WWE Battleground 2016 Spoilers and Predictions

The Clint

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It came off a little clumsily, but if anyone genuinely didn't follow the ending to the IC Title match, it went like this:

The Miz tries to leave and retain by count out. Backlund stops him. Miz slaps Backlund.

Backlund loses it, intimidating Miz enough for Derren Young to pull him back in the ring.

The conniving Maryse slaps Backlund, then takes a dive and pretends the raving old lunatic attacked her.

The Miz comes back out to attack Backlund in retaliation, and Young saves his coach by applying the chickenwing on the arena floor.

The bell rings (I didn't catch the ref's decision but it's some kind of countout or DQ), and Young won't release the hold, because along with the chickenwing he's also inherited the mania that consumed Backlund in '94.

The Miz was the first victim, but we'll no doubt see it develop into a heel turn for Young as more sympathetic targets fall foul (or should that be fowl?) of Young's psychotic chickenwing when he continues to snap over the coming weeks.

• Paid Members

It came off a little clumsily, but if anyone genuinely didn't follow the ending to the IC Title match, it went like this:

The Miz tries to leave and retain by count out. Backlund stops him. Miz slaps Backlund.

Backlund loses it, intimidating Miz enough for Derren Young to pull him back in the ring.

The conniving Maryse slaps Backlund, then takes a dive and pretends the raving old lunatic attacked her.

The Miz comes back out to attack Backlund in retaliation, and Young saves his coach by applying the chickenwing on the arena floor.

The bell rings (I didn't catch the ref's decision but it's some kind of countout or DQ), and Young won't release the hold, because along with the chickenwing he's also inherited the mania that consumed Backlund in '94.

The Miz was the first victim, but we'll no doubt see it develop into a heel turn for Young as more sympathetic targets fall foul (or should that be fowl?) of Young's psychotic chickenwing when he continues to snap over the coming weeks.

Except for the fact that he put Miz in the Million Dollar Dream/Cobra Clutch, above is what I got from it

I thought something about it looked odd, you're right. I wonder if they're deliberately sidestepping the chickenwing for the same reason they ditched Rollins' curb stomp - easy to copy yet difficult to do safely (Bret Hart says the chickenwing was always as painful as it looked).

• Paid Members

I can confirm that the crossface chicken-wing is painful as fuck. When you apply it properly with your fingers interlocked, if you've got a good grip, it feels very much like you could separate the victim's shoulder with only a marginal movement of your left arm in an upward direction.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if you do it properly then it's a right bastard. But during Backlund's 90s run he never used to interlock his fingers unlike he did during his first run, did he? I thought he always just used his right hand to pull their face across and that's it. Young can just do that, much safer and less painful version.

Archived