DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

ITV is showing The Pledge at 10:35 tonight and you should all watch it because it's absolutely amazing. It's also got an incredibly sad ending so be warned. It's well worth it, though.

• Awards Moderator

Went to see Jurassic Park at the IMAX tonight. The 3D, as you'd expect, adds nothing, but if that's the price to pay to see Jurassic Park on a giant screen, so be it. If you like Jurassic Park, you owe it to yourself to take the opportunity to see it on as massive a screen as you can while it's showing. The T-Rex and raptor attacks are as terrifying as the first time you've seen them, and the 'welcome to Jurassic Park' scene that I and a few others on here mentioned as our favourite film scene ever is... Well, if you love it as much as I do you'll get goosebumps everywhere and a lump in your throat watching it on the big screen.

Fuck, I love Jurassic Park.

Oh, also saw Kick Ass 2 the other night. It was alright.

Had a day of films yesterday. I watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home on Channel 4, hadnt seen it in ages, enjoyable fluff even if the enviromental message is clumsy. No whales equates to death apparently. Scotty's talking to the computer is alwas fun, "How Quaint"

2nd up was Red Tails, I'd been wanting to see this for ages, and it was pretty good. It's no serious look into the Tuskagee Airmen, and is full of walking cliches and horrible dialogue, however treated as a 'matinee picture it works. The the action is fantastic, even if everything is shiny and War has never looked so clean. David Oyelowo is great as 'Lightening' and his wife to be in the film Daniela Ruah, is easy on the eye. Enjoyed it.

Finally, I rewatched The Deer Hunter for the first time in about 15 years. Fantastic film,the wedding does drag on a bit, but is important in establishing relationships and setting up for what is to come. Walken and DeNiro and Cazale are mesmeric and Meryl Streep is also great in a small role. The Russian Roulette scenes still shock and it remains great from start to finish.

• Paid Members

I watched Dredd last night. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have done, you understand, but I'm quite glad that I did as it was pretty good. Not as good as most people have said but still a pretty good actioner. It still had a couple of bits in it they should have explained rather than just expect you to know the comics but I still enjoyed it.

• Paid Members

First wavering review i've heard of Dredd, but i'll take that given our similar views on comic book adaptations. It's slowly dropping in price, a fiver on DVD the last time i saw it. Another quid and i'll be tempted to take a punt.

Anyway, as posted incorrectly in the other thread...

So I went and saw 2 Guns on Monday. Very rare these days that I

• Paid Members
First wavering review i've heard of Dredd, but i'll take that given our similar views on comic book adaptations. It's slowly dropping in price, a fiver on DVD the last time i saw it. Another quid and i'll be tempted to take a punt.

I was more bothered by the arseing around with slow-motion that they overdose on, in fairness, plus it seemed a bit rushed in places. A solid 7/10 from me, though.

I really enjoyed Dredd. At first, I thought that the slow-motion stuff would be annoying as it was clearly a tool to use the 3-D technology in the cinema, but it does work in the context of the film too showing the effects of the drug. Plus the story is straight forward: Dredd gets caught in a building with a tonne of baddies trying to find him and kill him, he has to get out while his rookie sidekick has a scrap with Avon Barksdale. Simple premise, loads of fun

• Paid Members
I really enjoyed Dredd. At first, I thought that the slow-motion stuff would be annoying as it was clearly a tool to use the 3-D technology in the cinema, but it does work in the context of the film too showing the effects of the drug.

It works the first time they do it. The fourth time? Not so much.

I really enjoyed Dredd. At first, I thought that the slow-motion stuff would be annoying as it was clearly a tool to use the 3-D technology in the cinema, but it does work in the context of the film too showing the effects of the drug.

It works the first time they do it. The fourth time? Not so much.

I get what you mean, I was just saying I didn't mind it so much as there was a context for it to exist rather than just slowing the film down for no reason at all and going all Matrix-like

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Yeah, it felt like them trying to crowbar in a 3D effect they liked, too many times. It's probably less tiresome in 3D, but not on my telly. It's a solid film, though. Also a nice change from some of the other comic book flicks of recent times.

I watched Cape Fear (90s version) last night for the first time in over a decade. At times it feels a bit too over stylized, but it features some cracking performances. I also completely forgot that Gregory Peck turns up in it; a nice treat. That scene where Max Cady meets with Danielle at the school is genuinely unsettling.