DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I really like Cloverfield. I remember when it came out Mr Seven lost his shit because of the "battery life" issue. It took him out of the movie.

There's plenty not to like about Cloverfield but the battery life issue was probably the dumbest fucking thing to complain about. The film is supposed to be in real time...most cameras have a battery life of 2 hours minimum. And if the camera died then the movie would be over...it's just an insane thing to get mad about. I think the movie sucks but not for stupid stuff like that.

• Paid Members

Cloverfield's great fun. Didn't like the ending but I thought it was a really good monster movie and certainly one of the better examples of these usually awful found footage films.

Watched The Hunger Games and didn't mind it. Jennifer Lawrence is a superb actor, brilliant in everything I've seen her in. Didn't like the action sequences though, they were worse than Batman Begins for the stupid camera work and editing.

I think with films like Cloverfield you need to turn off your brain to some extent, just to enjoy the action. I love being challenged by smart films but I get just as much enjoyment from watching some ridiculous nonsense - providing it's high quality nonsense (if that makes sense).

I'll always have a soft spot for Cloverfield anyway, as I watched it while on holiday in New York. It was pretty cool taking the sights in for a week then sitting in a cinema and watching all the places you had just visited being fucked up by a monster. I'll admit that when I walked out of the cinema I was mildly disappointed that New York seemed to indeed be fine.

Watched The Hunger Games and didn't mind it. Jennifer Lawrence is a superb actor, brilliant in everything I've seen her in. Didn't like the action sequences though, they were worse than Batman Begins for the stupid camera work and editing.

She's great in that, really grounded. She's also amazing, just amazing in Winter's Bone.

I guess it's not a bad film, but it suffers from being essentially a ridiculous premise, and also from some very ambiguous storytelling, which I guess will get ironed out in the next film, but I was quite surprised they

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

won and then were allowed back home, seems unlike the totalitarian state's methodology up to that point

Plus as you say, the editing was just annoying.

Also glad to see appreciation of Cloverfield, it got a lot of flack when it came out and lots of valid criticisms, but it's pretty entertaining and well done. I'm firmly in the "like" camp with Abrams. Maybe sometimes he's a bit fussy, but he's clearly hugely talented and his films usually deliver bang for buck.

I don't mind the premise for The Hunger Games at all, but I thought the execution was very bad. The actual story, as told in the film, wasn't great and it wasn't told well. I'm always up for a Battle Royale type film, but they never seem to be done well, including Battle Royal. I must watch The Condemned again. Has anyone seen that one with Robert Carlyle, The Tournament? Any good?

I watched The Purge yesterday. Another one with a great premise in terms of story world, but not a good story. I think there's loads of mileage in that universe though for future films and comic book miniseries etc. But "unsympathetic family trapped in house" didn't do it for me at all.

Flight. I'm very indifferent about it at the moment and that is purely because I went into it expecting one thing and got completely the opposite. The reason for this is because I read the brief synopsis from IMDB, which said:-

An airline pilot saves almost all his passengers on his malfunctioning airliner which eventually crashed, but an investigation into the accident reveals something troubling.

So basically I was expecting some kind of conspiracy theory type film, which it really isn't. It's a bit misleading and a little inaccurate.

I will watch it again, jut so I can form a better opinion. I'm in love with Denzel Washington anyway, so I won't mind watching it again.

How did you manage that? All the hype around it when it cam out made it pretty clear what the story was about. I guess if you'd missed all the publicity about it, that synopsis does make is sound like Flightplan a bit.

• Paid Members

Denzel Washington's made basically the same film for the last 15 years now. A truly boring and pointless actor these days. A total waste of his talent.

Man On Fire was great though. He's just an action hero, isn't he? I know he's a better actor than just that, but fair play for being the only proper black action hero.