RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

His new DVD is out today. I'll be in town so was hoping to pick it up....will feel strange now. My Mum was in shock when I told her. She reminded me of some funny stories of me and my brother arguing over who could be Hogan and who would be Warrior.....to me, he wasn't just a superstar, he was a MEGAstar. Someone, like Hogan and The Rock, who was so much bigger than just a superstar. A real life living superhero. Not enough characters like him nowadays. Too much based in reality.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in shock. Literally just got off plane from New Orleans. Word just spread through everyone as we were picking up our luggage. For a split second I didn't believe it as there has been so many rumours in the past. Everyone saying the same, can't believe we saw him only on Monday. One lad got a photo with him at the airport, that must be one of the last times he was seen.

My thoughts go out to his 2 little girls & his wife, the way he spoke about them on stage you could see he thought the world of them, as any proud father should.

RIP Warrior.

Although he did look well, I did think at the time (WM & Raw) that physically he may have been ill. The way he walked, he seemed bandy & breathless, but didn't expect this. Also from his comments at HOF when he said no way would there be "One More Match" which shocked me because only a few years back I'm sure he stated if he returned to WWE he would like a WM match with Vince McMahon. It also wasn't that long ago he fought Orlando Jordan.

The fact they didn't show him enter the ring or him moving the ropes shows that something was wrong. Really sad either way.

• Paid Members

For FUCK sake.

It's actually become a running joke between a friend and I that we take pride in being the first to break the news of premature wrestler deaths, but this is horrendous news.

My post yesterday confirms that the return of Warrior to TV in however limited a capacity was probably the only thing these days which could have re-ignited my interest in wrestling so it's horrifying logging on here this morning to this.

Like so many others, Warrior WAS wrestling when i was growing up. With no Sky Sports, a friend used to record Superstars and Challenge for me and i'll never forget catching a glimpse of him on the opening credits and being absolutely blown away by the visual. Of course, it was some years later when i started getting my hands on VHS tapes before i got to see the big man in action, and to an uneducated child, this fucking specimen in his luminous get up was the most exciting thing i'd ever seen, sprinting to the ring like a maniac, rattling the ropes, signalling for the Gorilla Press.

One things for sure, gone, but not forgotten. My lad will know all about the Warrior when the time comes, and when his inevitable interest starts, i'll take great pride in spending time with him on YouTube and showing him the greatest hits.

I may even watch Firepower with Gary Daniels and Chad McQueen tonight in his honour.

RIP big fella.

Edited by John Matrix

Really sad news. One of the guys I really enjoyed as one of my favs of all time.

I really think WWE should stop selling the self destruction DVD and replace it with a positive version as heard they recorded interviews in a positive light. So would love to see that version.

RIP

His new DVD is out today. I'll be in town so was hoping to pick it up....will feel strange now. My Mum was in shock when I told her. She reminded me of some funny stories of me and my brother arguing over who could be Hogan and who would be Warrior.....to me, he wasn't just a superstar, he was a MEGAstar. Someone, like Hogan and The Rock, who was so much bigger than just a superstar. A real life living superhero. Not enough characters like him nowadays. Too much based in reality.

Yeah, i was looking to get it myself soon too.

Cant believe it myself. Feels like a piece of my childhood has gone

Warrior's final speech on Monday's Raw: "Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper than something that is larger than life, than his essence, his spirit will be immortalized. By the storytellers, by the loyalty, of those who honor him and make what that man did live forever. You, you, you, you, you are the legend-makers of Ultimate Warrior... I am Ultimate Warrior, you are the Ultimate Warrior fans, and the spirit of the Ultimate Warrior will run forever!"

Pretty intense speech considering whats happened now, i wonder if he knew his time was coming?

Although he did look well, I did think at the time (WM & Raw) that physically he may have been ill. The way he walked, he seemed bandy & breathless, but didn't expect this. Also from his comments at HOF when he said no way would there be "One More Match" which shocked me because only a few years back I'm sure he stated if he returned to WWE he would like a WM match with Vince McMahon. It also wasn't that long ago he fought Orlando Jordan.

The fact they didn't show him enter the ring or him moving the ropes shows that something was wrong. Really sad either way.

Just watched his promo off Raw back. They do keep cutting away from him, but it does show him enter the ring and shake the ropes briefly. Looking back at it, it makes me wonder if he has something wrong with his lungs, emphasemia or something. The way he's breathing and struggling to walk.

Did he take the UW trench coat from under the ring? Wonder why the didn't have him walk out with it already on, and face paint on.

• Paid Members

Very, very sad about this. I watched Raw just to see his promo. Seems pretty prophetic now, you have to figure he knew something was up.

WW36NoFrame.jpg

Just in total shock. To see him live on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then he dies on Tuesday. It's surreal and actually a little frightening. Looking back he did look a bit rough, especially on Raw. He was limping pretty badly, was very red and was sweating, but he said at the HOF that he always sweated a lot so I didn't think much of it.

Like everyone else I was a massive Warrior fan. I don't think you could create a better wrestler for kids than the Warrior. He genuinely was a super hero come to life and judging by the fact loads of mainstream news like the BBC and the Guardian are reporting on this you can see how big a star Warrior was.

Of course it's going to be tragic no matter what, but at least he made up with Vince and WWE. At least he got a chance to see how much the fans still loved him over the 3 days. For someone who was so protective of the warrior gimmick it must have meant a lot to see that.

Edited by digforvictory