WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Whenever the fair was in town a load of us from school would head down and play winner stays on in the arcade. Originally it was just World Warrior, but then they inevitably got that dodgy hacked Rainbow edition I shit out all my Christmas and birthday money on the then £60 Super Street Fighter II for Megadrive in Dixons when I turned 16. My Mum tried to talk me out of it thinking I'd never play it. How wrong she was. I usually pick Ryu as he's normally the most balanced character and great for learning the game, but Sagat is a beast in Super. Blanka's pretty good as well. I have a massive .TXT file on my PC that has the whole plot to all the games for every character. It's quite an interesting read. I'm pretty terrible at the games though, and uber casual.

I like Street Fighter. It's almost as good as Mortal Kombat.

I remember Christmas 92, all I wanted was Sonic 2 for the Master System- nothing else.

Lucky escape there. That and Sonic Chaos - I made the most of them at the time, but neither were up to the standard of their predecessor, which in my opinion shat all over its Mega Drive cousin too.

• Paid Members

Did you ever read the comics put out by Udon? I'm another total casual at the games but there's some really interesting lore there, especially with Cammy/Killer Bee and The Dolls which didn't seem to be explored in the games as much.

The Dolls are really interesting characters and tie into the story really well. Juni & Juli were in Alpha 3. Decapre was in Ultra Street Fighter IV and there's mumbling that Satsuki, Marz or both of them are going to be in season 2 of Street Fighter V.

Street Fighter's that International Karate clone isn't it? Not bad. 

They're both copies of Data East's Karate Champ. They tried suing Capcom over the first Street Fighter but the judge ruled you can't copyright the "idea" behind a game and threw it out of court.

• Paid Members

I like Street Fighter. It's almost as good as Mortal Kombat.

I remember Christmas 92, all I wanted was Sonic 2 for the Master System- nothing else.

Lucky escape there. That and Sonic Chaos - I made the most of them at the time, but neither were up to the standard of their predecessor, which in my opinion shat all over its Mega Drive cousin too.

You're not wrong, Sonic 2 for the Master System was bloody abysmal. Terrible game. The Mega Drive version on the other hand was superb, probably the 2nd best Sonic game for me (after Sonic CD).

• Paid Members

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is where it's at. That game was massive. I dug out my ROMhack of Knuckles in the first Sonic last night. Marble Zone becomes piss easy because you can climb up that first big wall that usually forces you underground, run across the top then glide to the end.

• Paid Members

Did you ever read the comics put out by Udon? I'm another total casual at the games but there's some really interesting lore there, especially with Cammy/Killer Bee and The Dolls which didn't seem to be explored in the games as much.

The Dolls are really interesting characters and tie into the story really well. Juni & Juli were in Alpha 3. Decapre was in Ultra Street Fighter IV and there's mumbling that Satsuki, Marz or both of them are going to be in season 2 of Street Fighter V.

Street Fighter's that International Karate clone isn't it? Not bad. 

They're both copies of Data East's Karate Champ. They tried suing Capcom over the first Street Fighter but the judge ruled you can't copyright the "idea" behind a game and threw it out of court.

Yep, and that's hilarious because Capcom sued Data East tit-for-tat over Fighter's History for the same reason, losing that suit for essentially trying to copyright the whole genre.

I loved the recent demo, they improved on the beta a whole lot.

I'll be grabbing it at some point but I have too many other games to play first. Your number one boglin boy gave it top marks but Jim's known for going overboard with scores, high or low.

• Paid Members

Fighters' History was a much more blatant ripoff of Street Fighter II than Street Fighter was of Karate Champ.