praises from here to Kingdom Come if he steals a debut victory in the UFC by working everybody and then retires undefeated with a shit eating grin on his face. Maybe even returning on Raw to hug Vince McMahon.

• Paid Members

His debut fight ended quickly too. For all the questions about Punk, there's a ton about Gall too.

There are, but based on how long he's been training, and the camp he fights out of, you have to believe that Gall is legit.

The interview i saw with Jim Miller (Gall's team mate) was most telling when asked how he thought the fight would go, Miller's reaction was that it was going to be a bit of a mismatch. You could say Miller would always say that, but he's been around the game long enough and is enough of a straight talker to have me believe him.

Gall has the air of someone who has just found a golden ticket. He's only 2-0 and has landed a fight on a prominent ppv (arguably the bout of interest) against a fighter whose got a mainstream following and even a TV show (on his evolution) and yet stands (in his mind) 0% chance against him!

If he does f Punk up bad he's going to get aload of publicity and it will springboard his name!

Helluva deal if u ask me!

• Paid Members

yeh, Gall's landed a pretty sweet deal here. Problem is he'll likely have to take a massive step back in terms of exposure going forward because he's still a novice himself and will have to be matched correctly.

• Paid Members

Bout order is finally, well, finalised;

PPV MAIN CARD

Stipe Miocic vs Alistair Overeem - Heavyweight Title

Fabricio Werdum vs Travis Browne

CM Punk vs Mickey Gall

Urijah Faber vs Jimmie Rivera

Joanne Calderwood vs Jessica Andrade

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Jessica Eye vs Bethe Correia

Nik Lentz vs Mairbek Taisumov

Caio Magalhaes vs Brad Tavares