DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I don't know if I'm imagining things here, but wasn't there someone on here who had an almost psychopathic hatred of Punch-Drunk Love? Show yourself now so I can put you on ignore - it's one of the best films I've seen for years. There wasn't a thing about it I didn't love - until it finished and I realised how much like Barry I am :(

• Paid Members
I don't know if I'm imagining things here, but wasn't there someone on here who had an almost psychopathic hatred of Punch-Drunk Love? Show yourself now so I can put you on ignore - it's one of the best films I've seen for years. There wasn't a thing about it I didn't love - until it finished and I realised how much like Barry I am :(

If I hadn't seen the film I'd still despise Adam Sandler. It's such a beautiful film and I loved the colours used for particular scenes as the story develops. A similar film worth a look is the Station Agent which Id never heard of till I caught an episode online of Dinner for Five with Peter Dinklage in which they were raving about it.

Edited by niff

• Paid Members

I hate Punch Drunk Love but I don't think i'm the man your looking for. I gave Sandlers more serious stuff a look with Reign Over Me which I thought was great, Sandler and Cheadle were both excellent but I thought Punch Drunk Love was a load of old shite, an alright story badly executed and poorly acted.

• Paid Members
Anyone know the name of the 80s rock song towards the end of the Alan Partridge film when...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Alan and Pat are doing their show on the roadshow bus

Full soundtrack is up on Spotify. Don't want to link to it. Might have spoilers.

• Paid Members
I hate Punch Drunk Love but I don't think i'm the man your looking for. I gave Sandlers more serious stuff a look with Reign Over Me which I thought was great, Sandler and Cheadle were both excellent but I thought Punch Drunk Love was a load of old shite, an alright story badly executed and poorly acted.

Your taste is now going on my shitlist. It's been a long time coming. Emily Watson is an absolutely amazing actress.

niff - I've seen The Station Agent and it's a cracking film.

• Moderators

I haven't seen The Guard but he's been pretty shit in everything I've seen him in, which includes Ocean's Eleven in which he was amazingly especially fucking awful.

He was actually maybe OK in the latest Iron Man movie, because they made his character a total fucking wet chump, which is what he is.

• Paid Members

Most of his films I wouldn't be interested in at all but I haven't seen stuff like Hotel Rwanda and Boogie Nights so the jury's out.

EDIT - Actually, just looked down his filmography. He was fantastic in Devil In A Blue Dress, really good in Hamburger Hill and Colors, and I remember liking him in Out Of Sight as well. Have you seen any of these? They're all superb films as well.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I thought i'd be already on it Gladders but I readily admit my taste is ropey at best. Cheadle is good in Reign Over Me as the more straight character trying to help Sandler through a breakdown via friendship/just being there, I didn't think much of the 9/11 premise but it's a film with alot of heart.