Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

SummerSlam 90 has the Harts winning, Perfect bumping like a nutter, a Power-Plex and Hogan. It's almost a perfect 80s/90s show for me. It's not quite Rumble '91.... which I'd be tempted to call my favourite PPV of the Hulkamania years. Except that would NOT be fair to Flair.

• Paid Members

Stinger's done it twice too, remember when he briefly appropriated the Heath Ledger Joker gimmick? He was fun then, and to think, all he had to do was wait 20 years for another face painted movie character to come along that he could copy.

I really don't mind it, in fact I wish more wrestlers were based on characters from movies and stuff. Simon Dean playing Ben Stiller in Dodgeball was great. Not everyone can come up with a complex character like Bray Wyatt, I don't see what's wrong with borrowing looks or character traits from pop culture as long as it works and it's not just a full cheap rip off.

Even Bray Wyatt is effectively Max Cady from Cape Fear to some degree, the same way Waylon Mercy copied that character and Spivey helped Bray create the character apparently.

Waylon Mercy is definitely directly a rip-off of Max Cady, but Bray Wyatt's more a fusion of various things, including Cady, Charles Manson and a number of other things, as this awesome, incredibly detailed piece by Astro/SickWoy describes.

I know most gimmicks are influenced, or heavily influenced by other characters or pop culture, which is fine! You gotta get inspiration from somewhere. But IMO it's completely shit & unoriginal to just come in with a complete rip-off of another character. This was a case of a blatant rip-off, IMO - not just an inspiration. He was the Crow. He stole the gimmick - he didn't just take inspiration from. So no kudos from me for that.

I missed the bit where the NWO shot him and raped and killed his bird, who cares if he stole it? If he'd robbed a gimmick from a wrestler in another promotion then fair enough slag him off, he took something off a comic book/film, how does that take away from its impact?

• Paid Members

I know most gimmicks are influenced, or heavily influenced by other characters or pop culture, which is fine! You gotta get inspiration from somewhere. But IMO it's completely shit & unoriginal to just come in with a complete rip-off of another character. This was a case of a blatant rip-off, IMO - not just an inspiration. He was the Crow. He stole the gimmick - he didn't just take inspiration from. So no kudos from me for that.

how does that take away from its impact?

Because when he appears for the first time, you say: "Ooooh who's this? Oh, it's just Sting dressed like The Crow." Like if someone one wore a Superman costume - it looks like fancy dress. It may have been less lame if he'd done it years after the movie; but he didn't.

• Paid Members

Razor Ramon was just Tony Montana but he doesn't get stick for that.

Wrestling looks to popular culture for inspiration all the time

1) The movie was out 11 years before.

2) He didn't dress exactly like him.

3) Yeah, it was still shit. Just a bad impression of Tony Montana. I'm sure a 10 year old would be impressed, but I was 15 at the time Razor debuted & had just seen Scarface too, so thought it was lame.

Look - I have no problem with people taking influence from other places - but when it crosses the line of simply being a complete rip-off of something that is current  (and also doing it better & is the original) - that's when it becomes shit.

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

Well he drew a fortune for WCW so it obviously wasn't shit

So if I don't like a gimmick but they drew money, I therefore have to like it? IMO the Tony Montana rip-off gimmick was shit (which he toned down in WCW anyway when he use his real name). IMO the Sting Crow rip-off was shit. IMO.

This is a random thoughts thread. That was my random thought. I thought Sting's Crow rip-off gimmick was lame. Moving on...

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

I'm never too keen on Sheamus as a face but he's a great heel.

He's like Edge for me, I get bored of him instantly as a face but like him as a heel. Except I love Sheamus as a heel, especially this run. I really hope he's not too tainted by his last couple of years of drifting around the card because I'd be perfectly happy to see him at the top again . Especially if he gets to fight Brock.

Edited by Call me Bellend

Referee Joey Marella had just turned 24 when he referee'd Hogan v Andre at Wrestlemania III.

That seems incredibly young for what was the biggest match by far in wrestling history at the time. Any reason why the much older and experienced Earl Hebner didn't do it?