All Purpose Weather Moaning Thread

Gus Mears

• 7 months later...

38 degrees where I live on Monday. I am honestly quite worried. I think we may need to buy an air conditioning unit. I don't know how I will cope. I'm 6 months pregnant and I have a toddler to worry about on top of my own issues with the heat.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, deathrey said:

38 degrees where I live on Monday. I am honestly quite worried. I think we may need to be an air conditioning unit. I don't know how I will cope. I'm 6 months pregnant and I have a toddler to worry about on top of my own issues with the heat.

I'm worried as well. I cope quite badly with the heat these days and our flat gets ridiculously hot even when it's just very warm. Your situation is why I'm angry at people treating this like it's going to be wonderful party weather. People are going to die.

People are definitely going to die, it is too hot and we don't have the infrastructure for this kind of heat. The houses aren't designed or built to cope with this kind of heat, it's going to be a tough few days.

@ReturnOfTheMackI feel for you if you are working outdoors. Surely some outdoor working is going to have to be curbed at the beginning of the week? The red warning is saying we need to make adjustments to normal life, anyone working outdoors is surely at some real risk in the predicted heat?

• Paid Members

Working indoors is bad enough, especially if you're stuck under a hot laptop. Outdoors? Should be legislation against that above a certain temperature. I'm just glad my dad's on holiday because the daft old knob would still be out there up his ladder, probably without a hat on as well.

• Paid Members

Unfortunately I work in bereavement services. Funerals and ash burials aren't the kinds of things family's are willing to put off because of the weather. So fat man here can be stuck digging holes in the sun. Or torrential rain. Or anything else. Though at least most people are fine with putting off ash scatterings in the wind...

But yeah. Lots of water, as much shade as possible. At least my bosses have said I don't have to wear a tie while out right now.

I've been working on the bins again for the last month or so due to us been short staffed at work.

Can't wait to be dressed from head to toe in heavy orange clothing, whilst the public say "warm enough for you mate".

Don't think we'll get away with the kilt that the bloke at York Council wore.

Be a grim two days.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Should be legislation against that above a certain temperature

I remember someone suggesting it and being called an antisemitic communist by twats. 

The way the media are going about this with every story printed / posted with a picture of people at the beach is so irresponsible it’ll lead to deaths. My black lung is shit at the best of times but I’m not looking forward to next week at all. 

We got the “Remember to drink plenty of water and put sun cream on” chat every day in work this week always capped off with “and don’t forget your lapsing.” Lapsing is extra work we take out when it’s quiet. That initial concern for our well being seems somewhat disingenuous.