WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

It could have at least been a Gamecube game, if PS+ can give away games like Resident Evil HD, Yakuza 5 and Transformers Devastation then Nintendo can do a tad better.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could keep each month's game with that Nintendo paid service, but it's a rental in the hope that you'll buy it. Can you imagine if they were giving you access to use a game you already had on the virtual console. What a rip off that'd feel like. Yes there've been months when Microsoft have given away games I already own with Gold that month, but at least I know there'll be another one along in a couple of weeks.

I can totally understand why they're still pushing motion controls because the Wii was the biggest seller of its generation. Without it we wouldn't have Kinect and PS Move. To a lesser extent I can't help but think Wii U led to the cross play stuff with the PS4/Vita and the smartglass features with the 360/XBone. I wonder what Microsoft/Sony may borrow from Nintendo this time around?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

If the Wii hadn't sold in those numbers we wouldn't have had those gimmicks to not give a shit about, though.

It's not the gimmicks themselves that are the problem. They're perfectly fine gimmicks (or eventually became such). But the best gimmick in the world is useless without the right games making use of it, and that's where every company always falls short.

First party studios need to lead the way and make it a must-have device for the unique experiences it provides, because third parties don't want to waste resources developing for something that few people already own or have reason to care about. Microsoft and Sony never really bothered to invest in Kinect and Move software, and Nintendo haven't done much better, so these things just gather dust on the shelves because there's nothing worth playing on them. But there could be.

Looked up the switch online system and seems like it may well only be available in Canada, USA and Mexico at launch. Cannot believe they have not got it for Japan. Looks like they will give it away free in three countries for 6 months to use to gain feedback for release in September/October. I'll still get it.

Does anyone on here own a gaming PC? my current computer is on it's way out so need to buy a new one soon so was thinking of spending a little extra and getting something what could play recent games too but I'm pretty clueless about it all

Technology always evolving but as a minimum nowadays i would say:

8gb RAM

i5 quad core processor

GeForce GTX 960 or equivalent graphics card

256gb SSD

I got a custom build last year; 16gb RAM, i7 skylake, GTX 980 and 256gb SSD + 1TB standard HDD for storage and then bought a 23" BenQ monitor when Ebuyer were doing one of their promos. All in all it was just shy of £900, i kept an eye on the same bits post-brexit and it's would clear a grand now even with technology moving on - depressing!

Resi 7 is gloriously creepy and my god is it good. It feels very much like a homage to the original game but influenced by Hixploitation instead of zombie flicks and has the greatest cast of baddies you're likely to ever meet in a horror game, they're maybe even better than Albert Wesker..

Core gameplay is solid with the combat being tough and ammo sparse instead of the more recent shootathons where you'll rack up 100's of kills with machine guns and the like. Puzzles are just like the first game, they seem quite fair so far and the boss battles are fucking amazing.

• Paid Members

I started trying to trot through the original Shantae on Virtual Console on my other half's 3DS. It's impressive graphically to say it was originally a Gameboy Color game. Like Wario Land 3. Good platforming, good puzzling. Could do with a little more screen real estate with regards to seeing what jumps and enemies are coming up, but it's very impressive. The sounds are straight off of a Commodore 64. Interesting day/night cycle as well.

• Paid Members

I started trying to trot through the original Shantae on Virtual Console on my other half's 3DS. It's impressive graphically to say it was originally a Gameboy Color game. Like Wario Land 3. Good platforming, good puzzling. Could do with a little more screen real estate with regards to seeing what jumps and enemies are coming up, but it's very impressive. The sounds are straight off of a Commodore 64. Interesting day/night cycle as well.

They've just released a brand new sequel made entirely from the ground up for new gen consoles. It's rock hard. Took me forever to beat the second boss.

Resi 7 is gloriously creepy and my god is it good. It feels very much like a homage to the original game but influenced by Hixploitation instead of zombie flicks and has the greatest cast of baddies you're likely to ever meet in a horror game, they're maybe even better than Albert Wesker..

Core gameplay is solid with the combat being tough and ammo sparse instead of the more recent shootathons where you'll rack up 100's of kills with machine guns and the like. Puzzles are just like the first game, they seem quite fair so far and the boss battles are fucking amazing.

I did feel a little lack luster from Resi 7 in terms of horror and storyline. Fun to play though.

I've only got madhouse left to do to 100% the game. Should be fun with the circular saw

From what I've read it's much better in VR

Edited by jasmith85

• Paid Members

In anticipation of Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 coming out free on Games With Gold in the second half of this month I found a copy of the first one on PS2 for a quid in my local charity shop. They've got a copy of the original Battlefront on PS2 at the local market as well. I hear Battlefront 2 on PS2 is where the best action is at, though.