DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Denzel Washington's made basically the same film for the last 15 years now. A truly boring and pointless actor these days. A total waste of his talent.

You just shut up right now. Denzel is cool and sexy as fuck.

And yes Loki, I pretty much ignored everything about the film until last night.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Similarly, i might go to the cinema this weekend as i'm going to London for my birthday.

Knowing my tastes as you all should by now, any recommendations? The trailer for Only God Forgives looked decent, but i think D-Mal shat on it, Partridge should be excellent, but the trailers i've seen for that were shite, so i'm all confused.

• Paid Members

It's become a sort of tradition in that whenever my brother and I come to the big smoke, we head along to Leicester Square and watch something.

I dont go to the cinema often at all these days, and a visit to the local will have you dodging johnnies and having to chisel your shoes off the floor by the end of the movie.

Will be doing some other, more Londony things with the rest of my spare time.

The Conjuring

Non Spoilered.

Standard possession/haunted house film with solid performances throughout. Don't expect any new takes or revolutionary ideas though, it ticks all the boxes because the film does indeed tick all the boxes when it comes to all the things characters are supposed to do in their situation.

Also it has Patrick Wilson, I like Patrick Wilson.

• Paid Members
Knowing my tastes as you all should by now, any recommendations? The trailer for Only God Forgives looked decent, but i think D-Mal shat on it

It was crap. It's definitely not a birthday celebration film.

• Awards Moderator

I saw Pacific Rim last Thursday. It's taken me until tonight to muster up the effort to post the feeble review below, but that aside, I really enjoyed it for what it was, and what it was was GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING GIANT MONSTERS.

This is what got me excited when I first saw the trailer last December, and that's what I got. I saw it in IMAX as well, to heighten the feeling of GIANT ROBOTS and GIANT MONSTERS, FIGHTING, which I think was the best way to watch. There's no nuance to it at all, in terms or characters or storylines or themes or any of that rubbish, and watching as an adult there are loads of problems that jump out while you're watching, but the prevailing thought running through my head was that if I'd been watching it as an 8/10 year old - which is the audience del Toro was aiming for, I'd like to think, since that was the age when he fell in love with kaiju movies - then it'd become one of my favourites and I'd watch it dozens of times, because GIANT ROBOTS, FIGHTING, with GIANT MONSTERS. It's my own fault that I'm old enough to wish it had been slightly better.

That said, it's never bad as such - the comic relief characters aren't too annoying, the storyline is as basic/advanced as it ever needs to be, the action is spectacular, the creatures and effects look cool.

Idris Elba shouting about cancelling the apocalypse (as seen in the trailer) is still the best line in the film, too.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

My friend talked me into making the short journey over to his home on neighbouring Walney Island last night, with the promise of screening a great film. Tired and deflated after the burger challenge (see the comments and thoughts thread) I reluctantly accepted. Then he showed me The Raid: Redemption