DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I thought it was terrible. I can't for the life of me think what Marshall was doing following up The Descent with THAT. The cast is dreadful as well - Rhona Mitra as the lead? Fucking hell.

Adrian Lester, hammed it up quite spectacularly as the 2nd in command to whatever Rhona Mitra's character was called, Eden? (or some such daftness?) and the poor, poor bunny rabbit, el splat!. It was on Syfy, hardly the biggest indicator of it being great. Totally agree with you on the director thing, Iwas expecting Paul W S Anderson to be involved somewhere along the lines, was shocked when it was Neil Marshall who directed.

• Moderators

Marshall exposed himself with that. Everyone thought he'd be the savior of horror (whatever that would entail), but it's all been downhill since Dog Soldiers, and Doomsday was where the emperor's cock was flapping all over the place. It's another example of someone doing good work when they've got all the reined-in restrictions of a first or second movie and a low budget, but with the freedom to put the whole of their creative vision out there, it's obvious that they're just not very good.

And before anyone brings up Blackwater in defence of his downhill slide, he was brought on as an 11th hour replacement director-for-hire, so do one.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Centurion was absolutely dreadful also. I love Fassbender, and although he was good in this, it was a poorly made movie with no direction. Plus, I pretty much hate anything Noel Clarke attaches himself to and he removes me from a movie I'm watching whenever his face shows up.

Last night I saw Kick Ass 2. More of the same, and a lot of fun. The shape Aaron Johnson has got himself into is comparable with - and probably better than - Pitt's Tyler Durden.

Jim Carrey is actually really good in it, and it's a shame he wouldn't back the movie because it looks like he's having the time of his life.

It's a fair bit darker than it's predecessor and there's a few moments that some would probably find uncomfortable, but yeah, good solid 3 out of 5 entertainment.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Union J are in it too which is fucking bizarre

Last night I saw Kick Ass 2. More of the same, and a lot of fun. The shape Aaron Johnson has got himself into is comparable with - and probably better than - Pitt's Tyler Durden.

Jim Carrey is actually really good in it, and it's a shame he wouldn't back the movie because it looks like he's having the time of his life.

It's a fair bit darker than it's predecessor and there's a few moments that some would probably find uncomfortable, but yeah, good solid 3 out of 5 entertainment.

Saw Kick Ass 2 tonight and I agree it is lots of fun. While not as great as the first film it is still really worth checking out if you are a fan of the original. There is good action and humour and just enough small changes from the comic. For anyone going to see it there is something after the credits, but you have to sit through the whole lists of credits to get to it.

Saw Alan Partridge Alpha Papa last night. If you are a fan of Alan Partiridge then there is a lot to like about the film, it is very funny and it's the best comedy of the year for me.

• Paid Members

Watched Ghoulies last night - I'd seen the first sequel many, many years ago - I'm sure I wasn't even 10 at that point, and I remember enjoying it. However, this thing was a really painful waste of my night. It wasn't bad-good, it was just evil. Just about the only thing worth watching for was Michael Des Barres' hambone acting. The puppets get a special award for being embarrassingly bad.

• Paid Members

Just seem Olympus Has Fallen ( think it was Branquey who recommended on its release) . About as close to the mindless 80s Arnie/Sly films as anyone has got in the last few years. Great, Brainless and very violent.

As mentioned in the foreign ponce thread, I watched "The Skin I Live In". There is no gore or anything but fuck me, what a disturbing film. Brilliantly put together although I did fear for Almodavar's mind at some points.

Watched The Conjuring last night. It was very meh. Some nice shocks, but was so formulaic and dull for the most part. Sure Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston were great in their roles as harrangued (sp?) family heads, but it just didnt click and there was an element of seen it all before. Maybe great if you like that kind of thing, but certainly not my cup of tea

Watched The Conjuring last night. It was very meh. Some nice shocks, but was so formulaic and dull for the most part. Sure Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston were great in their roles as harrangued (sp?) family heads, but it just didnt click and there was an element of seen it all before. Maybe great if you like that kind of thing, but certainly not my cup of tea

I saw this the other week too, I thought it was all right overall, though I do tend to over rate films I see at the pictures due to simply enjoying the experience of being there.

On the subject of minimal gore, ghosty horror, I also saw Sinister on Friday. I actually quite enjoyed it. I'd kind of written off that genre based on some poor / boring entries I'd seen as a gore hungry teenager. For what it was, I thought Sinister delivered a pretty damn entertaining film.

Starting watching The Good German but gave up after about 15 minutes as it seemed surprisingly shite. I think Tobey Maguire might be my least favourite actor. Something about him seems really artificial, and he seemed terribly miscast in this.

Watched Coffee Town. Dennis from It's Always Sunny is mates with Stevie from Eastbound & Down, and they hang about a coffee shop that's in danger of being turned into a bistro unless they do something. Also stars Josh Groban and Jean-Ralphio. It's not brilliant, but it's okay. One or two big laughs, and it's never far from raising a smile. Dennis isn't that good at playing a guy who isn't Dennis. Stevie plays Stevie.

• Paid Members

Memento isn't very interesting, is it? Guy Pearce's character is crap. It should have just been Carrie Anne Moss and Joey Pants, and in the right order as well. Nice to see the bird from CSI in it, though.