DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
A TV show is an interesting idea, but I don't know how you'd get around the idea of having a lead whose face you never see. It can work in a movie, but a TV show with 13 or 22 hour long episodes of a year?

It can become part of the gimmick. Managed it in the comic for enough years. I recall one issue where Dredd was taking a bath in his apartment, and some perp broke in. You kept seeing Dredd from behind - still in the bath, loofah and all - barking at the guy and getting the Lawmaster to rough him up. Good times.

A Dredd TV series makes a lot of sense.

• Paid Members

I thought it was banned from video release but I can't find any information confirming that. It didn't bother Sky, they just premiered it when it was available.

• Paid Members

Excellent, cheers for the link, will have a watch of that tonight. Nope it was never actually banned, although there was an unofficial ban on the films on tv for quite some time due to the negative publicity, In fact I think the original was due to be screened the week all the publicity started. As far as I know the BBFC has never banned a film after awarding it a certificate.

• Paid Members

I believe Universal pulled the VHS of Child's Play 3 after about a week of release for sale in the UK. They didn't have to but the press it was getting made them think it wasn't worth it. So no it wasn't banned just pulled and then unreleased for years. Quite looking forward to watching it again.

• Paid Members
Is Child's Play 3 the one that ends with the showdown in the doll factory?

I really enjoyed that as a kid; pretty silly but scary enough for me to get into it.

That's the second one. Jenny Agutter's in that one as well.

Ended up watching 127 Hours last night and thought it was pretty boring. I thought the bloke who the unfortunate accident happened to is a right dickhead as a person. The film was shite and didn't have much structure after the initial 15 minutes.

I also hate how Danny Boyle shows so much product placement in his films.

Edited by Twinn

• Paid Members

Elysium - We were actually told not to talk about it, which is such a pompous, pretentious avenue to take from the studio/producer/cinema's standpoint and I personally don't see the point of stunting potential box office success due to positive word of mouth, because some exec wants to keep a secret for another week and a half.

Besides the nonsensical 'waiver', the movie is incredible. I am absolutely astounded at Neil Blonkamps maturity and vision as a director. The chap is only 33 years old, into his second movie, and Elysium pretty much shits on anything most established directors would churn out.

The vast scope of the worlds, the visuals, the plot and the fact that not once did anything look like a special effect or CGI is nothing short of dumbfounding.

It's a fast moving movie, never lets up and is probably my favourite sci-fi movie of the last 15 years at least (Event Horizon was 16 years ago)

It's no PG movie as it's violent, profane, meaningful and everything a grown man could want from escapism really.

Lately, I've been disillusioned with new releases - especially in the action or sci-fi genre's - preferring instead to watch or revisit old flicks that D-Mal, Lokester and our Johnny Matrix on here would recommend or refresh my memory with, but this absolutely captivated me to a level I've not had since Aliens. A lofty comparison, considering Aliens is my all time fave movie, but a fair one in the sense that I think this is the movie, in thirty years time where the kids (12 and under who get to see this with their Da's) of today will hold aloft as the ultimate grown up movie that blew their faces clean off their face, much like Aliens and Predator did to many of us.

Sharlto Copley is fucking incredible in this also and one of the best movie characters of recent times. I never once had him down as the proverbial bad ass. He's the fucking man now!

• Paid Members

Holy shit Scott! You're really making it sound impressive.

I watched Highwaymen last night for the first time since it came out in 2004, it's a dark vehicular murder based horror/thriller starring Jim Caviezel as a guy hunting down the creepy cripple who run over his wife 5 years ago. I remembered liking it at the time and I really enjoyed watching it again, it's really tight and tense and in a few ways it reminded me of the first Terminator (not a bad thing obviously). It's not surprising it's enjoyable as it's directed by the guy who made The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer - the best road based horror ever. In a lot of ways Highwaymen feels like a film from that period which I enjoyed too as 80s thrillers are my favourite films.

Also it's only about an hour and ten long which is cool for a change.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen District 9. I might rectify this later. That does sound pretty spectacular, Branquey.

I watched The Host last night, the Korean one. A total mess - some great bits, some shit bits, it should have stuck to trying to just be a monster film rather than about four different things at once. Still looking forward to the director's next film, Snowpiercer, though.

• Paid Members
I haven't seen District 9. I might rectify this later. That does sound pretty spectacular, Branquey.

I watched The Host last night, the Korean one. A total mess - some great bits, some shit bits, it should have stuck to trying to just be a monster film rather than about four different things at once. Still looking forward to the director's next film, Snowpiercer, though.

The Host was a bewildering mess, but captivating anyway. It never got back to the level of the first appearance of the creature, but I did enjoy the digs at Korean society, and it was very polished... except in the acting. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I thought that the acting was almost uniformly horrible.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the first attack along the river was really brilliant - perfect for a monster movie and funny as well. There just wasn't enough of that.

I don't think it's a cultural thing although I did wonder that myself. The other film I've seen from this director, Memories Of Murder, was just as bewildering but a better film overall. I've heard that another of his films, Mother, is a lot more focused so I'll certainly give that a shot.

• Paid Members

I've never seen The Host as it never appealed to me for some reason, and I do enjoy a good old fashioned monster movie.

Mother was very, very good, if a little unsettling at times. Really good stuff and actually giving me a goo to watch it again...

I was gonna watch Europa Report tonight. Anyone give that a punt?