The Relationship Thread

Ron&Hermione

• Paid Members

Another thing to bear in mind is that often people watch videos from opposing political viewpoints because they want to familiarise themselves with those opponents' arguments. The more you know about those arguments, the easier it is to research and counter. I do it once every so often - can't sharpen a knife without a whetstone to grind it - although I do find myself aging a lot quicker than I'd like because I end up getting so angry at the thought of these ideas actually having mainstream currency.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I do hope that's the case. Time will tell though, and I'll most likely use David's way of getting onto the subject when we're on a long drive. There's a trip planned for Shrewsbury soon, so that'll make for excellent talk on the way back home.

Edited by Accident Prone

14 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Yeah, I do hope that's the case. I don't think her brother watches those videos for that reason, as I think he's genuinely into some of those ideas. Time will tell though, and I'll most likely use David's way of getting onto the subject when we're on a long drive. There's a trip planned for Shrewsbury soon, so that'll make for excellent talk on the way back home.

How you approach it is key. While you don't want to accuse her, you have every right to let her know what upsets you, and she should react accordingly, especially if it's not something she's really invested in. If it was something that she considered important in her life then fair enough, you'd need to talk it out, but if she's just watching this shit "for a laugh" then she should have no issue just binning it if she knows it causes you anxiety or upset.

You're entirely in the right to let her know it bothers you.

On 5/6/2017 at 8:23 PM, theironshake said:

OK I'm in need of knowing if I'm a massive selfish  bellend or am I being OK? Tomorrow morning I go on holiday for 5 nights without my gf of three years. Now I'm not going on a lads bender or anything I'm going away with my dad who is 73 and has done more for me than anyone (except maybe my mum).we've done it every year except last year I love the bonding time with him and don't want to stop. My misses thinks I am a selfish arsehole for leaving her for 5 nights. And has insisted on letting me know this. Am I that bad for doing this? 

God knows what she would think of me, took myself away to New York/New Jersey for ten nights last month for Mania and in a couple off weeks I'm at Download Festival for 5 nights.  Didn't even take my Dad with me!!!

• Paid Members

Update on my missus listening to alt-right nut jobs; she's stopped listening to him as some of the stuff he was saying got really, really close to the bone with her. She said it became no longer fun to listen to this guy talk shit when he was saying horrendous stuff and people were agreeing with him. 

So a happy ending, but sad to know that fuckers like him exist.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Update on my missus listening to alt-right nut jobs; she's stopped listening to him as some of the stuff he was saying got really, really close to the bone with her. She said it became no longer fun to listen to this guy talk shit when he was saying horrendous stuff and people were agreeing with him. 

In this day and age, when we're constantly reminded that organic matter was wasted to create the likes of Paul Joseph Watson et al., I'd say it's a massive win to know that your partner really is a mensch, and that you chose well.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:22 AM, Accident Prone said:

In fairness they always have, it's just easier to notice them due to social media and the internet. In the past they were collectively known in towns all over the world as "that fucking idiot down the pub."

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Asking someone to be your girlfriend? I didn't realise you were still a teenager. You've done very well for yourself considering your age, you should be proud.

How does this sort of thing happen nowadays?

I remember when I first got with my ex, and after maybe a week, asking her to come and meet me friends, with the immortal words “Can I say they’ll be meeting my girlfriend?” and a rather weary response “Yeah, I guess”. That was it.

She still ribs me about it to this day.