Royal Rumble 2015 Discussion *SPOILERS FYI*

Onyx2

Austin changed up his match style to avoid dem highspots and the booking worked with him with gimmick matches and tags

I remember people saying Bryan had to cut out some of the more high impact stuff after his comeback. If you watch his corner dropkicks to Wyatt during the Rumble he bounces off the ropes with his arse and lands on his feet. Actually don't know if he did it that way before but I'd never noticed it before and thought it was awesome. He's one smart cat, if anyone can adapt his game it'd be Bryan.

Not advocating him over Reigns for the WM spot though. I actually admire the all in booking for once.

Lots of good points being made about the non-,main event lack of creative though. The last two Rumble's in particular have, regardless of outcome, have been dire.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd be more than happy to root for Reigns as the number one guy. His look is superb. But he hasn't proved that he is worth being the man yet. Can anyone tell me Reign's breakout singles stardom performance? You can't because there isn't one. All of his great matches so far have been as part of The Shield (where his character and presence were fantastic).

You look at any real top guy who has actually made it after, say, '95. They all had breakout performances before they lifted the big one and/or they had been at the upper level long enough to have established a dominance, thus the audience was invested and willing to give a damn. I mean, here's some examples...

Shawn Michaels - His ladder matches with Razor Ramon are most important. His collisions and feuds with Diesel, Owen Hart and his Rumble '95 performance added to it all.

The Undertaker - Years of taking down the WWF's giants. Plus, his fued and matches with Mankind showed that he can actually go in the ring and deliver when it comes to blood feuds and exciting matches.

Steve Austin - Match with Bret at 'Mania 13 pretty much cemented him as the guy. A year establishing his character traits and developing his feud with authority brought him up to that next level.

The Rock - Breakout ladder match with Triple H at SummerSlam '98 gave us an all new respect for The Great One. Establishing his promo skills and catchphrases over the course of '97/'98 had the crowd eating out of his hands before he got given his first fun.

Triple H - Very similar route to The Rock i.e SummerSlam ladder match, establishing himself with the fans throughout the late 90's. Although he wasn't completely ready whe he won the title, his feud with Cactus Jack soon changed that. Brawling for the belt against Steve Austin and The Rock before the Cactus Jack series added a helluve lot to his credibility as well.

John Cena - His gangta shtick got over with the fans in 2003. Rubbing the shoulders with the likes of Guerrero, Lesnar and the rest of the Smackdown! crew throughout '03 gave him the star power he needed. 2004 had him defeating the Big Show at WrestleMania 20 in very impressive fashion before being carefully groomed for the big one the following year.

Kurt Angle is a possible exception to the rule, although one can argue that his first title run was a bit of stinker and he then had 8 months of solid matches and promo time to build himself up again for his next title run.

Reigns needs a build similar to The Rock. He has broken out of the faction which gave him his first footing in WWE. He has fantastic matches under his belt as part of The Shield which is solid groundwork to build on. He needs to fued with some big timers, maybe have that one breakout match/moment and then go for gold. As of right now, his singles career has been pretty much garbage. His matches are dull until the finishing sequence. He needs to be established as a main guy before we can all buy into him. Remember when he was bad-ass motherfucker who speared anyone with a pulse through the barricade, powerbomed countless victims through tables and showed off his in-ring potential with impressive apron dropkicks and arching his back like a demon angel when delivering his superman punch? We need THAT guy for a year or so before winning the title.

• Paid Members

Nice post but IMO, almost all completely irrelevant. Today's WWE is a different environment to the one those guys game through. Apart from Rock, Cena and Angle, none of them would even get signed today, let alone become stars.

Once on the roster, they wouldn't have the same opportunities to talk, to talk part in killer angles or to work in an environment where they could be edgy and cool. Do you think in the current WWE Steve Austin is recovering from that Ringmaster gimmick? or Rocky Maivia is going anywhere but a comedy tag team?

What we're seeing now is guys developing a persona in NXT and running with it. And someone high up has to really, really like you for you to get an opportunity like Bray Wyatt has had or like the Shield have.

You're right about the gimmick. No one will argue that Cena lite is the right approach. but who is Reigns going to have these killer singles matches with for the next year as a babyface? If he's not main eventing then he can't be working with Rollins who is the top heel they have. Who else? Wyatt is OK. Kane? Show? Who?

• Paid Members

A series against Daniel Bryan where he goes over but in a respectful fashion. You'll have a split crowd but it'll give Reigns the chance to show what he can do in the upper leagues. Have Bryan come up short, tell the fans that Reigns is the man, do the handshake/hug spot, good times had by all. A feud with Rollins would also be superb. Add in a program with Wyatt, kill a few giants (Show, Kane), hell even a mini-series with guys like Luke Harper would be great. Do a few tags with darlings like Ziggler to keep him on the fans good side. Drop the Cena-lite bollocks and go all-out. A spear to Triple H to round it all off would be a great year long build for him. Then have him win the Rumble, in which he gets more involved than just laying in the corner, and that match sees him rekindling all the feuds from the past year. Cena vs Reigns for the title next 'Mania with that sort of build woud be very tasty.

The days of building a guy up seem to be gone, which is a shame. I'm happy for them to make guys on NXT and then bring them up, but it requires that they actuallly advertise NXT as something that all fans should watch in order for the casual audience to get to know these guys, otherwise they'll just flounder once they get called up. Sami Zayn's build has been fantastic, but i doubt the 12 year old kids singing along to R-Truth's entrance are going to know who he is when he gets the call up. It's two steps forward, three steps back.

• Paid Members

A series against Daniel Bryan where he goes over but in a respectful fashion. You'll have a split crowd but it'll give Reigns the chance to show what he can do in the upper leagues. Have Bryan come up short, tell the fans that Reigns is the man, do the handshake/hug spot, good times had by all. A feud with Rollins would also be superb. Add in a program with Wyatt, kill a few giants (Show, Kane), hell even a mini-series with guys like Luke Harper would be great. Do a few tags with darlings like Ziggler to keep him on the fans good side. Drop the Cena-lite bollocks and go all-out. A spear to Triple H to round it all off would be a great year long build for him. Then have him win the Rumble, in which he gets more involved than just laying in the corner, and that match sees him rekindling all the feuds from the past year. Cena vs Reigns for the title next 'Mania with that sort of build woud be very tasty.

Harper's a good suggestion and I'm still desperate to see the Triple H match. I'd have it as his first feud when he wins the title.

Not sure about the rest. tagging with Ziggler sounds like something anyone can do. A Bryan feud would do him no favours. Both in terms of attracting derision from the smarks and confusing the regular audience. A feud with Rollins would be no good for him as he can't afford losses. He needs to be steam rolling people and Rollins is too good for that.

• Paid Members

Reigns would have been the man by now if they'd have taken the obvious steps to make him the man. They've failed to protect him. You have to protect your green stars. He's the most sure fire hit they've had in a decade. He got over in a popular stable who everyone loved. People liked him before they started pushing him. He would get the pins in those big six man matches and the place would go mad for him. Turning him in a John Cena/Diesel hybrid is what has killed him. They ruined what was a sure fire hit. Completely changing the character of someone who was over is why he's getting the boos. This joke cracking, above it all character who talks like he's reading from a sheet of paper isn't what the fans want to see from him. And its caused a backlash. A backlash you could see coming months ago.

It really stuns me how he's not working John Cena at WrestleMania. Everyone hates John Cena in the arenas. There's no way he's getting booed against him if he were to wrestle him in an old star vs new star match. Reigns should have been positioned as the guy to knock Cena off his perch. Not the guy who does the same shtick that got Cena boos. Seems to be more evidence that they have no idea how to make stars anymore.

• Paid Members

I'm still at a loss as to why they never did the Reigns vs. Triple H match to get him ready for this Wrestlemania run. It felt like they teased it for months, only for nothing to ever come of it. I know his injury didn't help matters, but there was still loads of time before and afterwards where it would have helped him tremendously to smash Triple H on route to the top.

I reckon it would have happened if he hadn't had to get the hernia surgery. But by then the wheels had been set in motion for Sting/HHH when Sting crashed the Survivor Series and I doubt they would have been able to fit in a HHH/Reigns match between then and now without diluting HHH to a degree before the Sting match.

Just thinking about it, was HHH's last win against Brock at WM29?

• Paid Members

A good post Accident Prone but really Roman hasn't had the opportunity to have his big singles breakout performance. When The Shield split he was put in a programme with Randy Orton, the matches were decent but there wasn't any creativity or momentum to the feud, and Kane. Since his return from surgery he's been put in with Big Show of all people. These things take time. Batsita's first truly great match was against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania and he'd been a main eventer for awhile at that point. As others have said Reigns needs to be protected. Even John Cena was pretty shit in the ring when he won the title for the first time, it took ages for him to become the super worker he is now. What makes what's happening with Reigns so frustrating is that pretty much everyone saw it coming ages ago. Everyone except WWE.

My problem—and the problem of thousands of WWE fans—is that the biggest pro wrestling company in the world has, for quite some time, weirdly promoted its product in a way that appears to be spiteful to many of its fans.

Only spiteful to the ones who already hate WWE and base who they like on who they think WWE doesn't want them to like.

Archived