UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

You know what the Punk doc reminded me of? Can anyone remember when Bob Mortimer trained for a celebrity boxing match against Les Dennis? There was this vibe about it that the trainers were like "oh well, you're shit but we didnt expect anything more." Punk's taking it serious, so you cant fault him for that, but the rest of the world sees this as a big circus. The narrative seems to be "fake wrestler cant even beat Craig."

Mickey Gall looks so fucking hungry if you ever see an interview with him. He's always grinning. Like this is a lotto win. Like he's been given a high profile guy to destroy and is going to make a lot of money doing it. This could be a very bad night for Punk.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought it was really good watch. Very interesting to see the slight improvements he's already made. As was already mentioned, you could see small, but definitive improvement in his striking when he was warming up for his practice fight.

You can't fault him for his passion, and he seems like a cool guy, but unless we see some dramatic improvement in the next few episodes I don't think he's got much chance at all.

I still love this whole concept though. It's going to be super interesting to see what happens on the night. I'd fucking love it if he scores the upset with some fluke KO.

Thought the doc was really good, he came across well I thought, its ofcourse an 'evolution' so he'll improve as it the show goes on and seems fairly comfortable for his experience level.

ofcourse he'll get better its been a year and half since those clips, ufc wont want him out there if hes not ready it'll look bad on them too.

• Paid Members

Not really. They're not magicians. Punk's 37 and has no background in any sports, let alone fighting. It would look pretty bad if this old fake wrestler comes in and actually wins. I might have a chance if that's all it takes to develop the skills good enough to beat a UFC fighter. Mickey Gall isnt anything special, but he's trained for years. He's not been eating quavers while Punk's been training.

• Paid Members

Aye, awkward exchanges with AJ aside, it was a strong first episode that did a grand job highlighting exactly how off the pace Punk was when he stepped into the gym. The episode made me appreciate Punk's drive, because I'd probably just sack it off after that first fight.

Punk winning doesn't look that bad, IMO. There are plenty of reasons they can spin, such as Gall being a nothing, or it highlighting why MMA is the most exciting unpredictable sport going, or what world class coaching can do for a man should they apply themselves. Plus, you know Dana would love to do his "people were calling me an idiot for doing this, but look" schtick after it.

Not that expect Punk to win, of course. If he makes it through the three rounds without getting Junior Dos Anjos'd then I'd consider that a massive success for him. In reality, it's probably ending early.

Not that expect Punk to win, of course. If he makes it through the three rounds without getting Junior Dos Anjos'd then I'd consider that a massive success for him. In reality, it's probably ending early.

Don't know who this chap is.

No really, I'm not sure if you're referring to RDA or JDS. The lightweight dos Anjos has battered Anthony Pettis en route to a judge's decision, which would be a bad result for Punk. The heavyweight Dos Santos has KOed someone inside a minute.

• Paid Members

No really, I'm not sure if you're referring to RDA or JDS. The lightweight dos Anjos has battered Anthony Pettis en route to a judge's decision, which would be a bad result for Punk. The heavyweight Dos Santos has KOed someone inside a minute.

My bad. I was referring to Junior dos SANTOS and those couple of times Velasquez battered him for a most of the fight. 

• Paid Members

and he seems like a cool guy.

Really? I'd hardly describe him as cool. You're bang on about his passion though, he wanted to do this and he is doing it. Total respect to the guy for doing it.
Maybe cool isn't the right word. I don't know. He just seemed really down to earth, open and honest about his situation, and a much nicer guy than the bitter, whingey version of himself that existed in those final few months in WWE.

• Paid Members

That'll be this one:

IMG_9621.jpg

Archived