DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Just finished The Battery. Fucking brilliant. Probably the best zombie film since the original Dawn Of The Dead.

I liked The Battery quite a lot, but it's not even the best zombie film since the remake of Dawn of the Dead -- Shaun came out after that, I think, and I'd probably put Zombieland above The Battery as well. It's definitely the best zombie film I've seen in the last two or three years though, and one of the most fantastic examples of a low-low-low-low-budget film ever.

What is the general consensus on No one Lives, around here? I watched it for the 2nd time last night, which only served to cement its place in my heart. Again, as with the previous film I mentioned in here (The Raid: Redemption), as a pure

• Awards Moderator
Finally got round to watching The Descendants, really enjoyed it, was one of those films where you'd love to see what happens with the main characters after the films finished, plus I'm fairly certain I'm in love with the eldest daughter

It made me want to visit Hawaii more than any of those films that depict it as paradise, strangely. Anyway, it's my favourite Alexander Payne film by a long way - Clooney is superb in it.

Apologies to the honourable Gladders, but I really enjoyed Only God Forgives. It ain't subtle, Refn really needs to start collaborating with writers and Gosling desperately needs to move on from only saying 20 lines of dialogue and brooding but I still dug this. It's visually gorgeous, for one. The story or lack thereof is almost hilariously basic, you could get away with renaming the thing Corridors and, again, it's about as subtle as a brick to the face but goddammit I was sucked right in.

I might have loved it.

Morgan Freeman to play me in the movie.

• Paid Members

Caught Looper on Lovefilm the other night (I couldnt convince "Myyyyy Wiiiiiife" to watch Ready to Rumble), and I have to say it lived up to the hype. Interesting story and ideas and impressed. Even Bruce Willis couldnt ruin it for me!

• Paid Members

Watched The Innkeepers last night - don't know why I keep falling for Ti West movies. The buzz always seems to be that he's the new horror guy to watch, but then outside of House of the Devil, which had its faults but was generally pretty classy, his work is B- at best. This one concerns a haunted B&B that is slated to close, and two employees who are working the last night in hopes of recording something scary. It has a weird, pointless cameo from Lena Dunham, and an equally useless Kelly McGillis, who is the only person there who looks like she saw a ghost. The reviews said that it was slow (it is) but builds to a horrific climax (it doesn't).

• Awards Moderator

Went to The Lone Ranger tonight. I can see why some people maybe wouldn't like it, but I've got no idea why so many critics would hate something so fun! Okay, the film could have been shorter (the middle section does drag), the frame narrative, while I liked it, wasn't really necessary, and there were some overly ridiculous moments - the carnivorous rabbits, some of Silver's antics - but the first section, including the trip to Monument Valley, and final setpiece on the two trains more than made up for all that. The latter is one of the best action sequences I've seen in ages, constant action and so much fun to watch. I am downloading the William Tell Overture as I type!

I always enjoy a film more when I watch it in a cinema. I don't think I'd have enjoyed Lone Ranger as much if I'd seen it for the first time on a TV / laptop / tablet.

Watched Doomsday last night. A clear homage to 28 Days Later, Escape from New York and Mad Max amongst others it was okay, nothing more. It clearly wasn't shot in Scotland for much of the filming, even though Neil Marshall wanted you to believe otherwise. Lots and lots of gore for an Action Horror as well.

• Paid Members

I thought it was terrible. I can't for the life of me think what Marshall was doing following up The Descent with THAT. The cast is dreadful as well - Rhona Mitra as the lead? Fucking hell.