Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

aad108e57f99909282112ef9c5b545ff.jpg

Shine a light. That's one of my favourite wrestling pics ever. Can anyone produce one of him in the flannel shirt mentioned above? I can't picture it, and Google Image doesn't seem able to find it.

• Paid Members

I never understood people who thought Sting had a great gimmick - it was just Brandon Lee in the Crow. It's not Sting's gimmick - he stole it from a movie. All the material & mannerisms were already mapped out for him on film. It's the equivalent of praising a karaoke singer for originality.

Edited by herbie747

Yeah the whole nWo thing really did seem like a bunch of old men tryin to be "gangsta" in the end, much as i loved it.

Good point on Sting, I saw some of the early Crow stuff and it was insane they never recieved any sort of backlash from the Crow creator/filmmakers. I guess wrestling gets away with a lot of copyright infringement, though.

Yeah the whole nWo thing really did seem like a bunch of old men tryin to be "gangsta" in the end, much as i loved it.

Good point on Sting, I saw some of the early Crow stuff and it was insane they never recieved any sort of backlash from the Crow creator/filmmakers. I guess wrestling gets away with a lot of copyright infringement, though.

• Paid Members

Ripping something office easy. Doing it well and making it something you are remembered for is a whole other matter.

Translating it to something as niche as Wrestling is on another level.

But it wasn't his character. He didn't even have to think about any aspect of it - it was already in a movie that he could copy it from: the movements, the mannerisms, the facepaint, the clothes, the personality, the mysterious aura.

I just find it all very underwhelming when someone copies something and then gets credit for it. And this wasn't just an "influenced by" situation - it's a carbon copy. Like when Robocop came out. And Mr Frostie (the Mortal Combat guy) or whatever.

tumblr_n1bdocbggs1sg99p0o1_1280.jpg

But it wasn't his character. He didn't even have to think about any aspect of it - it was already in a movie that he could copy it from: the movements, the mannerisms, the facepaint, the clothes, the personality, the mysterious aura.

How does that stop it being a great gimmick though? You've made the case for where the gimmick came from but not for how that detracts from how good it was?