DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It was interesting, stylish and really well acted. Loved Clint Mansell's soundtrack. But like all of Park's films, a terrible climax and ultimately nowhere near as good as it should have been.

Matthew Goode is a cracking actor, though. He was excellent in The Lookout as well.

• Paid Members

Just watched the Red Dawn remake. Now maybe it was because I was expecting a pile of steaming shit, but it turned out to be quite good.

Jingoistic as hell, but a fairly entertaining 90 minutes with some excellent action scenes.

• Paid Members
Only if I watch it! Does Gosling play an actual character in Half Nelson?

I've no idea, I've only seen him playing mute aspies to date. People keep recommending Lars And The Real Girl to me, but Half Nelson sounds more interesting.

Matthew Goode is a cracking actor, though. He was excellent in The Lookout as well.

He was well decent in the Poliakoff drama Dancing on The Edge, from earlier on this year. It's worth checking out and also has Mel Smith's last role as a hotel manager as well as having Guinevere from Merlin and John Goodman. I'm not Poliakoff's biggest fan as some of his dramas can be way to long winded and wistful, however the episodic nature of this helps the pacing even (though it does at times feel like one really really long film).

-I like how we were spared the whole "hero's big personal journey" most of these movies hit you over the head with. Dredd did change a bit by the end, but they didn't feel to draw a huge amount of attention to it or make it a big deal.

That

• Paid Members

I'd like to hear your opinions on "Childs Play 3". Watched an interesting documentry called "Ban the Sadist Videos!" (it's on Youtube. Do a search. It's in 2 parts) and this film was mentioned in regards to the Bulger murder.

Thanks!

• Paid Members
Only if I watch it! Does Gosling play an actual character in Half Nelson?

I've no idea, I've only seen him playing mute aspies to date. People keep recommending Lars And The Real Girl to me, but Half Nelson sounds more interesting.

I didn't like Half Nelson, he plays a drug addicted inner city teacher who befriends a little black girl who tries to help him turn his life around, it's so trite, like someone was pulling random elements to make a touching drama out of a hat. At least Lars and the real girl is a bit different.

If anyone wants to watch a decent Gosling film watch The Believer where he plays a Jewish Neo-Nazi, I was blown away when I saw it ten years ago so I kept my eye on him, it's good to see he's become successful but it's a shame he's become a bit of a parody of himself already and I hate his gimmick of being a totally beloved mainstream pin-up for girls who think they're choosing someone interesting.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members
I'd like to hear your opinions on "Childs Play 3". Watched an interesting documentry called "Ban the Sadist Videos!" (it's on Youtube. Do a search. It's in 2 parts) and this film was mentioned in regards to the Bulger murder.

Thanks!

Just a standard horror film sequel, really. I think I liked it more than the other two. It's nothing particularly appalling or owt.

Is Chucky 3 the one in army school? That's the best one if my child hood memory serves me right. Loads of young'uns get offed in it so it probably was quite controversial without the Bulger connection. I always thought that was a bogus point anyway, real life is way more violent than films.

If anyone wants to catch a little known Gosling gem try hunting down gritty romantic thriller The Notebook, a wonderfull little film. Yeah I've seen too much 7pm Film4 for my liking.

• Paid Members

Thanks!

Its not very special but mildly amusing slasher stuff. Weirdly I first saw it at a friends birthday party when I was about 10. Its was just before the Bulger murder. Haven't seen it for a very long time. It comes out on blu ray in the states in the complete Chucky collection in October. It also has the upcoming sequel Curse of Chucky and the rest of the franchise. So I'll be getting that.

• Paid Members
I'd like to hear your opinions on "Childs Play 3". Watched an interesting documentary called "Ban the Sadist Videos!" (it's on Youtube. Do a search. It's in 2 parts) and this film was mentioned in regards to the Bulger murder.

Thanks!

What did it say about its links to the Bulger case? It was quite widely publicised at the time that they had seen the film and the newspapers tried to latch onto as some last hurrah for the video nasty discussion it because shit like that is easy to sell. It actually came out that they hadn't actually watched (One of the boys fathers had rented it a month before the murder)

Like Gladders said its a quite generic sequel that managed to gain a level of infamy and publicity well above what it deserved.