DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Is there any way to get subtitles files for films?

I've just downloaded Silenced, the 2011 film from Hong Kong, and it's listed as having English subs but once I've got it it's just in it's normal audio. I would import on DVD, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere for less than  3 figures

www.opensubtitles.org

That's what I've been using for years now.

Joker - Yes it’s a masterpiece. Todd Phillips’s masterpiece. He won’t ever make a better film than this. His best is very very average though. Phoenix is his usual brilliant self of course and he elevated it to an average film. One great performance does not a great film make. However...

Lady Bird - Is a great film. Ronan and Metcalf are a superb mother daughter combo but the beautifully understated turn from Tracy Letts is the anchor that allows this film to explore without losing itself. He used to be the awful careerist Lockhart in Homeland but I always smile when he appears in a film these days. Such a great actor. 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Lady Bird - Is a great film. Ronan and Metcalf are a superb mother daughter combo but the beautifully understated turn from Tracy Letts is the anchor that allows this film to explore without losing itself. He used to be the awful careerist Lockhart in Homeland but I always smile when he appears in a film these days. Such a great actor. 

I saw Lady Bird in the nicest cinema I’ve ever been in, which is located inside Shepperton Studios and I thought that may have clouded my judgement but I rewatched it today and it is indeed superb.

Clueless

Still an absolute belter and my 10yo loved it too. Rolling with the homies indeed.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, he's fantastic. A great character actor and playwright, what a great combination. Killer Joe, August: Osage County and especially Bug are all excellent films based on his work too.

Plus he's married to Carrie Coon, who's also lovely and splendid, good on him.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

The King - Overlong and plodding yet still I adored it, from the cinematography to the excellent acting from everyone involved. Robert Pattinson's slightly OTT French accent somehow worked perfectly and has some of the funniest scenes I've seen in a long time. Timothée had already won me over previously but he's superb here too.

• Members

Late Night

Will you like this film? That depends on whether you like Mindy Kaling or not in all honesty.

She plays an aspiring comedian who joins a staff of writers for a late night talk show hosted by Emma Thompson (who is incredibly sexy in this rocking a blonde short hair do. She’s 60 you know)

Its all a bit heavy handed with the WE SHOULD BE DIVERSIFYING bits but ultimately it’s quite sweet and the relationship between Kaling and Thompson is nice and it zipped by.

• Paid Members

I think Uncut Gems might be the most stressful  film I've ever seen. Not to say it's not good just that spending that  much time with that character blimey. Frighteningly it really feels like there are actually  people out there like that.

• Paid Members

High Life

Not as terrible as I expected, plus Juliette Binoche in a nurse uniform.

The Lighthouse

Absolutely worth the ridiculously long wait for it over here. Willem Dafoe is an absolute treasure and it was nice to see Robert Pattinson in something good at last (although High Life was alright). If you liked it, it's well worth searching out a Russian film called How I Ended This Summer which, while not as completely barmy, has some similar themes. Great film - and on YouTube too.

I'm likely to be in the minority here, but I found Uncut Gems to be a very dull affair. 

I'm not seeing the attraction at all. It was just a lot unlikeable characters shouting and talking over each other, accompanied by an incredibly irritating musical score. 

It wasn't awful, just very meh.