The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

That's sounds pretty badass! We did a similar thing with belly port at (the single) BBQ we had this summer. Just put the pork on the grill & closed the BBQ lid while the coals were heating up, it slow cooked & all the fat rendered down. Cut it into little strips & added loads of salt & pepper. They were like mini-scratching nibbles...really good!

I'll take that pulled pork recipe too if you wanna put it up on here please :)

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members

I bought some potato cakes yesterday. First time I've had them for years and another thing they inexplicably don't sell down south, because it's shit and full of shit.

On the subject of pulled pork, I hadn't even heard of it until last year and it's one of those things that you just see and hear everywhere now.

I'm glad you've fucked off back to the north, Gladstone. You complained about everything down here, even though you'd chosen to live in a relative shithole. Surrey has some of the finest pubs/restaurants/attractions in the UK, so enjoy your potato cakes and tractor fayres and whippet racing and whatever other nonsense you clearly enjoy.

I'm glad you've fucked off back to the north, Gladstone. You complained about everything down here, even though you'd chosen to live in a relative shithole. Surrey has some of the finest pubs/restaurants/attractions in the UK, so enjoy your potato cakes and tractor fayres and whippet racing and whatever other nonsense you clearly enjoy.

You stick to Only Fools & Horses, we'll stick to Phoenix Nights ;)

• Paid Members

I never chose to live anywhere, actually, some people don't get a choice in where they have to live and don't have a jetty off their back garden to moor their canal boat either.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
I get so embarrassed for people from the North when they try to argue it's better than the South, it's cute that they try though, the dear silly little things.

If it was better, we'd live there. Logic.

The Midlands is where it's at, best of both worlds.

The accent though. Come on. Can you hear it yourself or do you hear Humphrey Bogart when you speak?

Sorry completely forgot about this.. :laugh:

Pulled Pork and BBQ sauce

5 lb Pork shoulder ( Bone in)

2 onions, sliced

1 onion, chopped

1 pint water

1 Pint BBQ sauce ( make your own!)

salt and pepper

Preparation:

Place one sliced onion at the bottom of slowcooker.

season Pork Shoulder with salt and pepper.

Place Shoulder in slow cooker on top of the sliced onion. Cover with the second sliced onion and add enough water to fill Crock Pot two thirds of the way.

Cover and cook on low 8 to 12 hours.

Remove roast. Remove and discard bone and fat as well as any water, onions and grease remaining in pot.

When pork roast is cool enough to handle, use a fork or your fingers to pull it apart until the entire roast is shredded.

Return the pulled pork to the crockpot. Mix in the chopped onion and BBQ sauce and cover. Heat on high for 1-3 hours or until the onions are soft.

Serve on large, crusty rolls ( Morrisons do 2 rustic rolls for about 70p in there bakery, these are my favourite for this) with Homemade coleslaw

Bonus Recipe

BBQ Sauce

1/2 Pint apple cider vinegar

1/2 Pint ketchup ( Bransons is best)

3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon English mustard

1 tablespoon Molasses

1 teaspoon Salt

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine and heat till sugar dissolves, then cool.

Edited by Donkey Dick

The accent though. Come on. Can you hear it yourself or do you hear Humphrey Bogart when you speak?

We only hear it when recorded and played back, never when we're speaking. It'd be unbearable. If I end up on a phonecall where there's an echo and I can hear my own voice, I have to hang up.

Regardless, arguing over which end of the country is better than the other is stupid. North and south means fuck all in terms of quality. London's the best place, Blackpool is second, then it's a tie between Birmingham and Liverpool, then all the other cities are equal.