DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

That's so true chest, another thing he can't do is have women in his films have any sex appeal whatsoever.

Yes, because that what female characters in films should all have.

It's like Steve Jobs is Mulvey's wet dream with that isnt it? Male Gaze or bust for Jobs!

I don't think he implied that at all. But Catwoman should, it's part of the character. And he clearly tried - it's not like he was making some bold intentional statement. He just failed.

Anne Hathaway is like Alan Shearer without the charisma, to be fair.

• Paid Members

I understand what Randall Jobs is trying to say in his usual clumsy way, it's something I've noticed in Nolan's films - he deliberately downplays the sexuality of his female characters, which is of course his choice and it's certainly a refreshing approach to female characters in Hollywood blockbusters. But obviously there are cases, like with Catwoman, where such qualities are sort of necessary. Nolan does seem extremely inflexible from what I've seen of his work.

• Paid Members
I understand what Randall Jobs is trying to say in his usual clumsy way, it's something I've noticed in Nolan's films - he deliberately downplays the sexuality of his female characters, which is of course his choice and it's certainly a refreshing approach to female characters in Hollywood blockbusters. But obviously there are cases, like with Catwoman, where such qualities are sort of necessary. Nolan does seem extremely inflexible from what I've seen of his work.

How do you know it's deliberate? I think maybe like Chest said he just doesn't understand people, he can't do dialogue or sexiness, just TWISTS!!! and plot holes.

I don't want people to think I'm some leering sexist that wants every film to be like a Russ Meyer or Andy Sidaris film because I'm really not, I just noticed that no women are ever sexy in any Chris Nolan film (including Catwoman who really should be)

I don't want people to think I'm some leering sexist that wants every film to be like a Russ Meyer or Andy Sidaris film because I'm really not,

We know that, Steve. A real one would have Kelly Kelly pissing in a sink as a sig, or start a thread about Hotties back in the day.

• Paid Members

I know we have alot of 12 Angry Men fans on here so I thought i'd recommend a film I watched earlier The Ox-Bow Incident, it also stars Henry Fonda and covers much of the same themes. It was released in 1943 and really is a must see. Superb film.

• Paid Members

Now now, I don't think Jobs is a sexist. He's an equal opportunities perv. Remember, he described Superman himself as :

fucking sexy

Don't be tarring him with the sexist brush, he'll wank over anything.

Edited by air_raid

Gratuitous ass shot aside, I'm still surprised that people think Anne Hathaway as Catwoman wasn't sexy. I think even people who despise Hathaway and Nolan have generally agreed that she was bang on in that role - alluring and seductive exactly when she needed to be. Especially in the beginning where she nicks the pearls.