WWE Battleground 2016 Spoilers and Predictions

The Clint

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent show, BreezeAngo (can we call them the fucking Pretty Boys or Gorgeous Guys or something? lazy bastards) and Usos had a decent contest on pre-show and was delighted to see BreezeAngo win. Usos are good at flying about and everything but fuck they are stale, and fucking annoying too.

Bayley in the collective sigh of relief moment! Great pop, delighted for her.

New Day/Wyatts was pretty good, I thought this feud would be half-baked at first but I enjoyed it! The Bray/Xavier thing was good viewing and a good finish. Big E sure landed horribly on the spear to the outside on Strowman. Glad to see he's still alive.

Rusev/Ryder was okay. Ryder did a decent job at the underdog role, and you gotta love Rusev wrenching in that accolade. Rusev couldn't have looked less intimidated by Mojo. Whyy has every fucker who faces Rusev gotta dress like Uncle Sam tho ffs?

Owens/Zayn surprisingly, for me, stole the show. Yeah we've seen a lot of them out there together this year but I've got to call that their best WWE showing with each other. Once they got going they absolutely killed it. Don't know what went on with Sami's springboard moonsault though - nasty! Hope they're leading to an Owens face turn down the line

Natalya beating Becky sucks, but with that Smackdown women's roster, it was practically necessity to make somebody else look decent. At least Natalya suits this role a lot better. Worried about Becky though. Any returning women we could get to help fill out the division? What are Beth Phoenix, Michelle McCool, Mickie James & Gail Kim up to nowadays? Apart from Asuka, practically every woman in NXT needs to develop a proper character and aren't near call-up status

The IC match was stupid as hell. Crowd weren't that arsed and I dunno what that finish was supposed to be. Also called it as soon as Cole, the dolt, as soon as the bell rang said "DY has to pin or tap Miz to win the title", yeahh, we fucking know spoilsport. Backlund ripping his shirt half-off made me absolutely piss myself though.

Enzo, what a star! Had that crowd eating out of his hand. That match delivered, just really fun. 

Randy was alright. Not missed him by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it helped add some personal intrigue for that Summerslam match, especially after that cheeky reference to Lesnar's failed drug test. Jericho on the stick, just a joy, and helped the segment along a shitload. Liked the Fandango burn from Randy and the inevitable RKO was great

Triple threat, good, but a little disappointing? Not so much the result, which I'm in favour of. But I wanted the match to be about these three guys - the GMs coming out and the separate locker rooms just added a distraction I didn't particularly want (though Bryan's pep-talk to Deano was amazing stuff). Match also felt a little short? Or maybe I was just enjoying it. Didn't get my Reigns & the Authors of Pain finish I dreamt about, ah well, I just hope they don't just shuffle Reigns down the pack now though.

What a crowd reaction that women's match got. Great to hear. Charlottes getting bigger body wise than most of the guys, the women getting wellness checks?

• Paid Members

Randy Orton wore trousers! Note the date down! Really good segment actually. Brilliant work from both guys and Randy's "No enhancement needed" barb was obvious but brilliant. Jericho's shitty goatee is a brilliant touch. And him bigging up Stephanie McMahon as a heat-seeking device was great. Loved that he recognised the phoniness of it too. Nice touch.

Zayn/Owens was marvellous. Best match in WWE since Reigns/Styles. Just full of lovely touches from two guys who know each other so well such as the moves they both saw coming. Loved Owens rubbing his beard on Sami's head when he had him down. Just a little bit of extra irritation - like two brothers scrapping and doing anything they can to annoy the shit out of the other one.

Fucking adore Enzo Amore. If that cunt isn't the next big star in WWE, they want shutting down for ineptitude. Glorious promo, great crowd interaction and good stuff from Cass too. The match was alright. Didn't like the finish much. Horribly contrived and looked really shit. Fuck that tho, was all about Enzo. First saw him on a random episode of NXT when they were feuding with that French guy who ended up getting his hair cut and he was immediately interesting as a promo and looked distinctive. They've got the regular act down to a tee but the stuff they're throwing in for each show is better than anything else on the shows.

Rest of it was decent but I wasn't concentrating much if I'm honest. Surprised Becky had to put over that pudgy faced twat. Loved the reaction for Bayley and the finish was red-hot. Smart opening match. People want to love Bray Wyatt don't they?

Not massive on the OTT brand pride stuff already but interested in what they're going to do and I'll be adding Smackdown to my Sky+ for the first time in yonks so that's a good thing.

See Lawler was on the panel. He's clearly off Smackdown because they don't fancy him not to cark it during a live broadcast.

I liked the show top to bottom barring maybe a few of the shorter matches. I really want to like the Zayn/Owens bout. The problem I find with it is that they kick out of EVERYTHING (a theme I see in a lot of Owens' matches). There is little in the way of inventive counters. We have seen so many people kick out of the Blue Thunder Bomb, the Pop Up Powerbomb etc that I can't take any near fall seriously. Plus IMO if every move you do the person kicks out it makes everything you do as a finish look weak. Just an opinion though. 

At least with the Cena et al tag they had the finishers broken up by another person rather than a straight kick out. I really dislike that style where everyone kicks out of everyone's finishers. Finishers used to be just that... and you would work hard to avoid them. Now everyone seems to kick out of everything... doesn't help drama. 

• Paid Members

I liked the show top to bottom barring maybe a few of the shorter matches. I really want to like the Zayn/Owens bout. The problem I find with it is that they kick out of EVERYTHING (a theme I see in a lot of Owens' matches). There is little in the way of inventive counters. We have seen so many people kick out of the Blue Thunder Bomb, the Pop Up Powerbomb etc that I can't take any near fall seriously. Plus IMO if every move you do the person kicks out it makes everything you do as a finish look weak. Just an opinion though. 

At least with the Cena et al tag they had the finishers broken up by another person rather than a straight kick out. I really dislike that style where everyone kicks out of everyone's finishers. Finishers used to be just that... and you would work hard to avoid them. Now everyone seems to kick out of everything... doesn't help drama. 

When you say used to, you're going back about 20 years. Near fall, near fall, near fall has been the big match formula in the WWF forever and kicking out of finishers has been the done thing since the Austin/Rock era. I think it's become a bit more prominent recently but it is what it is and has been for a very long time. If you go into Zayn vs. Owens these days and expect something else, I think you're barking.

It's been much more pronounced in the past three years. Owens vs Cena really kicked it into overdrive though I agree it has been done at some level for a long time. The question is, is it because nobody knows how to wrestle without finishers galore? Or is that just the new(er) way?

• Paid Members

It's been much more pronounced in the past three years. Owens vs Cena really kicked it into overdrive though I agree it has been done at some level for a long time. The question is, is it because nobody knows how to wrestle without finishers galore? Or is that just the new(er) way?

Cena in general made it more obvious last year because he was having PPV matches every week.

I don't think it's anything to do with knowing how to wrestle because the WWE crew are generally good workers and have been for a long time. I think it's just become part of the formula for creating drama in their big matches and with each match the previous matches become relevant so you look a pussy if you're losing to just a blue thunder bomb when someone else kicked out of it and the frog splash, etc a month previously. Austin and Rock started it with those matches were they'd not only kick out of their own finisher but each others (which has some logic as could argue don't know how to apply/hit it) but Shawn and Taker took it to another level, then Taker/HHH and so on.

I don't see it makes much difference personally. Years ago you knew a WWF match would only end on a certain finisher. Everything else was fluff.

• Paid Members

Overall a pretty good show I thought. Everything ranged from average to really good. Especially enjoyed Owens/Zayn, The Shield triple threat, and the women's opener. 

A couple of little things I found bizarre though. When they showed the locker rooms sitting down to watch the main event Braun Strowman was standing about 5 feet from Xavier Woods. I know they are trying to get the whole 'brand pride' thing over, but it makes no sense in the context of what happened earlier. 

Equally Erick Rowan was the background MVP for me. Standing flicking something at Baron Corbin in the locker room shot, while wearing the sheep mask, and then having a chinwag with Maryse on the way down to the ring, again while wearing the mask. It might have been the 4am tiredness, but I found the idea of that conversation hilarious. 

• Awards Moderator

I enjoyed that show. Great reaction for Bayley at the start, thought Xavier was the standout of the New Day/Wyatts match, Zayn vs Owens took a little while to hook me in but by the end I was well into it, excellent stuff. Enzo was great before his match, though the match had a bit of an odd feeling since they're all heading off to different shows… kind of felt like it wasn't going to matter all that much what happened because it's not like Styles could go after Enzo afterwards, or Cena could get revenge on the Club, or anything like that. Main event was okay, pre-match video yet again reignited my wish for a Shield reunion. Shield vs. Club, the Summerslam main event we'll forever be denied. Glad Ambrose won.

• Paid Members

Seth Rollins' empty arena promo last week was the best thing he's done in WWE. Although that line about there being a boom of babies named "Rollins" in 9 months time that slayed Foley is a close second.

• Paid Members

i feel abit sorry for Big Cass having to follow Enzo in the promo department, his audience particiption bit is ok but he always seems so uncomfortable doing the comedy stuff.

Archived