UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ā 

Ā 

and he seems like a cool guy.

Really? I'd hardly describe him as cool. You're bang on about his passion though, he wanted to do this and he is doing it. Total respect to the guy for doing it.
Maybe cool isn't the right word. I don't know. He just seemed really down to earth, open and honest about his situation, and a much nicer guy than the bitter, whingey version of himself that existed in those final few months in WWE.
Yeah that's fair enough. As I say, I've nothing but respect for the guy for doing this, and he's totally humble about it.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my one takeaway from this was that he seemed like a pretty nice guy. I'm a fan, but I'd never have described him as that before.

Ā 

I like that they're showing his 'evolution', and he'll get better, but it's safe to say he didn't show any natural talent or instincts. If he does blossom into a half decent fighter then we'll know he fucking grinded for it.

• Paid Members

I'm fascinated as to whether they'll openly show his evolution, or if they'll show less and less of his training as the episodes continue. Whilst it would make for great TV to see him get better, and it'll certainly speak volumes for his work ethic given how naturally unskilled he seemed this week, you wouldn't image that'd be the best strategy going into the fight, to allow his opponent to scout him on national TV.

Ā 

If anything, the fact that no-one knows what the fuck to expect from him is one of his greatest strengths going into the fight. Mickey Gall knowing his current level of ability leaves Punk with one less chance of victory, when he doesn't have many to begin with.

• Paid Members

How mad is it that Gall vs Punk is a fight between a 2-0 rookie and a 37 year old 0-0 novice and they were previewing that on 202 last night as if it was the main event? I can't even remember if they mentioned Miocic vs Overeem at all. If they did it was very briefly in passing.

Ā 

Not knocking them, Punk's debut is the selling point and something they've got to promote. But what a weird and unique situation all-round. Take Punk's WWE fame out of it and skills-wise this is a Bellator prelim on a UFC PPV.

Ā 

Haven't got around to watching the first episode of that Punk doc yet but I've got it recorded. Looks really good. I might just wait 'til all 4 have aired and watch the lot on 203 fight week.

Ā 

Having had a chance to re-think on this it is a masterstroke.

Ā 

Ā 

1. The coverage of this across wrestling and mma fans have been huge.

2. This will generate a lot of interest and Ā£Ā£Ā£.

3. This will bring in fans from mma to wrestling and vice versa.

4. The whole story of this has got 'blu-ray with extras' written all over it (if he wins).

5. If he wins and doesn't fancy anymore mma his bargaining power back to wwe will be huge (can u imagine I'm crowing about him conquering mma).

Ā 

Really its win win all-round (providing he doesn't get hurt)

I respect him immensely for getting there considering the amount of training he's had and when you factor in his age aswell.

But I can't see him winning it and if he makes it beyond the first round he's done very well for himself. Having said that, I see Gall taking it by submission within two minutes

• Paid Members

Depends how it goes really. If he engages a bit, has a bit of an exchange and makes it out of the first round then fair play. If he circles for a minute throwing shadow punches, not so much.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Something like this would do, actually.

• Paid Members

How mad is it that Gall vs Punk is a fight between a 2-0 rookie and a 37 year old 0-0 novice and they were previewing that on 202 last night as if it was the main event? I can't even remember if they mentioned Miocic vs Overeem at all. If they did it was very briefly in passing.

Ā 

Ā 

they did, they just advertised them seperately (bare in mind i watched the Fight Pass feeds which cram dead air with adverts)

Ā 

It does worry me how 'ill' he looks as a standard.

Ā 

I could understand it in WWE as apparently the schedule was killing him (his words) and he had all sorts of injuries and infections!

Ā 

I know he has been training very hard however he just looks so drawn, tired and Ill in all his pics!

• Paid Members

If they're hardcore fans I imagine they're watching anyway. It's probably more about getting as much content out of Punk as possible, claw backĀ as much cash as possibleĀ if it ends up being a 1 fight deal.

Archived