RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

'Fuxake. What a way to bring you right down after a great 3 or 4 days :(

He was my favourite as a kid, which i guess makes him my favourite ever. Gutting.

Spookily, I was just thinking yesterday that there hadn't been many wrestling deaths this last few years, - it was brought on from reading some eejits wishing heart attacks on none other than the Warrior on the Wrestling Classics board.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I woke up this morning to find two texts. One from my 13 year old nephew and one from a mate. That was odd getting texts off them at around 6-7am. Read them and couldn't believe it. I'd have thought someone was playing a joke but for both to text the same thing, I had that sinking feeling in my stomach.

I've only just had chance to log on here and again, was still stupidly hoping it was some elaborate, shit and sick late April fools joke. But seeing the thread already at 8 pages confirmed what I already knew.

Really sad news. For starters, any bloke of 54 dying is sad enough. Then add in that he has two young daughters which makes it even worse. That alone is tragic enough.

Then the timing of it. That's what really makes the whole thing such a shock. If Warrior hadn't made up with WWE and we hadn't heard of him for a while, then we got this news, it'd still be a shock but not such a huge one. Wrestlers from the 80s dying young is something we've sadly had to get used to. But it's the fact that we saw him come back, do that awesome video game advert, go in the HOF, turn up at WrestleMania, then appear on Raw. Then the very next day he dies. It's unbelievable. It sounds overly dramatic but if he was in this bad a state he could just as easily have collapsed on the stage at the HOF or at WrestleMania. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Warrior was brilliant. He was my first favourite wrestler. My first Hasbro. My first Coliseum video was SummerSlam 89 where he beat Rick Rude in a great match and he was my favourite from that moment. I had that big talking Warrior figure ("FEEL THE POWER OF THE WARRIOR"). I even had a Warrior dress up thing when I was about 6 or 7. It had tassels for the arms, (I think) some cheapo face paint and a white shirt with Warrior's rippling abs on the front. Gay as fuck looking back now, but I didn't care at the time. I thought I looked like the Warrior.

I even remember my Dad coming in from work one night with the Hulkamania forever video. This was right when I was first getting into wrestling, at this point I was only used to seeing Goodies vs Baddies. So when I looked at the back to see that there was a Hogan vs Warrior match on the tape I couldn't contain my excitement. I didn't know it even happened or who won or anything. I went mental when Warrior won. And I liked Hogan, but I was a Warrior kid. He was right up there with Batman, Spiderman, Bruce Lee, Turtles, Arnie, Robocop, Nigel Benn and Shadow off Gladiators for me. They were mystical, unbeatable superheroes to me when I was a kid.

I must've watched that Hogan vs Warrior match at least 100 times during my childhood, no exaggeration. I used to get up early to get to the video first. And that would be it for the day. My poor Mom would miss Corrie and Brookside and everything. Just a wonderful loop of Warrior vs Hogan, Enter the Dragon, stop for dinner, then Warrior vs Hogan again, maybe some Turtles or Count Duckula or something, then I might stop to recreate Warrior vs Hogan with my Hasbros for 10 minutes, then I'd watch SummerSlam 89 before bed. And the whole time I wouldn't be just sitting watching quietly. I'd be jumping around wrestling in the front room. Jumping off sofas and running into the garden shaking the washing line pretending I was Warrior. I don't know how my parents didn't give me away.

I've gone on way longer than I meant to. Just gutting news. Ian summed it up perfectly. For people of a certain age on here (probably late 20s-early 30s) a bit of your childhood dies. It was the same with Savage and it will be the same when Hogan goes.

RIP.

• Paid Members

Spot on piece as usual. Its amazing how pretty much everyone in this thread has the same memory of seeing these characters for the first time. I never saw the first WrestleMania as it happened, I never saw Hogan slam Andre, but my first memories were Warrior and Hogan. That match where the two muscle bound Gods collided. Austin and Rock was just two blokes wrestling. Warrior and Hogan both had their own religion, with their own band of followers. You could see Rock as a superstar athlete who lived in a big mansion and Austin was a hard case who drank beer and enjoyed hunting. I used to struggle imagining Hogan and Warrior having a daily routine. It was like they fell from the sky or something. Even now, seeing a new picture of a paintless Warrior in his denim jacket from the 80s and 90s gets me excited. Like I've seen Batman with his mask off.

As much as I love and have loved wrestling, its all based on getting into it and me hunting for that same feeling (which I occasionally still get). But I dont know if I'd have got into wrestling ever, if it wasn't for the Warrior's painted face, Hogan's red and yellow shirt, Savage's jackets and hats, the Boss Man in his police uniform, the pink and black Hart Foundation, the funeral parlour with Undertaker and Paul Bearer, Jake Roberts and his snake, the union jack cape of Davey Boy Smith and all those other massive larger than life gimmicks. 1989-1992 I could watch over and over again without getting tired. And it seems like that's the story for so many people. We all saw them, we all wanted to be them. We tied the shoe laces around our arms, we shook the radiator like the ropes, we rented the VHS tapes at the video shop, we bought the hasbros, we collected the stickers, we wrestled with our mates in the garden, we spent our pocket money on the WrestleFest game. Its harder for fans when the likes of Savage and Warrior die. As strange as this is to say, they were different to everyone else. I could never have imagined Hogan, Warrior or Savage dying. Even though Warrior cut his hair, I've seen Hulk Hogan's cock and Randy Savage looked like Uncle Albert before he died, there's something in the back of my mind that tells them those guys are immortal. I must have just kept that mentality after years of worshiping them.

It goes back to the person who said a piece of your childhood died with them. The Ultimate Warrior was so much of my childhood. He was so much of my teen years as well. I used to love going to see what he was up to when we first got the internet. It was great to discover he was a human version of the character. Much like Savage and Hogan. Warrior was a intense, rambling and all pumped up in real life. Hogan was attention seeking, colourful and knew the right things to say to get himself over in real life. And Savage was just as crazy, paranoid and over the top as he was on screen to. All three have huge flaws, all three are complete mentals, yet all three personalities are the reason why their characters resonated with us all.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

There's not much I can add to what's already been said about him, and not just because it's already been said, but because I didn't actually see much of him when I was young.

We didn't have Sky, so any wrestling I saw would either be when I was at a friend's house, or they'd record some episodes for me. Warrior disappeared soon after I started watching and didn't return until WM8, but he was still the guy I'd pick to be when playing the arcade game, he was still somehow my "favourite", and he was still who I considered the personification of the American wrestler. Hogan may have been bigger, but Warrior was just ridiculously muscular. He had cooler hair than Savage, better facepaint than Demolition, and was just everything a sugar-rushing kid wanted in an onscreen superhero.

His persona was so much bigger than is person, which is why in my mind's eye he still has his wonderfully back-combed hair, just as Savage still had a thick black beard right up until the end.

• Paid Members

I know meself and Astro have clashed in the past, but have to credit him with being a top bloke with some wonderful writing. Thoroughly endearing piece, as always boss. Great stuff.

Completely echo Ian's sentiments and that's a superb pic there Dirty Eddie!

Shit day all round really.

• Paid Members

Sorry if these have already been posted.

Hulk Hogan

"RIP WARRIOR. only love. HH"

Jake Roberts

"Deeply saddened. We just had a great talk & buried a senseless hatchet. RIP Warrior. Taking solace we made peace."

Kevin Nash

"So happy I embraced Warrior with a hug when we saw each other backstage Saturday night.My heart goes out to his family.Always Believe."

Scott Hall

"RIP @UltimateWarrior

Of the people inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame 2014 the smart money was on me and Jake checking out first....NOT the Warrior. RIP #BROTHER"

The Rock

"Loss always has a way of reminding us to live and love as greatly as we can. My prayers and strength to his family. RIP Ultimate Warrior"

Vince McMahon

"We are all so sad that the Ultimate Warrior has passed away. Our heart is with his wife Dana and his two daughters."

Chris Jericho

"Devastated to hear of the passing of @UltimateWarrior. He was a childhood hero of mine & he vs @HulkHogan WM6 is still one of the best ever

If you were a WWF fan in the late 80s this man was GOD. His heavy metal hair, off the charts..."

Batista

"After all these years I finally got 2 tell him that me shaking the ropes was an homage 2 him. Blessed to have had that moment."

Jesse Ventura

"The Ultimate Warrior was a great man and a tremendous athlete. Rest in peace, my friend."

BkqnaCqIEAAuaIi.jpg

Edited by wandshogun09

Im sitting here on a bus back from town and just found out the news on twitter. Fighting hard not to cry, Warrior was one of my heros growing up and im devastated hes gone. Hard to believe only 3 days ago he got inducted to ye HOF, two since he was on Raw cutting a promo and now this. R.I.P Warrior and thank you for the memories