DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Mask (1994)

This was on ITV2 last night. Cemented Jim Carey's place as one of Hollywood's comedic treasures and it was a major debut for Cameron Diaz, who looks absolutely phenomenal in it and has never looked as good since. Still holds up reasonably well considering it's age!

Summer of 84'

Pretty standard 'kids on bikes' fare with a Rear Window/The Burbs premise. Enjoyable enough but then the ending really kicks you in the dick. Well worth a watch if you're feeling the effects of Stranger Things being off for so long. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

The Mask (1994)

This was on ITV2 last night. Cemented Jim Carey's place as one of Hollywood's comedic treasures and it was a major debut for Cameron Diaz, who looks absolutely phenomenal in it and has never looked as good since. Still holds up reasonably well considering it's age!

Cameron Diaz was my first crush thanks to her first scene where she saunters into the bank. Infectious smile too, how can you not love her. I am absolutely ready to feel the crushing heartbreak when it's revealed she's a Trump supporter or Sandy Hook denier or some shit.

As part of my 'classic movies I haven't seen' list, I watched Jurassic Park on Saturday night. It's all right, isn't it? The balance of practical effects and (some rather ropey) CGI is balanced just right. The characters were fun to be around for the most part except for Sam Neil, who was so dry and bland he almost blended into the scenery. I thought Goldblum had a bigger part in the movie instead of lying down and selling his leg for half of it which was a bit disappointing. Still, a thumbs up from me. The big question is; do I bother with the sequels and remakes? I've been told number 3 is proper shit and that the remakes are a typically bloated Hollywood mess.

11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Summer of 84'

Pretty standard 'kids on bikes' fare with a Rear Window/The Burbs premise. Enjoyable enough but then the ending really kicks you in the dick. Well worth a watch if you're feeling the effects of Stranger Things being off for so long. 

I watched Summer if 84' on Saturday, thought was a decent enough film, the ending annoyed so I am pleased I am not the only one! 

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I'd go for the original trilogy and take or leave the Jurassic World films.  Pete Postlethwaite big game hunter makes The Lost World (JP2) worth it even before you take Julianne Moore's (<3) appearance into consideration.  JP3 is treated a bit harshly IMO, apart from the comical Sam Neill dream sequences it's still better than either of the JW films.

My JP order is a straightforward 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

1 is an all-time favourite of mine.

2 I loved at the time (I was 10), went off for a long time, but have recently found a lot of fun in. Postlethwaite as mentioned, and one of the best tense action sequences in any of them (the one with the RV about halfway through).

3 is fine. It's not spectacular but it still feels like a JW film. I'm a big Alan Grant fan so it was great having him back. This was one of the first films in which the internet helped hype me up for its release (the website - which would probably look like terrible flash animation today - was cracking).

4 I quite enjoy while I'm watching it, in parts (there are even one or two scenes that wouldn't be out of place in the original... well, maybe one) but the more I think about it the more I dislike it.

5 is the biggest pile of poisonous shite I've maybe ever seen.

• Paid Members

Mission Impossible (1996)

I hadn't watched it since it first came out on VHS in the local rental shop, so I really didn't remember it very much. I thought it was very good, particularly the scenes set in Langley. Some good action throughout, that the series wouldn't half ramp up as it went on. 

Death Wish (1974)

It's a shame to say it, but I really didn't enjoy it at all. I love Charles Bronson, and I really like these lone wolf, avenger style films where the hero sets out to right the wrongs of the world, but I just couldn't get into it. I preferred Bronson in The Mechanic, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Dirty Dozen and The Great Escape. If the first is the best of the Death Wish series, then I'm unlikely to seek out the rest.

Caught Deadpool 2 yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The post credit scenes had me in tears. I was told it's not as good as the first one but I would say that the story is better in the second. As a Cable fan, I was disappointed with his performance to try and be the next punisher but it's still a good film. 

4 stars.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Cheers lads! I think I'll stick to the second one for the time being then. What one has the ludicrous gymnastic sequence? Hopefully it's three as I don't think I can stand to watch that awkwardness again.

That is the second one, but all a matter of perspective. There's a beautiful Raptor jump-scare in the same sequence, and if you think that's Raptor mistreatment, it's nothing compared to 4 and 5 where they decide they're more like puppies really.

Maggie's Game

Continuing my Greta Gerwig obsession, this was way too 'oooh, intellectuals living in trendy flats in Brooklyn and having middle class problems' for me, and that's a genre I actually really like. It was OK, decent cast of Gerwig, Bill Hader, Ethan Hawke, Julianne Moore as well

To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Watched with the eldest. Very sweet film, and a notch above the usual teen dross. Thought Lana Condor was really excellent, she's one to watch.

Logan

Considering I think that 99% of superhero films are absolute cack, I really enjoyed this. It may have been because of the more adult nature and gritty. I haven't watched any of the previous X-Men films so I was a bit lost for the first 15 minutes or so and some of the CGI when they're in the cars was awful, but apart from that, brilliant.

More movies with 12 year olds stabbing men in the skull, please.

Oh yeah, I also watched The Last Jedi last night with the missus but got pretty bored by it and switched off when I looked up and saw Chewie having a crisis of conscience over eating meat.