RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

In other words : massive heartattack!

Looking at him on Raw he probably had a funny turn/felt bad that day & elected to shrug it off! Wouldnt surprise me if he worked out after en all. He seemed quite self damaging in that way:

In the gym at 4am working out for hours

Sleeping 3-4 hrs a night

Overtraining (he didnt believe it existed)

Ignoring dr's (had bicep re-attached, came home and started banging out reps on resistance bands that day

Massive intakes of coffee

+ the kind of character that just doesnt relax

(All the above proven by the way or admitted to)

Guess it caught up with him!

Also this should have no baring on Sting comeback. UW didnt pass during or post match! He'd wrestled 1 match in 16 years and only a few 91-96. This wasnt wrestling related!

Edited by JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

been reading this thread for the last half hour on my dinner break, its bringing back lots of great memories for me.

I think its hard to put into words what The Warrior meant to the fans who grew up watching during his inital WWF run. Just something very special about it all, i kind of hope it translates over to the newer fans but i dont think they understand how it was to grow up with that guy as your hero, truly larger than life.

Youtube's gonna take a hammering later.

• Paid Members

I'm still at a loss of words :( I always loved the Warrior! The 10 year old who thought he was amazing when i first saw him in 1991.The 12 year old who got very excited at wrestlemania 8 when he came back to the 15 year old in 96 who creamed his pants in 96 and again @17 in 98 when he made the I'll fated comebacks. I was so pleased to see him so happy with his two girls and wife on Saturday night. Rest in peace warrior my Childhood hero

• Paid Members

Totally stunned. I saw it on Twitter this morning but straight away thought it was rubbish- because of the timing of it. He'd just stepped into a WWE ring for the first time in what- 18 years? Just headlined the hall of fame and has had the industry lauding him for his career. Reminds me when Diana died in that sense- she was in the public eye so much at the time, front page most days, it didn't seem true.

Warrior was my absolute hero as a kid, like most WWF fans over here in the early 90s. I can't remember which wrestlers got me into wrestling, probably Hogan, Jake and Andre, but Warrior definitely kept me a fan. I had so many different coloured shoelaces so I could tie them to my arms as tassles.

I remember my best friend had a fancy dress party in 1991 I think and I wanted to go as Warrior, but so did he so my Mum said I needed to go as someone else as it was his party. So I ended up going as Bret Hart, and turned up to see the birthday boy dressed as the Stinger! Bastard! He deprived me of my true Warrior moment. One of the first tunes I learned on my keyboard was his theme, as well. Inspirational legend, truly one of a kind. R.I.P.

Edited by PunkStep

I watched him on RAW on SKY+ from the Monday night and thought to myself he didn't quite look right and my wife mentioned it looked similar to me when i was ill a few years ago in that he was shuffling around like he had a limp and looked scarlet red and exhausted even after a brief walk to the ring. I ended up l like that and totally unbeknown to me at the time it started with a blood clot in my calf which broke off and went into each of my lungs as a pulmonary embolism and almost killed me.

I didn't really give it a second thought at the time and put it down to nerves and the situation he was in but the more i think about it the more horrid it seems.

One blessing in all of this is that he finally looks to have made peace with himself and with the WWE. His speech at the HOF i thought was perfect; he didn't dwell too much on the past but at the same time he didn't sell himself short either in terms of what they tried to do in respect to burying his character and legacy.

He genuinely looked so happy and content in his life and all those backstage selfies and pictures with Vince, Hogan, etc really cement that. Hopefully his recent reconciliation with WWE means that his wife and kids are better protected financially than they would be had had not buried the hatchet. I've got a wee girl who is one next week and i haven't been able to get the image from the HOF ceremony of his two girls out of my head all day and they are waking up this morning without their daddy :(

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

• Moderators

Yeah, watching Raw again, he does really look to be suffering. It's almost as if he's gassed. He certainly got a bit darker with his pigmentation and was struggling with his breathing a little. Maybe the weekend was too much for him?

• Paid Members

Everyone else has said enough already, my words will neither be original nor interesting, but I'd like to say them anyway.

The saddest thing about the untimely passing of Warrior for me, beyond that a man has died leaving a wife without a husband and children without their daddy, is how unsurprised I was to hear of it. The images of a muscle-bound bloke working out well into his 50s and the sight of him in 2014 over the weekend made me fear that he may not have had long left. I've read some shock from people saying he looked "a picture of health" on Monday night ; I thought he made the walk down the aisle look strenuous, the same on Sunday night when he emerged on stage at WrestleMania. I woke up to two text messages from two of my oldest friends telling me he was gone, and while deeply saddened, I'd be lying if I said I was shocked.

I was never really an Ultimate Warrior fan growing up. I liked watching him, but he was never my guy. His match with Hogan at WrestleMania VI was one of the biggest factors in me becoming a wrestling fan, but even in that match, it was Hogan I cheered for. When all my friends were most into Warrior (and Tatanka and the Bulldog), for me it was always the Hitman (and Shawn and Macho Man). I never dressed up as Warrior - truth be told, I never dressed up as any wrestler - and even though I had all of his Hasbros, he was never a guy I'd snap up all his merchandise like I did my Hulk Hogan Bop Buddy or my Hitman shades. But I still enjoyed watching him, and the WWF didn't seem as good when he wasn't around.

In the intervening years I've appreciated him more and more. It always riles me to read the smarky bullshit about how he could only assemble a good match when he was "carried" to it by a perceived super worker like Rick Rude or Randy Savage. While those matches are indeed superb, one of his most dramatic matches bell-to-bell was the aforementioned Ultimate Challenge opposite the Hulkster, who similarly is attacked by workrate perverts for being a limited performer. Who carried who there, then? It's often said it takes two to tango, and on that night two guys that never needed to do a whole lot to get over and to make crowds go crazy, put together the masterclass in when to do your shit in order to achieve maximum reaction. For a fairly basic match, everything is executed well and timed to perfection, and for storytelling it's near perfection, and I'd watch it over any American match from the last five years or so any day of the week. It's probably my second favourite match of his, and while everyone else loves his career-ending match with the Macho King so much, it's very much Randy & Liz' story, so when I'm in the mood for Warrior at his best, it's the match with Ravishing Rick at SummerSlam '89 that I put on, for the combination of great action and satisfying ultimate victory.

And so, to today's sad news. The actions of the last few months - agreeing to work with the company again, helping knock out the DVD to finally tell his side of the story after we had their side for so many years, and taking his rightful place in the Hall of Fame - strike me now as those of a man making his peace and putting things right while he still had chance. I know with Bret and Bruno there has increasingly been that feeling developing among those of us that have been watching for a few decades that "they all come home in the end" but this was truly a special one, not just because of the seemingly-eternal acrimony between he and the company, Vince in particular, but because he was one of the ones a lot of us grew up with. As I said, that for a lot of us, the WWF seemed less interesting once he was gone. Furthermore, his words on Saturday night and especially on Monday night, gave me the impression of a man that knew he didn't have much time left. In essence the speech he gave on Monday at Raw sounded to me like "I'm glad what I did inspired so many of you, thank you and goodbye." I've never been sadder to be right about anything.

His mission is finally complete, the mother ship has come to collect the Warrior and head back up into the dark cloud, on its way back to Parts Unknown. Thanks for the memories, big Jim.

• Paid Members

I woke up to two messages, one from a friend who said that he had died and another from my brother about how our childhood hero had passed. My first wrestling experience (and later my brothers, as I played the tape to death) was Wrestlemania V, and despite not knowing anything about the Warrior before that point we instantly gravitated to him and took it as an outrage that Heenan cheated him out of the match with Rude (who my mum loved, naturally).

I had two favourite toys as a kid, my Michelangelo TMHT figure and my Ultimate Warrior plush doll. He was the closest thing my childhood had to a real life superhero, and I absolutely loved him for it. I thought he was hobbling and gassing on Raw, but then he was always out of breath due to being such a phenom. The timing of it is so surreal, but as so many others have said, it's good that he made peace. Watching his interview with the mask on during Raw, I was anticipating how the company could use him going forward, and now that won't happen. I hope to god it's a good crowd on Monday who give him the respect he deserves.

Before Bret became my hero, the colourful, energetic beast made me a wrestling fan for life. RIP Warrior, and godspeed.

Edited by KJHenley

When I heard about this I was stunned and couldn't believe it. He wasn't my favorite wrestler growing up but still liked the guy. My first wrestling T-shirt was a Warrior shirt and I remember being really excited when he ran in to save Hogan at WMVIII. Glad he made peace with everyone and got to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and was great to see him on Raw. Sad day for wrestling and my thoughts go out to his family. RIP Warrior.

• Paid Members

Just got done watching him on Raw from Monday and I know it's hindsight and everything but after he gets done shaking the ropes he looked like he could keel over right there. Fuck, it was hard to watch knowing what we know just three days later.

• Paid Members
The scene at the beginning where he addresses his daughters had me in pieces, to the point that I just had to go and hug my kids.

Yeah, I just rewatched his speech and that bit really hit home. Wow.