DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Cant beat a good old fashioned monster movie. Q The winged serpent and Alligator were both favs growing up. The Host couldn't capture that sort of vibe. Again not sure if it is lost in translation but outside of the initial reveal I just couldn't get into it

Is it all effects-driven? I find all GCI monster movies hard to relate to, they tend to show too much and the monster never feels like it's a part of the world.

• Paid Members
Is it all effects-driven? I find all GCI monster movies hard to relate to, they tend to show too much and the monster never feels like it's a part of the world.

Its a big CGI monster. If I see a CGI monster in a film 9/10 it looks or moves wrong and takes you right out of the film. The shit in the remake/prequel of The Thing being a great example. Also the stunt man in a suit in Alien / Aliens is far better than the shitty Aliens in AvP. All the talk of Jurassic Park a few weeks ago reminded me just how right they got the mix of CGI and practical effects in those films. Its 20 years old and people still cant match it.

Edit: Also People need to use Stop Motion monsters more. They're ace

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
I didn't mind Cloverfield though, because you barely saw the fucking thing. Which was either very clever, or very lazy.

There's a double edged sword to not showing the monster. Cloverfield did a good job, Jaws did it great but it really does look shit when hes chewing on Robert Shaw. Have you ever seen The Keep? Its a fantastic early Michael Mann film and really builds the tension but the creature is the absolute drizzling shits and takes you right out of the film after such a long build

I was gonna watch Europa Report tonight. Anyone give that a punt?

I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I found it to be a pretty average found-footage-style sci-fi movie that is generally uneventful, unimpressive and boring for the 90-minute runtime. There are a few recognisable faces in the cast (Sharlto Copley, Michael Nyqvist, Christian Camargo, Daniel Wu), but they were unable to elevate the film beyond generic sci-fi or do much with the little they are given to work with. The acting is fine from the small cast, it has a good look to it and the special effects are good, but it could have been so much better if something interesting was done with the basic plot. Reminded me a little of Apollo 18 at times, only not as awful.

Re: Cloverfield. It's not really about the monster though is it. The monster is a secondary item. The film is shot through the perspective of a group of friends trying to survive an attack. I enjoyed the fact you saw very little of the monster. I actually think Cloverfield as a film is quite underrated. In an era where there's a bunch of 'filmed as if it's real footage of an actual occurrence' I think it did a pretty good job. It's biggest let down (and it is a biggy) is that the main characters have no redeeming features or qualities. It's still the best of a bunch though imo.

• Paid Members

I think iv'e said this before in here but I thought Cloverfield was awful, the main characters were rubbish and unlikable, very generic and while it was filmed nicely etc I didn't think the story was up to much either, as I recall it dragged and dragged despite not being very long, it does have it's fans on here though. One of them reminded me of Seth Rogen too which is never good.

Edited by Maverick

• Paid Members
I really like Cloverfield. I remember when it came out Mr Seven lost his shit because of the "battery life" issue. It took him out of the movie.

I love Seven's style. He's a great man!

Most found this character obnoxious, but I genuinely liked Hud and was SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

a bit sad he got chewed asunder by the monster in the end.

Last night I watched a fan edit of The Warriors. Has aged dreadfully at points and reminds me of the original Assault on Precinct 13. Like the latter, it never lost it's charm and is just a brilliant watch with cracking characters and such a simplistic, yet ridiculously entertaining and engaging plot.

I really fucking despise David Patrick Kelly in pretty much everything he's in. Not as an actor, but because that's what he wants me to do with his characters. That's a decent compliment for the chap.

Reminded me a little of Apollo 18 at times, only not as awful.

Yeah, that was my take on it too. It tried a little too hard to be a thinking persons Sci-Fi movie, but came off ignorantly pretentious. The time jumps were especially jarring.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
I really fucking despise David Patrick Kelly in pretty much everything he's in. Not as an actor, but because that's what he wants me to do with his characters. That's a decent compliment for the chap.

I dont need much of an excuse at the best of times...

commandophonebooth.gif

commandoilied.gif