Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

But it wasn't his character. He didn't even have to think about any aspect of it - it was already in a movie that he could copy it from: the movements, the mannerisms, the facepaint, the clothes, the personality, the mysterious aura.

How does that stop it being a great gimmick though? You've made the case for where the gimmick came from but not for how that detracts from how good it was?

It wasn't good because it was stolen - period. That it itself completely detracts from how good it was. That's just my opinion on it. He portrayed a cool character - but it wasn't his character.

It wasn't good because it was stolen - period. That it itself completely detracts from how good it was. That's just my opinion on it. He portrayed a cool character - but it wasn't his character.

Er isn't that what every actor on the planet does. Takes a role and makes it their own? I mean Robert Downey Jr, is Iron Man,  but does that make it any less good because he isnt a comic book?..

Entertainer performs role. Sure it's based on something else. Does it well. Where's the issue?? Confused by the whole thing where someone playing a persona is chastised for not doing something original or true to himself in a scripted form of entertainment.. The mind boggles.

• Paid Members

Stinger's done it twice too, remember when he briefly appropriated the Heath Ledger Joker gimmick? He was fun then, and to think, all he had to do was wait 20 years for another face painted movie character to come along that he could copy.

I really don't mind it, in fact I wish more wrestlers were based on characters from movies and stuff. Simon Dean playing Ben Stiller in Dodgeball was great. Not everyone can come up with a complex character like Bray Wyatt, I don't see what's wrong with borrowing looks or character traits from pop culture as long as it works and it's not just a full cheap rip off.

• Paid Members

I know most gimmicks are influenced, or heavily influenced by other characters or pop culture, which is fine! You gotta get inspiration from somewhere. But IMO it's completely shit & unoriginal to just come in with a complete rip-off of another character. This was a case of a blatant rip-off, IMO - not just an inspiration. He was the Crow. He stole the gimmick - he didn't just take inspiration from. So no kudos from me for that.

Edited by herbie747

Stinger's done it twice too, remember when he briefly appropriated the Heath Ledger Joker gimmick? He was fun then, and to think, all he had to do was wait 20 years for another face painted movie character to come along that he could copy.

I really don't mind it, in fact I wish more wrestlers were based on characters from movies and stuff. Simon Dean playing Ben Stiller in Dodgeball was great. Not everyone can come up with a complex character like Bray Wyatt, I don't see what's wrong with borrowing looks or character traits from pop culture as long as it works and it's not just a full cheap rip off.

Even Bray Wyatt is effectively Max Cady from Cape Fear to some degree, the same way Waylon Mercy copied that character and Spivey helped Bray create the character apparently.

Summerslam 90 is an absolute belter, arguably the most underrated WWE PPV ever. I stuck it on for the millionth time to watch Dusty's heartbreak so wonderfully played, but I ended up watching the entire bastard thing. Well paced, no real duds, and a shitload to grab onto from a not-particularly-fertile time for the company. And Roddy Piper is a bigoted mouthy cunt on commentary and still can't ruin it. Is it just my nostalgia or does everybody else think it's the bees knees?

• Paid Members

Summerslam 90 is an absolute belter, arguably the most underrated WWE PPV ever. I stuck it on for the millionth time to watch Dusty's heartbreak so wonderfully played, but I ended up watching the entire bastard thing. Well paced, no real duds, and a shitload to grab onto from a not-particularly-fertile time for the company. And Roddy Piper is a bigoted mouthy cunt on commentary and still can't ruin it. Is it just my nostalgia or does everybody else think it's the bees knees?

The first PPV I ever saw and still my favourite to this day. It really is superb. There are two brilliant matches, a few reasonable ones, the killer Dusty interview and the cracking Rockers angle but it was the colour that drew me in. It's such a vibrant show.

I was very dispointed watching it at the time, stilldo not really rate it now. 88 and 89 were far far superior in my view. I remember watching it and thinking that the first few matches just flew by and also being disapointed with The Hulkster match ending.

But i can understand people liking it, especially if it was their first ppv.

It was my second PPV so it's got the nostalgia thing in it's favour, but even that can't redeem it for me. The action's short and shit. It's a PPV of memorable promos only, and it stands out a mile in between the two fantastic Summerslams either side of it.

It would've been a fun extended SNME, but for a PPV, nah, it wasn't up to much. Outwith the tag title match, it looked like everyone was bringing GAB '91 levels of effort.

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members

SummerSlam 90 is amazing. Its so colourful, its almost blinding. I just think orange and light blue when I think of it. And there are about 800 interviews on it. It seemed like everyone had mic time. Dusty, Jake, Earthquake, Hogan, Kerry Von Erich, Perfect, Warrior, Boss Man, Savage, Rude and a few other all had time on the microphone, both before and after their matches. I could watch it at anytime of the day or night. SummerSlam 89 and SummerSlam 90 might be my favourite events.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay