WWE Battleground 2016 Spoilers and Predictions

The Clint

Very enjoyable show. I agree with the general sentiments of the crowd; Zayn/Owens was brilliant, the Shield triple threat was disappointing considering what it probably should've been, Young/Miz was a trainwreck at the end and the rest of the show was mostly pretty good.

I had held out some dumb hope that Steph was going to help Reigns rather than Rollins and they'd find some way to execute a double turn. Would imagine there's a belt being brought out of a briefcase tonight on RAW.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i feel abit sorry for Big Cass having to follow Enzo in the promo department, his audience particiption bit is ok but he always seems so uncomfortable doing the comedy stuff.

He often has that vacant, dumb as a box of rocks look on his face in the background. And he always speaks in such a way that I expect him to fuck up his line any second, but he never does.

• Paid Members

My big take away from this show is Enzo is going to keep the private jet running, if they bother giving him a proper push in the future (where he gets booed because). His mental mannerisms remind me a bit of Randy Savage, because his ticks and what not work. He's cartoony but, importantly, authentic which is pretty rare in WWE these days. He's everything I love about pro wrestling; bold, colourful and entertaining. Vince clearly sees Big Cass as the money player going by how hard JBL was pushing him as a future champion.

Pleased our Dean won again. The match was decent enough, if a wee bit forgettable for the first proper Shield three way. My biggest fear going forward is they'll just continue with Reigns as a babyface and Rollins as a heel. Reigns coming out, with his lovely beard, and telling all what a lovely big cock he has would make for some decent telly. Certainly more entertaining than Reigns doing his current "haters" meme gimmick.

Pleasantly surprised that Breezango won, still think they could make some very funny skits with these two.

Again pleasantly surprised with Banks making Charlotte tap out, thought it was a given it'd be Dana. Bayley was expected and she didn't really get a chance to show her worth with the exception of that drop-kick through the turnbuckle. Still got a huge pop though, quicker she's on the main roster on a permanent basis the better.

New Day against Wyatts was a lot better than I was expecting. Woods get freaked out constantly was a nice touch - though given they're on different shows now I'm not sure what it leads to. 

Rusev is a beast and demonstrated it again against Ryder. The Accolade at the end looked lethal.

Zayn and Owens delivered not only the best match of the night but the best match of theirs to date. They both gave it their all. Still expecting them to go one more round at SummerSlam though, preferably in an Iron Man match where there can then be no questions over who is the better of the two.

Natalya going over Becky was the biggest disappointment of the night, even with Becky showing once again her tremendous babyface ability. They surely can't be having Natalya as the star of the women's division on SmackDown can they? Hopefully Becky gets her revenge at SummerSlam and moves onto something different.

Miz and Young ended in the sort of way I was expecting with Miz being DQ'd in some way or other. Admittedly, I didn't think Young would be as well. It was a match that the crowd didn't really seem to want. Miz is a great heel, and gets a lot of plaudits on here for it, but Young was nowhere near ready to be the man to stop him so the outcome of Miz retaining somehow was always obvious.

Cena, Enzo, Cass against The Club was a decent match, after Enzo once again shone on the mic. I would have preferred either Enzo or Cass getting the victory but it's understandable that Cena would, it gives him ammunition to now get a final match with AJ at SummerSlam.

Ambrose won, I'm happy. Match itself weren't great, nor was it shit like a lot of triple threats are, but it was over the top on the brand pride malarky. I thought it also made the US and IC Titles look even less important. With the possibility of both of them going to the other brand, surely the GM/Commissioner should have cared enough about them to be out there or at least give their champion/challenger some words of encouragement. 

Overall, a decent enough show for a supposedly B (or maybe even C) show. 

Mojo came across as an absolute spanner and made me feel really sorry for Ryder that he has to associate with him.

Expected more from the main event but expectations were really high. Great stuff though.

I was sure Bayley wasn't coming out, the look on Sasha's face came across like she was waiting for it the reveal to be shit on. Really pleased they right person came out. Owens and Sami stole the show. Enzo was awesome and Cena played his part really well, presented as the top guy but really let the other two shine

Rusev looked great, just a big manly looking heel with a stunning other half outside. His look of bafflement at mojo as he stepped out looked great too.

Cena looked soo dated next to Enzo. His running over and raising his hand mid promo was embarrassing dad level cringe

Bayleys debut was fantastic. Following her through NXT and Breaking Ground and seeing how much making her main roster debut meant to her when her music hit and she got the response that she did from the crowd (and seeing Sashas smile in the ring) it legitimately brought a tear to my eyes. This was the moment of the night for me and I'm so pleased for Bayley.

The match itself was alright and the crowd was into everything they did but it seemed the finish came just as the match was getting interesting. I pretty much feel the same way about Becky/Natalya though that match was slower to start it had a similar abrupt finish.

Almost everything else on the card was solid with Zayn/Owens being the match of the night for me. I absolutely LOVED the final moments here with Zayn holding onto a lifeless Owens before delivering the final blow. That was really captivating stuff.

Great show. I was only half watching the first few matches as I was unpacking in my new house- but KO/zayn made me sit up and take notice!

Match of the night easily-both these guys are fantastic but it was awesome to see Sami have his moment.

Surprised that cena got a clean win over styles, expected that gallows/Anderson would take the fall. Interesting to see where the respective furds go on both shows.

As many have already stated, the triple threat felt short, but I'm pleased they are sticking with Ambrose and he looked like a strong champion last night, having gone over both shield members in a week. Everyone coming out to congratulate him reminded me of hitmans win at wm X- perhaps not quite so genuine, but was a nice moment to go off air on and I'll definitely be tuning into 'snack down live'

Rusev's reaction to Mojo was great. Proper "o...k, I'm going to go stand over here now" type stuff.

Natayla's idea of being a heel just seems to putting her arms in the air for a bit. She's always had she shit-eating grin so you can't say that's an addition to the character.

Sasha's getting the tap out on Charlotte makes sense. It may be basic, but it's logical booking. "If that had been a one on one title match, I'd be the champ now. So wheres my title shot?" to borrow from Bulldog. Bayley's pop was absolute magic, but as has been mentioned already shame she didn't get to do a great deal.

The Wyatts/New Day match was ok, but Xavier in the trance has seemed a bit shit from the start of the angle. He went to kneel in front of Wyatt during the match similar to when Bryan joined the family, but now that they're going to on different shows its begs the question as to what the payoff for the thing was ever going to be. Big E seemed to land on his noggin quite bad after doing his through the ropes tackle.

Also regarding the New Day's reign as tag champs being the longest ever, Demolition held them for longer didn't they? Or are Demolition in the WWE doghouse, so we'll just pretend that never happened

Main event was ok and actually all three guys in the match for good periods rather one guy being dead on the outside until they're spot comes round

I liked the show top to bottom barring maybe a few of the shorter matches. I really want to like the Zayn/Owens bout. The problem I find with it is that they kick out of EVERYTHING (a theme I see in a lot of Owens' matches). There is little in the way of inventive counters. We have seen so many people kick out of the Blue Thunder Bomb, the Pop Up Powerbomb etc that I can't take any near fall seriously. Plus IMO if every move you do the person kicks out it makes everything you do as a finish look weak. Just an opinion though. 

At least with the Cena et al tag they had the finishers broken up by another person rather than a straight kick out. I really dislike that style where everyone kicks out of everyone's finishers. Finishers used to be just that... and you would work hard to avoid them. Now everyone seems to kick out of everything... doesn't help drama. 

the pop up powerbomb has been protected as hell! Sami just getting his foot there was genius and not transparent at all to me

Ashamed to say just for a second I thought we might get Kurt Angle coming out when Rusev attacked Ryder after the match(As Raw is in Pittsburgh tonight) very disappointed when Mojo came out. A very enjoyable show overall though.

Hopefully we shall see Bayley again shortly. Pop she got was incredible.

Zayn and Owens stole the show in my opinion. Great match that definitely left me guessing as to who was winning.

Orton's reference to Lesnar's drug failure - like it. Jericho was right that he might pay for it though. I can't imagine Lesnar being too happy about it.

WWE HAVE to officially turn Reigns now dont they? I mean he has is dead in the water as their top guy now, surely?

I can see him getting the HHH in 1996 after the Curtain Call incident for a good while yet, bad business move or not.

• Paid Members

Hopefully we shall see Bayley again shortly. Pop she got was incredible.

Nah, they'll chuck her back down to NXT, trolling innit. It's what they do with wrestlers we like eh?

Archived