Royal Rumble 2015 Discussion *SPOILERS FYI*

Onyx2

Saying no one wanted Reigns to win is like saying no one likes John Cena. There was a pop for Reigns win, drowned out by boos. As we've seen lots over the years, the boos are louder but they don't signify majority anything.

I feel it's like saying "no-one likes the Tories". The statistics that matter say more people like them than anyone else, otherwise we wouldn't be living under David Cameron, but the truth of it is that most people are not satisfied and would have liked a more engaging alternative. It's not an easy thing obviously - I'm certainly not saying Roman Reigns is akin to David Cameron - but whereas politics are inherently ideological, business shouldn't be and it seems madness to be saying, "well, a 35% approval rate is good enough for us!" when there are more popular options available.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I wonder how it would've gone if Bryan's return had been to do what The Rock did, making the save for Roman at the end of the Rumble.

They would have cheered the same way, DB hits a move cheer, RR does something boo. Followed by the whole crowd chanting yes yes yes and possible "welcome back" making Bryan look like the star

I assumed that The Rock was going to have some kind of confrontation with Rusev especially after Lana tweeted about it just before the Rumble went on the air. Infact the more you think about it The Rock's appearance was pointless.

The Rock has turned into Jericho. Oh he's back again.

but whereas politics are inherently ideological, business shouldn't be and it seems madness to be saying, "well, a 35% approval rate is good enough for us!" when there are more popular options available.

Daniel Bryan did fuck-all for business while Cena was injured in 2013, and never even got near Punk's merchandise sales when he replaced him as the #2 face/#1 Internet face. If the TV crowd approval rate was anything to go by, Ziggler and Bryan would be drawing more money than Cena. But they're not -- their fans are the fans who watch week-in week-out and are going to buy tickets and network subscriptions either way. WWE may have already decided/speculated based on 2013-14 that Daniel Bryan's only ever going to draw X amount of money and could drop crippled at any moment, but that Roman Reigns may draw Y and Z over the next ten years if they keep the rocket on him. 

• Awards Moderator

I can't imagine any situation other than a Bryan won which would have been met with approval. Even if he didn't appear and wasn't advertised, they'd have probably still chanted for him. (Among many other things in the second half of the Rumble) they could have made Roman look a hell of a lot stronger - I watched the 2014 Rumble the other night and THAT Roman Reigns was nowhere to be seen on Sunday; after Lesnar's display in the triple threat Reigns needed to look like 'the only man who could slay the beast' but he really didn't - but they were probably looking at a lose-lose situation whatever they did or didn't do regarding Bryan.

• Moderators

I think the crowd would have been cool with an Ambrose win, as he managed to get a great reaction, but Ambrose seemingly not winning a match since The Shield split was going to make that an impossibility.

• Paid Members

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I'm baffled as too why they brought back Daniel Bryan so soon, only to have him do nothing on TV (admittedly he's been crap, too)  and flounder at the Rumble. How could you not see the backlash coming? In Phillidelphia of all places? I don't buy this 'trying to piss off the smarks' stuff. Their network is not doing what it needs to, there's no way they want risk more money just to get a reaction from the smarks.

And also on that, When did Reigns actually come back to TV? I don't watch Raw regularly, but it wasn't all that long ago, was it? Holding off his return until last night would have resulted in something completely different. 

Reigns came back at the previous PPV, Tables Ladders Chairs (and Stairs).

Bryan was either brought back early for trolling or to up the subscriptions/buyrate. Or just to get him as much ring time as possible before WrestleMania and see how he fares with the comeback before making any major plans with him.

but whereas politics are inherently ideological, business shouldn't be and it seems madness to be saying, "well, a 35% approval rate is good enough for us!" when there are more popular options available.

Daniel Bryan did fuck-all for business while Cena was injured in 2013, and never even got near Punk's merchandise sales when he replaced him as the #2 face/#1 Internet face. If the TV crowd approval rate was anything to go by, Ziggler and Bryan would be drawing more money than Cena. But they're not -- their fans are the fans who watch week-in week-out and are going to buy tickets and network subscriptions either way. WWE may have already decided/speculated based on 2013-14 that Daniel Bryan's only ever going to draw X amount of money and could drop crippled at any moment, but that Roman Reigns may draw Y and Z over the next ten years if they keep the rocket on him. 

Personally I hate that argument. It runs on this logic that the way to create new fans is to show them something current fans don't like. It doesn't make sense. For me the answer is to listen to what the current fans want and try to build a better show around it. For all the "but Daniel Bryan won Wrestlemania!" arguments, he spent most of his time on Raw getting badly beaten up because WWE's impression of the people's favourite is that he's too small to be believable. They let him have the occasional big win while coming across as a weakling half the time. Maybe that's why he's not the big draw yet? While he's still super popular I'd say, "try a different tack" rather than "try a different person who's much less popular and hope things will maybe work out". It would be a more sensible and organic way to go about it. If it fails, Bryan's popularity would dwindle naturally and the crowd would be more ready to accept a Roman Reigns. Even if they're right and Reigns does have more money potential long term, WWE constantly telling their fans, "you don't want that guy, you want this guy!" is a problem when their whole business model is based on performing in front of 10,000 fans who have a serious influence on the show.

• Paid Members

They should of had Reigns return at the Rumble and Bryan return at Fast Lane. Firstly it would have avoided the predictable "Bryan didn't win" backlash and secondly Reigns wouldn't have been stinking up TV for weeks with his boring shitty feud with boring shitty Big Show and saying suffering succotash. Everyone would be jizzing in their pants for him like they used to.

LaGoosh, if they didn't have Bryan and Reigns, there'd have been 0 credible winners building the Rumble. When your top candidates are Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt, fans would know there's something else planned -- and if that something is anything other than Daniel Bryan, dummies are getting spat.

Personally I hate that argument. It runs on this logic that the way to create new fans is to show them something current fans don't like. It doesn't make sense. For me the answer is to listen to what the current fans want and try to build a better show around it.

But you're going on the assumption that "the current fans" = the people who cheer the internet darlings and boo Cena. And if that was really the measure of the current fanbase, Cena wouldn't be selling more tickets and t-shirts than those darlings. The fans who perpetually decide to buck against Vince and champion whichever workrate guy is being "buried" at any given moment are always going to be there and always going to complain about something or other. Vinnie Mac's getting their money either way.

• Paid Members

Maybe they see Bryan as the small guy in his mid-30s with a bad neck and his days of being pushed are over. Benoit and Mysterio never got the second run and Vince had to be convinced to put the belts on them (the old story goes Vince had the date Rey was losing the belt marked down and kept reminding creative). You have to wonder if he'll ever get the belt back now.

• Paid Members

LaGoosh, if they didn't have Bryan and Reigns, there'd have been 0 credible winners building the Rumble. When your top candidates are Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt, fans would know there's something else planned -- and if that something is anything other than Daniel Bryan, dummies are getting spat.

I would have still announced Reigns as returning at the Rumble. Just not had him stinking up TV for a month before hand.

Just had a look on the reddit wrestling forum and some of the threads are hilarious, (I hate Roman Reigns being the best) there's no hope of the spoiled little twats  not shitting all over poor Roman from now til Mania. They got their Bryan win last year, can they not understand that there's nobody else besides Reigns currently worth pushing as the future? Bryan's too knackered, and Ambrose, Ziggler, Cesaro and the rest of the indie lads who've been hanging around the midcard for the last few years are never going to cut it.

This is what pisses me off most about wrestling fans, 12 months ago they would have been happy for Reigns to win the belt, but now that wwe have gotten behind him and other than a few rotten promos, he's now public enemy no.1 and yet they'll be the first to complain that there are no new stars made.

Archived