The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Fair play to Edge and Orton, what an incredible close to Raw. That was proper intense 80s style heat there. Amazing. That has to be the most likeable Edge has ever been as a babyface and some of Orton’s best work all round. Hell, that might be the performance of Orton’s career. Genuinely touching  at the beginning when he embraced Edge and teased the Rated RKO return. Crowd went mental for that. I was well up for them teaming after that and I generally couldn’t give a shit about either, so I was gutted when Orton had to Orton it. Randy’s only gotten better over the years at the sleazy psychotic scumbag thing. He’s nowhere near as hammy or contrived as he used to be. This was rotten to watch in the best way. Have to disagree with @Supremo on this one. Him changing his mind about the Pillmanizer, only to run back into the ringside area to grab a couple more chairs was a thrilling little moment. It gave the angle an unexpected feeling of spontaneity and disorder and just highlighted what a rotten shit Randy is. Seriously, when was the last time you heard that kind of heat in a WWE angle? That kind of dread? Only thing missing was some babyface scrubs coming out in the scramble as the show went off air. Great work from Edge too, you were there with him when his eyes welled up and he was left looking like a raggy doll on the mat.

Drew making the challenge was a good start for his road to Mania. He isn’t there yet, maybe cut back on the kip ups and the silly post-match spot where he raises his arms with the ref. Let him have some more work-rate sprints to get over the claymore, instead of him ‘burying’ tag teams and inviting the inevitable smark backlash. He’s so fucking smooth on the mic, too. Refreshing to see Brock jump him in his street clothes minus the entrance music cue.

Joe and Owens are endlessly entertaining in their current roles. Funny segment as they continue to be he smartest babyfaces in the company. The tag match actually got better once poor Joe went out injured. This ‘Monday Night Messiah’ thing ain’t quite hitting the mark for me, though, and it already feels like it’s lost steam. Seth’s fine as the hatable goof but he’s not the talker to get a stable over. Shame Heyman is out of the picture, someone like him would be perfect as their mouthpiece. Also, change up Buddy’s fucking gear already. 

Humberto’s never getting over on his own. Waiting for them to see sense and bring in Angel Garza as his tag partner and let him season. We’re long overdue a blowjob babyface tag team in WWE.

Zelina Vega is tremendous.

They really don’t have a pay off in mind for this cage gimmick do they? I like the guy, but I don’t get the point to Eric Rowan now that he’s been chumped and out-monstered by Brock Lesnar.

Speaking of losers, how long until the latest Mojo Rawley push is abandoned? I quite like the guy. Terrible ring gear, but good size and cuts a hell of a promo. He could freshen up the 24/7 shit for a bit. I give it three weeks.

Good show again. Wish they’d bring back Akira Tozawa and Eric Young though. Great undercard guys.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

5 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Let him have some more work-rate sprints to get over the claymore

Other than Seth Rollins, who is there for him to do that with, though? If the goal is to keep him standing out from the pack and solidify him above the midcard, a 20-minute competitive match with someone like Murphy/Andrade/AJ - who'll be having the same 20-minute competitive matches with Humberto and Ricochet every other week - isn't a great plan. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Drew making the challenge was a good start for his road to Mania. He isn’t there yet, maybe cut back on the kip ups and the silly post-match spot where he raises his arms with the ref. 

I have to say, I noticed his Kip Ups are awful. He can just barely do them (pretty much like I can’t do them anymore either). Every time it looks like he’s going to fall back. He should definitely cut it out before he botched it. Don’t mind the ref thing though

It's just a shame that Drew is doing any of that nonsense, nobody wants to see him do a kip up or that ridiculous arm raise with the ref.

Why can't we just have one babyface that is a bit of a hardcase that doesn't pander to the crowd? Drew has such a perfect look for it, and is actually good on the mic until he gets all smiley.

He'll be back to getting lukewarm reactions the closer we get to Mania IMO.

As soon as he started crying because he won the Rumble, like it's fucking Miss America, his goose was cooked. "Pinch me, I've been in a dream for 24 hours".

Translated - this station is above me, I'm not a star and I've found myself in a star spot and I don't believe it.

Imagine if Austin wept after he won at Mania 14. "Oh my, this might be the bottom line, but I can't tell, you'll have to pinch me, this is my dreeeammm".

• Paid Members

I get that he's not been a baby that long and they don't want him to come out and cut an arrogant promo but they just don't write babyfaces well. Even when, on the same show, Becky lynch cuts a complete heel promo and gets cheered massively, they don't see that people want a babyface who just doesn't give a fuck. There's plenty of time to get there but I get the trepedation. They cooled Rollins and Lynch massively last year in the period up to Mania.

Part of me would like to see them write out Drew for two months to avoid damage. Have Lesnar injure him - a believable sports injury, not vaguely being thrown threw a padded stage or something. Then have weekly vignettes of him rehabbing. Promos from the Gym, doctor setting a 6 month recovery schedule, McIntyre refusing to believe it, Lesnar boasting about having no-one to face. Even promote a #1 contenders battle Royal for the last Raw before Mania. Then do the "I'm ready" angle.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

As soon as he started crying because he won the Rumble, like it's fucking Miss America, his goose was cooked. "Pinch me, I've been in a dream for 24 hours".

Translated - this station is above me, I'm not a star and I've found myself in a star spot and I don't believe it.

Imagine if Austin wept after he won at Mania 14. "Oh my, this might be the bottom line, but I can't tell, you'll have to pinch me, this is my dreeeammm".

Well, I disagree with that. His character is not the same as Austin's who was trying to fight the boss, being held down by THE MAN. Drew has been very open about his dreams and what it's taken to get there. If you are going to compare him with anyone in that regard, it's Shawn Michaels winning the rumble leading up to the Iron Man match.  

Fair enough on the point of him being open, but I find it tough to swallow in that he was a badass heel for a couple of years until four weeks ago. Now he's crying because his dreams came true and we're supposed to give a shit and feel empathy because he beat up the conga line, it's too far a bridge to cross. There's a lot about what they did at the Rumble that was really good, but Drew needs to be more Austin than Michaels for this to work.  

• Paid Members

I don't get why he can't just be the same character, but now he's directing it at heels? This is the problem with scripted promos over bullet points. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I don't get why he can't just be the same character, but now he's directing it at heels? This is the problem with scripted promos over bullet points. 

He was a shit character before. That's not the answer here.