DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Finished Twin Peaks with the missus last night. Not a fucking clue what happened at the end to be honest. Whatever it was it was absolutely fantastic though.

The last episode is a belter isn't it? The show goes so off the rails prior but when getting friends to watch it I always recommend they stick with as the finale is one of the best episodes and you kinda need the context of the previous stuff.

Spoiler for the TV series

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

As with most of Lynch's stuff it's open to interpretation (and I wouldn't have it any other way). But when describing the Black Lodge Deputy Hawke says this:

"the shadow-self of the White Lodge. The legend says that every spirit must pass through there on the way to perfection. There, you will meet your own shadow self. My people call it 'The Dweller on the Threshold' ... But it is said, if you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul.

Cooper was faced with assorted spirits in particular reliving what happened in Philadelphia with Caroline. When faced with his shadow self he shows 'imperfect courage' (runs away) and ends up either 1) Possessed by BOB or 2) The evil shadow self escapes in his place. Either way it seemed like it was setting up the big season three storyline of EvilCoop

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Spoiler for the film

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Film suggests the latter, when Laura sees Annie in her bed Annie explains that the good Dale is still in the Black Lodge. The film also kind of suggests Cooper needed to be in the lodge to help and comfort Laura Palmer immediately after she died (lets not ponder too much about how the timing of that works - the show already established the Lodge doesn't follow normal time as Cooper and Laura's shared dream takes place before and after her death.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members
Memento isn't very interesting, is it?

Agreed, a bit like Inception another Nolan film, I just found it needlessly over complicated. I gave up on Memento half way through as I could just not get into it.

It was just pretty dull. Guy Pearce wasn't very good in it. Carrie-Anne Moss made up for The Matrix, though, she was excellent. I've only not seen The Prestige from Nolan that isn't a Batman film now so that one better be good or he can fuck off forever.

After someone mentioned/recommended that Film 4 Studio Ghibli marathon a few months back, I recorded a load of them, and started watching them yesterday. My plan is to watch them in date order, which means I started with The Castle of Cagliostro. Bear in mind that I havent watched any of these sort of films before. This was from 1979, so I assume the more recent films I watch will improve on the visuals. That said, this was still a lot of fun. It has a pretty basic story, and I was slightly creeped out by the relationship between the princess and the "boss" (until the end, when he left her there). Solid stuff.

Memento isn't very interesting, is it?

Agreed, a bit like Inception another Nolan film, I just found it needlessly over complicated. I gave up on Memento half way through as I could just not get into it.

It was just pretty dull. Guy Pearce wasn't very good in it. Carrie-Anne Moss made up for The Matrix, though, she was excellent. I've only not seen The Prestige from Nolan that isn't a Batman film now so that one better be good or he can fuck off forever.

I enjoyed the Prestige, it was the only Nolan film that got recommended to me that I felt was not overrated. It does have its critics though, which I will not go into at risk of spoiling the film for you.

Gladders, The Prestige will just annoy you, I suspect, if you didn't enjoy Memento. Nolan loves his "high concepts". I've got a bit of a soft spot for it, mainly due to Bowie, plus I'm a sucker for magic all up in this bitch.

• Paid Members

I loved Memento the first time I saw it, which was well over ten years ago I think. I thought it was pretty brilliant at the time actually. I watched it again for the first time since the first time last year and it hasn't aged well at all. Didn't think much of it at all second go around. I loved The Prestige though.

• Awards Moderator

I loved The Prestige too. I hadn't heard of it before it was on Sky, but caught it on that and watched it about four times during its week on Premiere, then went and bought the DVD. Haven't rewatched it for a few years but it's far and away my favourite Nolan film.

However, Loki's right, it probably will just annoy you. On the other hand, Bowie...

• Paid Members

I actually fancy The Illusionist more. Might do a double-bill tonight. The dialogue in Memento was pretty crap as well, it always seems stilted and awkward in his films.