All Purpose Weather Moaning Thread

Gus Mears

So far, today has actually been ok. Probably helped by the fact it's a little cloudy out. It has just occured to me that I have a gestational diabetes test on Tuesday morning which means I have to fast for 12 hours beforehand. I can't have anything other than sips of water from 8pm onwards on Monday. Great.

• Paid Members

I'm starting to question whether working from home is a good idea. It got up to 32 degrees last week and it was a struggle, and it's expected to be higher this week. I have a fan, but after midday it's like standing by the generator outlet of an ice cream van.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I find myself hoping against hope that Heaven exists so that I can be glad that the person who invented air conditioning is getting his just deserts. A hero, I tell you!

Fuck's sake, jinxed myself. It's 01:33 and I've had to get up because the air conditioning isn't working in this sort of shed we're in. The phones aren't charging from the power outlets on that side of the room anymore so I think a fuse has gone. Magnificent.

• Paid Members

Just walked to my daughter's school to drop her off for her residential trip, come home, then walk my son to his school in the opposite direction. I feel like Bob Odenkirk in the Bagman episode of Better Call Saul. 

4 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

Hospitals are going to be choc a block from people being dehydrated and sunstroke.

Anyone who comes into hospital because they don't drink enough water should be banned from using the service. I'd extend that to people who sit out all day and drink alcohol and/or energy drinks.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s the nights that kill me. It’s roasting now and work’s been horrible in it but I can handle it. It’s a different kind of heat at night time though, isn’t it? Proper suffocating, can’t get comfortable or cool no matter what you do and actual sleep seems like it’s just a fantasy. 

• Paid Members

It's definitely the hottest I've ever felt it outside. Unbelievable. I've been abroad a lot when I was a kid and the temperatures weren't much different from what they are but somehow it always feels hotter over here. This is the third year running where I've never felt temperatures like this. Might be something in this climate change thing, lads.

I'll be honest, I've got all the blinds down, I've closed the door in the second bedroom (to be honest the only window thats ever open) and the flat is...surprisingly cool, so I really haven't been affected. Sweated through the bed sheets last night though, christ. 

Obviously I haven't been outside cos of Covid, but I've had a look out the window a few times and the amount of people walking their dogs between the hours of 11 and now is unbelievable. 

Also, shout out to work who waited until everyone went in this morning and then decided to close the offices (on government advice) and then send everyone home at 10.30. Wonderfully last minute.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's definitely the hottest I've ever felt it outside. Unbelievable. I've been abroad a lot when I was a kid and the temperatures weren't much different from what they are but somehow it always feels hotter over here. This is the third year running where I've never felt temperatures like this. Might be something in this climate change thing, lads.

Not to sound like a right aged type, but I recall us getting summers like this back when I was a kid. Sitting on the curb looking at the heat lines rising from the melting tarmac. 

It hit 37 degrees in 1990 around the World Cup I recall, for example, and the UK had 15 consecutive days of temperatures above 32°C back in 1976. 

Back in those days you'd get the backs of your legs burned bright red when you got into your dad's old Capri to head to Woolworths. As soon your skin hit that faux leather you knew it was game over. 

Pure polyester football shirts in the baking sun. I'm surprised we even made it out of those days alive. If you complained about the heat you'd get told to piss off and play football before it started raining.

Dehydration? Buy a bottle of Solripe from the shop. 

Kids today etc etc.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Had to dig 2 holes, one at 9am, one at 1pm. Both in unshaded parts of graveyards.

Revenge is nasty business.